Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,372,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Baloney...youre a Sinner just like the rest of Humanity regardless what you 'believe' or dont . Sin is a transgression against the One whos Moral Law was prescribed and infused in all of our hearts ...and THAT, isnt religious law...it is Gods very character, person, and nature. One day you WILL have a great desire for Gods salvation (not mine) and it isnt 'my personal beliefs' ... the standard is God and always has been long before I came along.

There IS something wrong with you , Me , and everyone of us...and its the obvious inherent dark side we all have to our human personality and no one is exempt from it ; each of us has the opportunity to get it taken care of by the only means possible via Christ on the cross paying the ultimate price for our sins, and if you choose instead to pretend you arent that bad of a person since you never murdered anyone and so blow of your sin DEBT, then you be in for a very regretful time ahead. Its not about religion, but it is about getting reconciled to a very holy God that is real ; its man-made philosophy which pushes deception on people to think they can live anyway they feel like without a shred of ultimate moral accountability and to pretend we dont need a personal Creator for our personal creation (willful atheism) .
FWIW, there's absolutely no source anywhere in the bible to support this claim quoted above. Sure, it may be a belief of modern day Chrstians (in their "New Testaments"), but there's no bible source to back up this claim. "Original sin" has absolutely no foundation to be found anywhere in the bible. It's rubbish.

And in case anybody's interested, us Jews do not think athiests, Chrstians, Buddhists or anybody else has to be "saved" to gain a share in the world to come. Live a moral life, and you're all set (the only benefit of following a reputible religion is to give you some fence posts to know what a "moral life" means. But in reality, most of us are born with pretty good moral compasses, so just giving it your best shot will likely do the trick).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 12:23 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,117,280 times
Let me preface this comment by saying I'm not a particularly religious person...but I don't really understand those of the 'saved' who go around discussing the state of everyone else's soul. No one can truly know what's in another person's heart and mind. That's up to God, assuming there is one.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:25 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,467,471 times
Quote:
'Santa Claus' , 'The Toothfairy' , and 'SkyPixie' ... represents adult games people play by not wanting a personal theistic Creator for our personal intellectually designed and created Cosmos and instead wish to go with futile thinking that it all just happened 'naturally' including an accidental one celled pond protozoa popping into existence from accidental dead chemicals which went onto produce a purposed human brain that the worlds top scientists cant begin to duplicate in a controlled Lab using vast amounts of intellect, specified information, experience, and a will for it to succeed. Now, THAT is hocus pocus and something no rational 'Atheist' could ever muster up enough FAITH in . Not to worry though....the rest of humanity hasnt got that kind of incredible blind FAITH either.
I think it's funny that every single time you get upset, in whatever thread it may be, you fall back on this lame argument that numerous people have debunked numerous times. It's comical to watch you sputter and moan with this stupid argument founded on straw men and completely unfalsifiable claims.

It shows your unoriginality, your inability to think multi-dimensionally, and it's also telling about how you come to the (il)logical conclusions of your faith. It could be a thread on politics, religion or internet wi-fi and as soon as you get flustered the words "protozoa, natural, accidental, dead chemicals, and purposed human" spring up.

It's gotten so bad lately that I'm reminded of Pee-Wee Herman's infamous "I know you are but what am I," scene in Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Do us all a favor and come up with your own arguments and used them where applicable - not just every time you get bent out of shape.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:50 PM

16,708 posts, read 15,709,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Baloney. Sin is a transgression against a religious law. I don't subscribe to the religion, therefore I have not sinned. I have neither a desire for or need for your salvation. What you write is insulting to good people who do not believe as you do. You are in essences saying, "There is something wrong with you since you do not believe as I do".
Quote:
Baloney...youre a Sinner just like the rest of Humanity regardless what you 'believe' or dont . Sin is a transgression against the One whos Moral Law was prescribed and infused in all of our hearts ...and THAT, isnt religious law...it is Gods very character, person, and nature. One day you WILL have a great desire for Gods salvation (not mine) and it isnt 'my personal beliefs' ... the standard is God and always has been long before I came along. .....
Well, the way I see it, you (007.5) are not charged with deciding that Cosmicstargoat is a sinner. Since Cosmic does not subscribe to your religion (and says he hasn't therefore sinned), I don't see how you can know what has been infused in his heart. I also fail to see how you can know that Cosmic WILL have a great desire for God's salvation. (How DID you know that, anyway?)

Old 07-23-2012, 02:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,676,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
So that's the reason you are in the list; do you even need to ask him anymore?
If you look around, the religion has basically become about faith and not about trying to be a good person. I'm sure that your roommate's particular sect requires that you hate all other historical religious leaders. So you don't fit their version of Jesus' saved club.
He doesn't know that about me, but I get your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Let me preface this comment by saying I'm not a particularly religious person...but I don't really understand those of the 'saved' who go around discussing the state of everyone else's soul. No one can truly know what's in another person's heart and mind. That's up to God, assuming there is one.
This, more or less.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:18 AM

434 posts, read 342,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
. They are likely praying for you and all the people on the list. And really, what can that hurt?
What can it hurt?
If the OP ever made it known he was not interested, yet the room mate prayed in this manner anyway, that is essentially black magic.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 AM

684 posts, read 826,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
What can it hurt?
If the OP ever made it known he was not interested, yet the room mate prayed in this manner anyway, that is essentially black magic.
I think this is just a case of misunderstandings between two essentially decent human beings. To me, there are only really two options:

1) The original poster's roommate is correct in his beliefs. If he is correct and the original poster is doomed without salvation, then it is the religious person's moral imperative to warn him in the manner that I would if I saw someone crossing the street while a bus is coming. I would not stop to consider, "What if this person has a headache and me yelling at him to watch out might antagonize him." or "What if this person's family doesn't believe in buses? Will I offend him by suggesting he is about to be hit by a bus?"

Instead, I would merely warn him as best I could. If he is correct, then he is essentially trying to save the original poster. We may not like the methods, but that's fine as it's done out of love.

2) The original poster's roommate is incorrect in his beliefs. If this is the case, then he is merely exhibiting a misplaced concern. In this case, I would simply feel good that someone cared about me.

I firmly believe that we live in an era where there is room for many types of people - People who agree with me and people who don't. If the original poster disagrees with his roommate and finds his warning to be baseless, then simply wish the religious man well and be on your way. I'm fairly certain that the religious roommate doesn't care that Moslems think him condemned, or Buddhists think him wrong in his beliefs that there is only one way to God, or that Sikhs disagree with him. He is simply firm in his convictions.

Simply respect his beliefs even if you disagree with him and be grateful that he cares, even if you find the method of his caring to be misplaced. Better than wasting anger and offense on something done out of caring.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:18 AM

I would not really wish to entertain the false dichotomy of Pascal's Wager. Instead, I would reiterate that the prayer toward a person who may have previously stated a contrary belief [I am unsure whether that's the case for the OP in terms of actively having told the room mate about it previously, Im reading a lot of different spots here], but IF that were the case, then the prayer is a form of black magic and is NOT merely a harmless, benevolent little activity.

Now, I am not one to actively think the OP should somehow seek some outside 'protection' since I doubt such an idea would be taken seriously here [nor am I sure how seriously even the threat of an antagonistic prayer would be seen here, but, w/e]. It's likely the OP is fine in any case as the fundamentalists God does not really exist, since he is illogical and a God who possesses illogical properties is just a human invention and cannot exist. However, you still are faced with the fact that a person with whom the OP is rooming, is actively performing aggressive Will exercises, directed at the OP, in secret while cohabiting with him. Any number of dangerous situations could arise, most of them merely spiritual [for those who think such things hold actual weight], or devolving into active physical threats.

At least ten percent of the general population are crazy, folks. And unsupervised. Think about it.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 AM

684 posts, read 826,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
I would not really wish to entertain the false dichotomy of Pascal's Wager.
I think I may have missed it. Can you explain who brought up Pascal's Wager?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:23 AM

It was you who sort of skirted it.. perhaps it was merely the wording....

I could be wrong, that's actually happened!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality