Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 04:00 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,835 times

Advertisements

This might be more awesome...

I can see me at the Pearly gates now with this in my back pocket..

Amazon.com: The Bible (Cliffs Notes): Books: Charles H. Patterson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 04:00 PM

443 posts, read 1,541,164 times
A question:
Under nazi occupation of European countries, would Christian citizens of those countries be required to submit to Nazi authority, or would the doctrine of Christianity compel them to forcibly resist?

Old 09-07-2007, 04:15 PM

you can forcibly resist in your mind.. do you mean physically resist?

Old 09-07-2007, 04:40 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,398 times
I believe, as a child, the rule I was taught to follow was the Golden Rule...
"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you".

Old 09-07-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
I believe, as a child, the rule I was taught to follow was the Golden Rule...
"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you".
Kind of a flawed rule.. If someone punches me in the face.. I'm supposed to punch them back?

Old 09-07-2007, 05:06 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Kind of a flawed rule.. If someone punches me in the face.. I'm supposed to punch them back?
Flip that around. If you punched someone in the face, would you want them to punch you back?

Oh....the answer I'm looking for here is a simple "yes" or "no". I don't want to hear any "yeah, but...." or "that's not the point....." or "what I mean is....."

Yes, or no?

Old 09-07-2007, 06:18 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
No. You're supposed to turn the other cheek.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:59 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by Willys
Quote:
No. You're supposed to turn the other cheek.
I don't mind turning the other cheek. If he keeps beating me when I am not resisting I will eventually strike back, because only evil people enjoy harming people who do not resist.
In which case I do not mind to smite evil.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:47 PM

128 posts, read 408,976 times
Bigthirsty, as to the Law Covenant contained in the Old Testament, the Scriptres say in the New Testament, "For Christ is the end of the Law..." (Rom. 10:4) When God accepted the sacrafice of Jesus, the Law was done away with. Colossians 2:13, 14 says, "Furthermore, though you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcised state of your flesh, [God] made you alive together with Him. He kindly forgave us all our trespasses, and blotted out the handwritten document against us, which consisted of decrees and which was in opposition to us, and He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake." And again at Ephesians 2:14, 15 says, "...By means of his [Jesus] flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandemnts consisting in decrees..." The apostle Paul says concerning the Law Covenant, "In saying, "a new [covenant]" he has made the former one obsolete. Now that which is made obsolete and growing old is near to vanishing away." (Hebrews 8:13) This is also what is meant when Jesus speaks of the unshrunk patch of cloth on a piece of clothes and of old and new wineskins. (Matthew 9:14-17) The old Law Covenant was being replaced with the new Covenant initiated by Christ Jesus.

So, does that mean that we no longer have to follow the moral aspects of the Law? By no means! Malachi 3:6 says, "For I am Jehovah, I have not changed..." By doing away with the Law God was not changing his standards. The principals embodied in the Law are beneficial for us today. Please read Romans 13:8-10, Epeshians 6:1-3, Romans 12:19-Compare Leveticus 19:18. Christians do not need to conform to a set code of laws, decrees, fetivals and sacrafices, for Hebrews 8:7-10 says, "For if that first covenant had been faultless, no place would have been sought for a second; for he [God] does find fault with the peoples when he says, "Look! There are days coming," says Jehovah, "and I will conclude with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant, and not according to the covenant that I made with their forefathers in the day of my taking hold of their hand to bring them forth out of the land of Egypt, because they did not continue in my covenant, so that I stopped caring for them," says Jehovah." But why do we not need the Law Covenant? Hebrews 8:7-10 continues, "For this is the covenant that I shall conclude with the house of Israel after those days," says Jehovah, "I will put my laws in their mind, and in their hearts I shall write them. And I will become thier God, and they themselves will become my people." Chrsitians follow the example of Jesus Christ by cultivating the fruits of the Holy Spirit, (Galatians 5:22) and not by following the Law Covenant which is obsolete. They live not by the the circumcision of the flesh according to the Law but by the circumcision of the heart according to the Holy Spirit. -Acts 12:1-20

Old 09-08-2007, 04:58 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Emphasis mine.

Do Christians have to obey the Old Testament law?

Question: "Do Christians have to obey the Old Testament law?"

Answer: The key to understanding this issue is knowing that the Old Testament law was given to the nation of Israel, not to Christians. Some of the laws were to make the Israelites know how to obey and please God (the Ten Commandments for example), some of them were to show them how to worship God (the sacrificial system), some of them were to simply make the Israelites different from other nations (the food and clothing rules). None of the Old Testament law applies to us today. When Jesus died on the cross, He put an end to the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23-25; Ephesians 2:15).

In place of the Old Testament law, we are under the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2) which is to, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” (Matthew 22:37-40). If we do these two things, we will be fulfilling all that Christ wants for us to do, “This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome” (1 John 5:3). Technically, the Ten Commandments are not even applicable to Christians. However, 9 of the Ten Commandments are repeated in the New Testament (all except the command to observe the Sabbath day). Obviously, if we are loving God we won't be worshipping other gods or worshipping idols. If we are loving our neighbors, we won't be murdering them, lying to them, committing adultery against them, or coveting what belongs to them. So, we are not under any of the requirements of the Old Testament law. We are to love God and love our neighbors. If we do those two things faithfully, everything else will fall into place.
who are christians?... Last I remember the first ones were jews. if jews and christians believe in the same g-d why did the christians stop following g-d instructions.where in the old testament did g-d say jesus was the answer to saving us from sin.

Here is the real truth as a christian you follow what every you want because in the end of the day you can believe in jesus and he will save you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality