Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,784,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Tell him you found his list for Santa Claus, but want to know if it was the 'naughty' or 'nice' list.
'Santa Claus' , 'The Toothfairy' , and 'SkyPixie' ... represents adult games people play by not wanting a personal theistic Creator for our personal intellectually designed and created Cosmos and instead wish to go with futile thinking that it all just happened 'naturally' including an accidental one celled pond protozoa popping into existence from accidental dead chemicals which went onto produce a purposed human brain that the worlds top scientists cant begin to duplicate in a controlled Lab using vast amounts of intellect, specified information, experience, and a will for it to succeed. Now, THAT is hocus pocus and something no rational 'Atheist' could ever muster up enough FAITH in . Not to worry though....the rest of humanity hasnt got that kind of incredible blind FAITH either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,238,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Basically, you are saved from driving yourself crazy by trying to make sense of all this stuff.
Add another unsaved to the list...

Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Not to worry though....the rest of humanity hasnt got that kind of incredible blind FAITH either.
And another...

Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
No thanks, he/she/it can keep the gifts.
And yet another...

Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
One of the best things about being "unsaved" is that you don't have to believe what someone else tells you to believe.
And..oh never mind.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,865,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
My religious roomate, who attends a whole bunch of bible studies and other religious get togethers, left out a piece of paper that reads...

Name five people you peraonally know are unsaved.

I was the second one listed.

Firstly, unsaved from what? God? Death? The "afterlife"...whatever that is?

Secondly, at what point did it become acceptable to discuss my religious convictions (of which I have little/any) when I'm not even there to defend them? It's like I'm being judged by a group of people who hardly know me! Pretentious much?

Thirdly, if they must know, I'm not anti god. I'm anti humans trying to understand god. He/She/It is beyond my understanding. If he/she/it makes everything the way it is, I do not understand his/her/its rational. I gave up trying to. I've made peace with just living a moral life, as much as I know how, (with godly ideas mixed in), and hoping that that will be enough. If I did my best, how can god fault me for that?

Maybe I didn't do his best...but he/she/it is god after all...how could I have been expected to?

You do not appear to be "saved" from your description of yourself above.

Your roommate likely never intended for you to see their list, so don't hold it against them. They are likely praying for you and all the people on the list. And really, what can that hurt?

I would suggest you pose your questions above to your roommate. He/she would be more than willing to explain what being saved means and why it it important to them and the world

Old 07-23-2012, 09:31 AM

131 posts, read 261,443 times
Maybe he is unable to think of a way to tell you without hurting your feelings, young Christians are also different from older Christians (no one can be considered unsaved until they die and are judged). Perhaps whoever made up his present assignment should have worded it more as, name five people and decide if they could be convicted of being a Christian, then your questions would have been answered without a blanket accusation of who you are.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,681,349 times
Quote:
If you have little if any religious conviction then you are not a real Christian.
Eeek, I don't believe Christ was particularly divine...not more divine than any of the other historical religious leaders. Whether he was god sent or not, who knows? Aren't we all god sent?
Perhaps he just managed to live a moral life, more moral than most, and in that way, he's a good example to follow. Which is what a Christian is, right?
Quote:
You do not appear to be "saved" from your description of yourself above.
Saved from what? Hell?

I just think the after life will be like the before life. A state of nothingness. Nothing wrong with that. It gives me a lot I want to do before I arrive.

In that sense, I'm saved. Who is to say I'm not?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:51 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,083,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Eeek, I don't believe Christ was particularly divine...not more divine than any of the other historical religious leaders. Whether he was god sent or not, who knows? Aren't we all god sent?
Perhaps he just managed to live a moral life, more moral than most, and in that way, he's a good example to follow. Which is what a Christian is, right?

Saved from what? Hell?

I just think the after life will be like the before life. A state of nothingness. Nothing wrong with that. It gives me a lot I want to do before I arrive.

In that sense, I'm saved. Who is to say I'm not?
So that's the reason you are in the list; do you even need to ask him anymore?
If you look around, the religion has basically become about faith and not about trying to be a good person. I'm sure that your roommate's particular sect requires that you hate all other historical religious leaders. So you don't fit their version of Jesus' saved club.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,961,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Baloney...youre a Sinner just like the rest of Humanity regardless what you 'believe' or dont . Sin is a transgression against the One whos Moral Law was prescribed and infused in all of our hearts ...and THAT, isnt religious law...it is Gods very character, person, and nature. One day you WILL have a great desire for Gods salvation (not mine) and it isnt 'my personal beliefs' ... the standard is God and always has been long before I came along.

There IS something wrong with you , Me , and everyone of us...and its the obvious inherent dark side we all have to our human personality and no one is exempt from it ; each of us has the opportunity to get it taken care of by the only means possible via Christ on the cross paying the ultimate price for our sins, and if you choose instead to pretend you arent that bad of a person since you never murdered anyone and so blow of your sin DEBT, then you be in for a very regretful time ahead. Its not about religion, but it is about getting reconciled to a very holy God that is real ; its man-made philosophy which pushes deception on people to think they can live anyway they feel like without a shred of ultimate moral accountability and to pretend we dont need a personal Creator for our personal creation (willful atheism) .

don't you think the idea that we are born with sin, deprived and deserved eternal torture is one of the most degrading and dehumanizing religious concepts created by man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality