Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:49 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,962,071 times

Advertisements

Why are we so spiritually stupid?

It all has to do with God unveiling Himself to you. I'm not so sure I would label it "stupid" though. Maybe better to label it "ignorant"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 02:51 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,962,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
It's like saying: why can't babies know everything? Why can't they take care of themselves? Why do children need parents and teachers?

Because we do not know the answers... that's why. We have to find them. Teachers and such are the people who already discovered some of the answers. And we hope they could share with us.

But as someone said: often it's too hard to share the insights... people just won't get it unless they experience and learn it themselves through experience
Well thought out response, LoveWisdom!

Old 04-10-2014, 04:03 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,705 times
Spiritually stupid because we are too connected to the unimportant things of this world. Our priorities are way out of whack. Too caught up here to be thinking of spiritual.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 AM

381 posts, read 814,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
For one thing we can't save ourselves, individuals under the guise of humanism will think so I am sure. My Savior is in Jesus Christ, so call me stupid but He is my path to Heaven.
And that in a nutshell is the problem with Christianity. A lot of Eastern religions believe it is upon the individual to save himself. Therefore, Eastern religions put the burden upon each individual. Which is a conservative ideology when it comes to economics.

The idea of a saviour puts the responsibility on someone else. It is essentially, socialized spirituality.

Therefore, America is not a Christian nation, but rather one built on Hindu, Buddhist, Jainist principles.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:32 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
And that in a nutshell is the problem with Christianity. A lot of Eastern religions believe it is upon the individual to save himself. Therefore, Eastern religions put the burden upon each individual. Which is a conservative ideology when it comes to economics.

The idea of a saviour puts the responsibility on someone else. It is essentially, socialized spirituality.

Therefore, America is not a Christian nation, but rather one built on Hindu, Buddhist, Jainist principles.
(bolding mine)

I agree. I also feel it allows people to simply not address global issues because after all, the world is supposed to be carp and "evil" and "difficult" and very unpleasant and "imperfect", the earth is supposed to be partially annihilated and partially Raptured some day and God will either destroy it all or fix it all, earthly/"material" things are "bad" so why bother fixing things here on earth? Just wait for heaven. These viewpoints are obvious by how many very religious Christian people (not all Christians, obviously) think environmentalists are "crackpots" and insist on an almost joyous view that the world is "going to pot" either way.

That really bothers me.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:06 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
It's like saying: why can't babies know everything? Why can't they take care of themselves? Why do children need parents and teachers?

Because we do not know the answers... that's why. We have to find them. Teachers and such are the people who already discovered some of the answers. And we hope they could share with us.

But as someone said: often it's too hard to share the insights... people just won't get it unless they experience and learn it themselves through experience

Old 04-11-2014, 02:05 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
(bolding mine)

I agree. I also feel it allows people to simply not address global issues because after all, the world is supposed to be carp and "evil" and "difficult" and very unpleasant and "imperfect", the earth is supposed to be partially annihilated and partially Raptured some day and God will either destroy it all or fix it all, earthly/"material" things are "bad" so why bother fixing things here on earth? Just wait for heaven. These viewpoints are obvious by how many very religious Christian people (not all Christians, obviously) think environmentalists are "crackpots" and insist on an almost joyous view that the world is "going to pot" either way.

That really bothers me.
Apocalyptic Christians would happily sabotage the progress of humanity because they don't want things to get better. They don't want peace in the Middle East or for America to pull itself out of its economic slump. They don't want Iran and the West to peacefully co-exist or for North Korea to stop building nuclear weapons. They don't want to fund scientists searching for meteors that could possibly hit us or for scientists to learn more about our climate, what causes earthquakes, or any technology that might allow us to head off a disaster. They also don't want crime to decrease and many of them are rabidly pro-gun, probably because they know the more guns on the street, the more likely there is for another Sandy Hook.

I'm not saying they are evil people. What I am saying, however, is that their twisted version of religion requires everything to be horrible so that Jesus can come and fix everything. Freedom is just too much to bear, too many responsibilities, so they yearn for a celestial dictator to come down and rule us all - and when I say "all" I of course mean only those who share the same twisted version of religion

Actually working toward peace and prosperity would be to work against what they perceive to be their better interests.

After all, many of them beleive in the Anti-Christ, some vague figure that is supposed to bring global peace - which means anyone whose goal it is to stop warfare is potentially the Anti-Christ. It sets them up to be suspicious and even hateful of leaders who just might solve pressing and bloody political issues. Sure, these sorts of Christians are supposed to oppose the Anti-Christ, but they're just going through the motions. This period of human history has already been foretold so it isn't like they're going to overthrow him. No, it's just part of the fantasy of being a martyr for Christ.

I agree, it bothers me, too - especially since it only takes one relgious nut to touch of a global war and ensure that their prophecies come true.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:27 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
I can't wait for the second coming of the Lord, no I don't want to be around for the tribulation, but to know the Lord will set up a new cosmos, I can hardly wait.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:13 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I can't wait for the second coming of the Lord, no I don't want to be around for the tribulation, but to know the Lord will set up a new cosmos, I can hardly wait.
So you can't wait for the world to suffer awfully, but as for you, you'll just take the good part?

I find these "I can't wait until everything comes crashing in" comments and threads really, really disturbing.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:46 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
So you can't wait for the world to suffer awfully, but as for you, you'll just take the good part?

I find these "I can't wait until everything comes crashing in" comments and threads really, really disturbing.
I agree.

That mindset is only a hop and a skip away from strapping explosives to oneself and hurrying off to heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality