Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Christ a yogi?
Yes, and one of the most advanced to ever have incarnated on earth 28 60.87%
Yogi? what's that? hmmmmm I don't know, don't think so 18 39.13%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:07 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times

Advertisements

I found this article and I thought it's very interesting, was Christ a yogi?

I've always believed he was a perfect yogi and one of the most advanced that have ever been on earth, what are your thoughts?

Jesus versus Churchianity

Was Christ a Yogi?
By Swami Abhedananda
Ramakrishna Vedanta Math, Calcutta

In considering whether or not Christ was a Yogi, we should first understand how spiritual and how divine one must be before he can be called a Yogi. A true Yogi must be pure, chaste, spotless, self-sacrificing and the absolute master of himself. Humility, unostentatiousness, forgiveness, uprightness, and firmness of purpose must adorn his character. A true Yogi’s mind should not be attached to sense-objects or sense-pleasures. He should be free from egotism, pride, vanity and earthly ambition. Seeing the ephemeral nature of the phenomenal world and reflecting upon the misery, suffering, sorrow and disease with which our earthly existence is beset, he should renounce his attachment to external things, which produce but fleeting sensations of pleasure. He should overcome all that clinging to worldly life, which is so strong in ordinary mortals.

Moderator cut: original content please-snippet and link only

Last edited by Alpha8207; 01-08-2008 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 08:57 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Sorry, Travelling fella, but in a word, NO! Jesus may have exhibited all the good qualities you associate with that, but Jesus was much more than that. I believe that the Bible teaches that He was diety incarnate, the Almighty God, uncreated, eternal. Merry Christmas, Travelling Fella!

Old 12-22-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Sorry, Travelling fella, but in a word, NO! Jesus may have exhibited all the good qualities you associate with that, but Jesus was much more than that. I believe that the Bible teaches that He was diety incarnate, the Almighty God, uncreated, eternal. Merry Christmas, Travelling Fella!
With much respect dear Kakay That's what a Christ Yogi is or a Mahavatar, which means Divine incarnation, Avatars are on a superior level than saints

there are:

Premavatars who are incarnations of divine love
Jhannavatars who are incarnations of wisdom
Yogavatars, who are incarnatons of the holy Yoga science

and Mahavatars, Divine incarnations: the Almighty God, uncreated, eternal inhabiting a body.

but the idea was not to convince anyone of this, but to have an enlightening, respectful and constructive dialogue

Merry christmas to you too, and merry christmas to everybody, full of love, peace, hapiness, light, compassion, brotherhood, and all what Christ means!

Last edited by Travelling fella; 12-22-2007 at 09:21 AM..

Old 12-22-2007, 10:13 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
No Jesus is God.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No Jesus is God.
And what's a perfect yogui that has attained the Christ concsiousness?

Christ concsiousness = My father and I are one

Cosmic consciousness = I am him

But in order to move from Christ consciousness to Cosmic consciousness you need to leave the mortal body beyond

Any human being that makes the effort can erase humanity and attain divinity by yoga.

Krishna was God, too, the supreme God's personality that's another mahavatar

Last edited by Travelling fella; 12-22-2007 at 10:32 AM..

Old 12-22-2007, 10:18 AM

14,883 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Travelling Fella, I believe that the Christian scriptures teach that Jesus was the image of the invisible God, the only mediator between God and man, and the only way that mankind is reconciled to God. There is salvation in no other name.

John 14:6 (NAS)

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. no one comes to the Father, but through Me."

Jesus Christ

God bless and take care.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Travelling Fella, I believe that the Christian scriptures teach that Jesus was the image of the invisible God, the only mediator between God and man, and the only way that mankind is reconciled to God. There is salvation in no other name.

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. no one comes to the Father, but through Me."

Jesus Christ

God bless and take care.
But when he refers to that, he is speaking of the Christ consciousness or the Son of God.

the christ consciousness is omnipresent in creation, it's the intelligence that regulates this world, and is in charge of the physical and metaphysical laws of it, like gravity or karma.

the christ concsiousness works in conjunction with the holy spirit or sacred vibration, she is the intelligence that guides creation in this plane

Humans who purify their minds, bodies and souls by devotion, unselfish action, meditation and introspection can tune in with the christ consciousness and become divine (according to yoga)

God bless you too, God bless us all with his divine light!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:39 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post

There are many who say that when Jesus said this, he wasn't referring to himself, per se; he was admonishing his followers to look inside themselves. Jesus often spoke in ways that were difficult to understand.

If we are all created in the image of God, then this internal path is the quickest and most intimate path one can follow to find to God.

Should one follow the religion of Jesus, or the religion about Jesus?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:44 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
I always thought that he was a Jew.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:10 AM

14,883 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Hi Tim, I believe that we are called to follow Jesus. Here are some Christian scriptures which speak to the sovereignty of Jesus Christ and that He is the only way to the Father. God bless.

"Have this attitude in yourselves, which was also in Christ Jesus, who although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God, a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond servant, and being made in the likeness of men, and being found in appearance of a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every name should bow, of those who are in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth., and that every tongue should confess that Jesus is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2)

15.” He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. 18. He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything. 19. For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, 20. and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.”. (Colossians 1:16-20)

“For I want you to know how great a struggle I have on your behalf and for those who are at Laodicea, and for all those who have not personally seen my face, 2. that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God's mystery, that is, Christ Himself, 3. in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” Colossians 2:1-3

1. "For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles-- 2. if indeed you have heard of the stewardship of God's grace which was given to me for you; 3. that by revelation there was made known to me the mystery, as I wrote before in brief. 4. By referring to this, when you read you can understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5. which in other generations was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit; 6. to be specific, that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel, 7. of which I was made a minister, according to the gift of God's grace which was given to me according to the working of His power. 8. To me, the very least of all saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ, 9. and to bring to light what is the administration of the mystery which for ages has been hidden in God who created all things; 10. so that the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known through the church to the rulers and the authorities in the heavenly places. 11. This was in accordance with the eternal (aionion) purpose which He carried out in Christ Jesus our Lord, 12. in whom we have boldness and confident access through faith in Him. 13. Therefore I ask you not to lose heart at my tribulations on your behalf, for they are your glory. 14. For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, 15. from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, 16. that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, 17. so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18. may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 19. and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. 20. Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, 21. to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. (of the age of the ages) Amen.
Colossians 3

5. "For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,6. who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time. (or to be given)7. For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying) as a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth." (1Timothy 2:5-7)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality