Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 02:39 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,762,243 times

Advertisements

God shows up for me all the time. If you expect God to be some dude with a beard then I guess you won't see him, but that is not what God is to me. I admit I am not sure if there is more to God than what God has made known to me, but I think there is, and maybe one day I will know more of God. For now I am happy.

ok, I admit there are times I do wish there was more, that some of the questions I have God would answer, but I trust God and I know there must be a reason for it to be the way it is for now (as far as proof of God).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 02:43 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,951,127 times
`Some of you will just have to wait til you die, I know for sure and don't care what a naysayer has to remark

Old 01-22-2015, 03:20 PM

23,202 posts, read 10,485,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
It's not easy to get people to believe in an imaginary being.
So the church had to have 400 years of the Inquisition to force them
to believe upon pain of torture and death.

The church split apart from Judaism about 100 years after Jesus died, Christianity was a legal sect of Judaism and NOBODY could be in an unauthorized religion when Rome was ruling the world. Christianity was filled with gentile converts to Judaism, and those first gentiles were zealous to become like Jews. Gentiles flooded the synagogues with Jews everywhere, and they did not separate until the great synagogue burned around the time of the fall of Jerusalem in 135 A.D.

The fire was blamed on the gentile converts because the Jews wanted the gentiles out and Rome was desperate to separate the gentile from Keeping the feasts of Jerusalem.

If the world began keeping the feasts of Jerusalem, then Jerusalem would be the one place that all people made a pilgrimage to, and Rome could not afford this to happen. The only option they had was to try and separate the gentile from the feasts of Jesus.

So whatever you put on the church by inquisitions and crusades, it has nothing to do with the first Christian converts to Judaism. The church went after gentiles who dared keep the feasts of Jesus like the Jews kept.

So whatever you see does not reflect on the first church.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:27 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,802,194 times
Quote:
It's not easy to get people to believe in an imaginary being.
So the church had to have 400 years of the Inquisition to force them
to believe upon pain of torture and death.
Yeah you got that right!

Old 01-22-2015, 03:45 PM

18,505 posts, read 9,181,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
`Some of you will just have to wait til you die, I know for sure and don't care what a naysayer has to remark
Is it the threat of hell that makes you a believer?

Old 01-22-2015, 03:45 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,408,675 times
Quote:
if god wants people to know he exists why not just show himself?
Perhaps it would be like you trying to show yourself to the cells that make up your body?

Old 01-22-2015, 03:51 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,981,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If he showed himself today to the entire world...how long do you think it would be until people said it was not proof enough? How many would say it was a camera trick? Or that it was some kind of natural phenomena?
Since he hasn't done that yet (and since the world has existed approximately 4.5 Billion years, he's had a lot of opportunity to do so) your argument is irrelevant. You have the right to believe in anything you want, but presupposing the existence of a deity based on your hypothetical scenario is a particularly weak deduction.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:48 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,212,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Since he hasn't done that yet (and since the world has existed approximately 4.5 Billion years, he's had a lot of opportunity to do so) your argument is irrelevant. You have the right to believe in anything you want, but presupposing the existence of a deity based on your hypothetical scenario is a particularly weak deduction.
He did so repeatedly in the Old Testament. They saw him, and wandered away. Why are you more special than them?

Old 01-22-2015, 04:52 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,762,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He did so repeatedly in the Old Testament. They saw him, and wandered away. Why are you more special than them?
How did God show himself in the OT? I think there is a story of a man going blind after seeing God, but I don't remember what he saw. There are also stories of people hearing the voice of God, but did people actually see God in a physical form and what did they see?

Old 01-22-2015, 04:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,212,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
How did God show himself in the OT? I think there is a story of a man going blind after seeing God, but I don't remember what he saw. There are also stories of people hearing the voice of God, but did people actually see God in a physical form and what did they see?
From the time of Genesis he was with Adam and Eve....then he spoke to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He gave visions to Joseph. He spoke through prophets throughout the OT. In Exodus He called Moses in a burning bush, and let him catch a glimpse of the back of him as he passed. He appeared to the Israelites as a pillar of fire by night, and a cloud of smoke by day.

Did God appear as a physical humanoid form? No. The closest to that would be when the OT uses the phrase "Angel of the Lord". It's believed that it might have been God appearing as the pre-incarnate Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality