Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 05:12 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If he showed himself today to the entire world...how long do you think it would be until people said it was not proof enough? How many would say it was a camera trick? Or that it was some kind of natural phenomena?
If god were to show himself to only the pope in Rome or to only a selective group of people
of course everyone else would doubt it was real. But if god were to come down today and
actually show himself to the ENTIRE world going around the world making appearances
in every major city as you suggest, then there would be no doubt to anyone of his existence.

Sure there might be a few deniers left even after seeing him with their own eyes but they would
be a fringe minority and probably be considered crazy by everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
The church split apart from Judaism about 100 years after Jesus died, Christianity was a legal sect of Judaism and NOBODY could be in an unauthorized religion when Rome was ruling the world.

For the most part ancient Rome didn't care about who or what their conquered subjects worshipped as long as you
paid your tribute and didn't try to resist their rule, and you didn't practice human sacrifice. Though they did
persecute the christians but that was because christians were preaching things like the belief in one god,
claiming that a commoner of low birth (named Jesus) was the son of god etc. They were also not very fond of
the aggressive proselytizing efforts christians would engage in which they viewed as a direct threat to the
Roman state religion.

Not to pick on Christianity when it comes to things like the Inquisition because it is still being practiced
today by Islam. In many muslim countries today you can be shot or stoned to death for certain acts of
heresy and nonbelief, insulting the prophet Muhammad, etc.

Last edited by cisco kid; 01-22-2015 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 05:12 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
Quote:
From the time of Genesis he was with Adam and Eve....then he spoke to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He gave visions to Joseph. He spoke through prophets throughout the OT. In Exodus He called Moses in a burning bush, and let him catch a glimpse of the back of him as he passed. He appeared to the Israelites as a pillar of fire by night, and a cloud of smoke by day.

Did God appear as a physical humanoid form? No. The closest to that would be when the OT uses the phrase "Angel of the Lord". It's believed that it might have been God appearing as the pre-incarnate Christ.
Is there a story of someone going blind from seeing God in the Bible?

What does the Bible say God looked like? What did the Angel of the Lord look like?

Old 01-22-2015, 05:22 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
If he showed himself today to the entire world...how long do you think it would be until people said it was not proof enough? How many would say it was a camera trick? Or that it was some kind of natural phenomena?
I will grant you he wouldn't get 100% buy-in. But I think 95% is totally doable.

I for instance was, back in the day, willing for him to remain invisible; I just needed him answer appropriate prayer and fulfill promises. If he actually was holding court physically on earth or running a call-in show, that would be frosting on the cake ;-) but you know really the whole baroque thing about faith is totally unnecessary for an all-powerful god anyway, as is sin, forgiveness, and punishment. God is capable of making himself unambiguously known beyond question to everyone and making the whole problem go away.
He doesn't. Why? Well maybe it's structured the way it is: invisible god, most fulfillment deferred to an invisible afterlife, faith required, not evidence ... because there's no "there" there.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:30 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I will grant you he wouldn't get 100% buy-in. But I think 95% is totally doable.
And in no time it would be forgotten, or explained away somehow. It happened repeatedly throughout history.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
Is there a story of someone going blind from seeing God in the Bible?
I'm sorry..I'm not familiar with any such story.
Quote:
What does the Bible say God looked like? What did the Angel of the Lord look like?
The Bible really doesn't give us details on that.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry..I'm not familiar with any such story.

I wish I could remember this story. I think I even watched a movie and in the movie it was an old man who went inside a temple and saw God, when he came out he was blind. I will have to look this up.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I wish I could remember this story. I think I even watched a movie and in the movie it was an old man who went inside a temple and saw God, when he came out he was blind. I will have to look this up.
Perhaps you're thinking of Saul/Paul? He encountered Jesus on the road to Damascus. He was blinded and sent into Damascus to find Ananias, who prayed for him and he regained his sight.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Sounds like Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you're thinking of Saul/Paul? He encountered Jesus on the road to Damascus. He was blinded and sent into Damascus to find Ananias, who prayed for him and he regained his sight.
That might be it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sounds like Raiders of the Lost Ark.
haha! Maybe I got the stories mixed up.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:24 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Quote:
Wow you're really negative aren't you? You severely underestimate the human spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality