Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Christ a yogi?
Yes, and one of the most advanced to ever have incarnated on earth 28 60.87%
Yogi? what's that? hmmmmm I don't know, don't think so 18 39.13%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I have never read so much hogwash as has been put forth on this thread !

Jesus is the Christ, the only begotten Son of the living God, PERIOD !
Are you able to express and explain in your own words, without referring to the bible, what that means exactly?
What is a "begotten son of the living God"?
What do you mean by "living God"?
And if you had any depth of spiritual understanding you would understand that much of what the poster you are slamming said is clear and true and is not in any way in conflict with the truth of Christ.
And how in the world can you claim that the post is "hogwash" when you have no idea of what he's even saying?
And if you don't understand these higher and more expansive levels of spiritual expression, why not just say, "hmmmm, i don't understand" instead of throwing stones?
Why are so many Christians so nasty and defensive and judgmental? These qualities are so far from the teachings and essence of Christ.
And finally, it is my experience that humility and grace go hand in hand.
Why are so many Christians of your ilk so lacking in humility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 10:44 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post

I imagine so.
Most people have such an incredibly limited notion of who Jesus was and their only source of so-called knowledge regarding Jesus and the Christ is the bible and that is so very unfortunate.
There is no awareness of the deeper, esoteric streams of "Christianity" and a sad reliance on a collection of words expressed by a very imperfect bunch of humans.
And adding to these sad facts is the insistence that it (the bible) is the "word of god" and the only way to know and understand Christ.
The interpretation and misinterpretation and mis-use of that book has done more harm than good.
Sigh.

Attachment 20894
Yes, I believe Jesus is misunderstood by his "followers". I'm not sure why their post's always seem so defensive/agressive and the follower's of the Christlike self seem more peaceful and loving. I also wonder why many Christians would much rather see a gory picture of Jesus dying and bleeding on the cross, than a picture of Jesus in a meditative pose.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:43 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Yes, I believe Jesus is misunderstood by his "followers". I'm not sure why their post's always seem so defensive/agressive and the follower's of the Christlike self seem more peaceful and loving. I also wonder why many Christians would much rather see a gory picture of Jesus dying and bleeding on the cross, than a picture of Jesus in a meditative pose.
The kind of absolute certainty that many fundamentalists express usually covers grave doubt but the very nature of indoctrination disallows doubt and questioning.
A person who has not faced their own shadow(s) ... the darker aspects of their own "nature" ... is ridden with deep anxiety and fear. But they're not conscious of these shadows and they have been taught and encouraged to project those shadows onto others (and we all do this to some extent until we're relatively awake), whether it be the "non-believer" or Satan or whoever/whatever. And their church supports them in this mentality and behavior. The blind leads the blind. The hatred and intolerance is justified in the name of Christ. Man .... that is truly messed up!
I've actually never seen as much hatred and hostility than i have from so many so-called Christians. I'm not being glib or flip when i say that the anti-christ is at work here and many people are unwitting tools of that force ... the force that denies life, love, truth, unity, etc., etc.
The distortion and perversion of the essence of Christ is truly tragic and is doing nothing to further the good cause of peace on earth.
My goodness ... Jesus is the prince of peace! What has happened?
The crucification thing. I dunno. Symbols are powerful and that one is mesmerizing.
That's how i see it anyway.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:19 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
I guess that Christians are 'obsessed' with Jesus dying and being resurrected.
I personally don't care if Jesus died or if he ever was resurrected, but if Jesus never was resurrected Christianity is proven to be false while it doesn't matter to me.
I find Jesus' philosophy more important than Christ's resurrection.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:56 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
I also wonder why many Christians would much rather see a gory picture of Jesus dying and bleeding on the cross, than a picture of Jesus in a meditative pose.
This is something that beats me Krishna had a tragic death as well, but when have you seen a painting of Krishna dying tragically?

The Lord was reposing under the tree with His feet crossed. The hunter from far afar saw the feet moving and thought it was a deer and so he pulled the arrow. After seeing that it was Lord Krishna, the hunter cried and pleaded guilty but the Lord smiled and forgave him and said that it was all His plan.

The Lord descended on earth as a human being. He had to act as a human being and after finishing His task He had to leave the earth. So He planned to leave as a human being.

Everything happens with the will and plan of God. Nothing happens without His permission.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:58 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I have never read so much hogwash as has been put forth on this thread !

Jesus is the Christ, the only begotten Son of the living God, PERIOD !
Perhaps you should think less!!! If you are such a loving christian why the hostility? Are you afraid of a bit of controvery? That's what your response indicates.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:00 PM

84 posts, read 272,957 times
some may consider the Christ to be an Avatar

Old 07-31-2008, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 7,607 times
Exclamation Regarding comparing God with the Son of God

[quote=spm62;2319872][quote=Travelling fella;231943]

Christ is the key here. Jesus Christ was born of God of the virgin mary. He had no earthly father. He is separate and distinct from any other personality. He died on a cross and was resurrected for your salvation.Something no other human including buddha,krishna or anybody else you can name could ever hope to do. Because Jesus was the one.. and only one... sinless person that ever walked on the earth. Buddha and all humans that have lived or ever will live were and are sinners and will one day confess that Jesus is Lord. That he is their savior. They are in need of a savior just like you and me. If they have not confessed that and believed it in their heart they will face the wrath of God Almighty just like the rest of sinful humanity. The wrath of Almighty God is a horrible thing my friend,I hope you pray To God the Father for understanding and to open your eyes to his truth.Turn away from and not fall for the god consciousness theory. It will lead you to wrath and destruction. Remember,satan is the father of lies. Do not be deceived. Open the bible and search for the truth. If you truly seek him God will show you.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

The reason for the similarities is because satan is the father of lies. He shows himself as an angel of light. He strives to be like God.

I was just surfing internet and i stumbled upon this post where i found some people with good intentions talking about Krishna and Buddha and such personalities so authoritatively. But i totally understand from your posts that you have no knowledge about who Krishna and Buddha are acknowledged to be. Jesus is acknowledged even by Hindu Vedic scriptures as son of God and a messenger of God sent by God. But you can not compare Krishna with Jesus because according to the Vedic scriptures Krishna is the name of THAT VERY GOD who sent Jesus for you. Bible may call God by some other name and Vedic scriptures may call Him Krishna. God has unlimited names because He is unlimited and everything He has is unlimited. The world got the information that some personalities with the name Krishna and Buddha came on this earth from revealed vedic scriptures so you have to talk about such personalities in the light of those revealed scriptures otherwise its just mental speculation and totally useless gossip. The scriptures that inform us about those personalities also tell us that they were not human beings. Krishna is the name of the same supreme Lord who you want to go to after this life ... and Buddha is acknowledged by the same scriptures to be another incarnation of the same God. Lord Buddha gave a different philosophy under different time and circumstances but the aim is the same ultimately. Thanks to my spiritual master and God, I see no confusion in different religions. But I don't understand how can you compare your God with Jesus? I'm sure Jesus won't like it and he never meant it too. Honestly ask yourself - did you have this information that Krishna and Buddha are not human beings like us but God Himself, before you said that "Something no other human including buddha,krishna or anybody else you can name could ever hope to do. Because Jesus was the one.. and only one... sinless person that ever walked on the earth. Buddha and all humans that have lived or ever will live were and are sinners and will one day confess that Jesus is Lord. That he is their savior."

i totally acknowledge beyond doubt that Jesus is son of God and the savior. but your statement says that he is savior of God Himself? get your facts right before you say something in emotions ... coz you're talking about God so lets base it on facts from the scriptures. Me and you and mortals like us could be wrong but authorized scriptures can not be wrong.

My spiritual master Srila Prabhupada says that religion and scriptures are given by God. If it's man-made it's not true religion. And there is a principle given in the revealed scriptures, according to which God and His representatives (spiritual masters) may preach various ways to reach Him under various time, place and circumstances. This is called as different religions. In Vedic scriptures there is a mention of all the incarnations of God that ever happen in this world, on the basis of which some personalities like Krishna, Rama and Buddha and many more are recognized as God. Hindus are not supposed to believe that somebody is God based on emotions. Jesus is mentioned in the revealed vedic scriptures too - i've read the shloka where He is mentioned but i forgot which book it belonged to. i need to check this but i think he is mentioned in "Bhavishya Puarana" as well as in "Bhagvatam". Jesus is mentioned as Shaktyavesha Avatar ... which means empowered incarnation. He was a spiritual master who was empowered by the Lord Himself to propagate Lord's message. And yes it's true that He is the only way to God. In Vedic scriptures also it is said that we can not approach God directly. We have to be initiated by a bonafide Spiritual Master who comes in disciplic succession that starts from God Himself. so when He says "I'm the only way to God ... he is right because spiritual master is the only way to understand our true relationship with God. And to wake-up to that state of being is the ultimate goal ... which is the topmost form of liberation, as given in the revealed vedic scriptures. Someone may say," oh Jesus is mentioned as an incarnation?". There are understood to be many types of incarnations as there are different types of liberation ... and its a big subject matter.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:23 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
A true Yogi must be pure, chaste, spotless, self-sacrificing and the absolute master of himself.
You may form a different opinion if you go to Pashupati Temple during Shiva Ratri in Katmandu and see the Saddhus (yogis) sitting in filth, smoking hashish and charging tourists to take their pictures. They are not "chaste" in any sense of the word either if there are women foolish enough to take them in. Bhagwan Rajneesh was not God as he claimed; he was a yogi, a fakir. Same for Sai Baba and the Maharishi. The Lord Jesus Christ was not a yogi. He is God.

I can't leave this without pointing out that the Hindu religion is not understandable by anyone including it's Brahman priests. The countless gods and godesses mutate from male to female, from good to evil, and have different names and characteristics from one region to another. No one can make sense of it because it is nonsensical. An opium dream. Is Vishnu supreme? Shiva? Kali? Isn't Kali Shiva in female form? Why is Shiva addicted to ganja and on his second marriage if he is god (Parvati is not his first wife)? Can you accept Ganesh as a real being, half man/half elephant? Hanuman, a monkey god?! If the Hindu dieties have any reality at all they are demons, not gods, and want to be worshipped as gods. Open your eyes man!!! This is evil, mind and soul destroying stuff!!

Last edited by Bideshi; 08-01-2008 at 11:45 AM..

Old 08-01-2008, 11:50 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I guess that Christians are 'obsessed' with Jesus dying and being resurrected.
I find Jesus' philosophy more important than Christ's resurrection.
That He died and was resurrected is cause for obsessing. He defeated death itself. Many have been great philosophers: Confucius, Gautama, etc., but they are all dead. Jesus is alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality