Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:29 PM

465 posts, read 465,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
You do realize its still 2010 right?
I'm a time traveler. Sorry, I forgot where I was for a minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 10:10 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,704,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
that they don't start preaching the simplistic "condoms are a 100% effective and solve everything" message.
And just whom are you falsely accusing of ever "preaching" that?

Old 11-20-2010, 11:53 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,897,410 times
Pope says: "Condoms aceptable for gay men"

Well of course they are!!! Heaven forbid if one of them got pregnant!!!!

Old 11-21-2010, 12:06 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,573,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think that's part of the point. The action is already sinful and non-procreative, you aren't obligated to make it worse by refusing to reduce its danger. There was an Austrian cardinal who said something similar.

I am a bit shocked, but it is acceptable so long as it remains so restrained. (Although I would say it should apply to heterosexual sodomy as well)
And we are forever in your debt for your approval of condoms!.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:54 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,418,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidrAkirE View Post
The Pope has just said the use of condoms is acceptable in some circumstances: for gay men to prevent the spread of HIV.

What do you think about this radical change of opinion by the Catholic Church?
Considering that worldwide, HIV is mostly spread by heterosexuals it's a rather ignorant opinion.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,422,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Who the funk cares what the pope says?
Oh, a few hundred million Catholics for starters. Not to mention a whole lot of secular leftists who pounce on every papal declaration that reaffirms traditional Catholic values, or for that matter, to mock declarations even when they signify a break from those traditions -- such as we've already seen in this thread. Not to mention you, since you took the time to open this thread, read it, and respond to it.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:50 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,611,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
And we are forever in your debt for your approval of condoms!.
Well yeah on some level if you're a sexually active homosexual you likely don't care what the Church says on condoms. For that matter the majority of sexually active heterosexuals don't care either. (Which is not a criticism by me. The majority of people also lie without good justification, judge others unfairly, etc. What majorities of "modern people" do does not necessarily make truth or morality)

Anyway the practical upshot of all this might be Catholic organizations in some nations being more tolerant of groups that distribute condoms to high-risk groups. (Mostly prostitutes and homosexuals it seems) There have been some groups that have not been so tolerant on that, or exaggerating the ineffectiveness of condoms, and that has become a bit embarrassing/difficult even for those of us who follow Church teaching.

Also whether I personally approve of what you do or not is irrelevant. I have no authority to declare anything and I'm hardly a moral role model. Going by your own understanding of things you're plausibly more virtuous than I, granting that I don't know you well enough to say that with any certainty. Still my beliefs have generally made sense to me and I prefer them to alternatives I know. Going by those what the Pope said is acceptable to me, but I do admit some concern. (For one this whole "behind the times." Of course Catholicism is not of our time, that's a big part of the point as far as I'm concerned. The main errors Catholics have sometimes made is being of their era and placing too much confidence in era-specific things ranging from Medieval Emperors to modern psychiatrists)

Old 11-21-2010, 03:58 AM

7,080 posts, read 12,382,903 times
Pope says: "Condoms aceptable for gay men"

I think this might have been a hidden message to all of the gay Catholic Bishops and Monsignors out there. Most are good people (I believe). However, there seems to be a lot of gay guys within the Catholic clergy. I don't think this is a bad thing, but it is hypocrisy.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:33 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,897,740 times
I might be wrong but didn't he only approve of condom use in the case of male prostitutes. I don't think he was referring to all gays.

The Catholic Church had to drag itself into the 21st century with regard to evolution so I suppose changing it's mind on condoms was inevitable.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:11 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,567,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidrAkirE View Post
The Pope has just said the use of condoms is acceptable in some circumstances: for gay men to prevent the spread of HIV.

What do you think about this radical change of opinion by the Catholic Church?
Anybody who hasn't caught onto the fact that the pope and cardinals are jacking off under those robes is aloof to circumstances IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality