Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 05:48 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,359,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
it's a free country, you can be as dumb as you want.
Agreed, and you ideally live with those choices.

Unfortunately, a lot of people proceed to blame society, or capitalism, or whatever group they want to loot. The people who sacrificed and made smart choices are demonized, and expected to bail them out.

...and the state ultimately wins at everyone's expense. They get to tax more, they get to spend more, they get more control. The problem is never fixed, and the answer is always more state intervention. Nice racket they have going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 10:37 AM

1,281 posts, read 1,094,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Wonder who she voted for? I could afford everything with no problem prior to January 2021. Now, staying on a food budget is next to impossible.
Its Florida, I am sure she voted for the Christian con artist that is barely surviving his 3rd marriage.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:24 AM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Another individual jumping on the "I can't survive on this salary" bandwagon on social media.

She has to starve herself just to survive, but has a $600/month car payment. Who knows what else she spends her money on. Poor life choices isn't a valid reason for 'starving' or struggling in America.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t...134100550.html
More proof that it's a spending problem.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:41 AM

59,216 posts, read 27,403,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
Its Florida, I am sure she voted for the Christian con artist that is barely surviving his 3rd marriage.
I think you have a very strong bias!

Old 05-01-2024, 08:09 AM

7,028 posts, read 2,726,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Unless someone states who s/he voted for, I don't think such assumptions are warranted (this applies to anyone assuming s/he knows who a complete stranger voted for). Unless she stated she voted for Biden, I don't think you can say there is "no doubt." She may have voted for someone else, or perhaps she didn't vote at all.
The rock band RUSH said it first in the song Freewill : "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice".

Old 05-01-2024, 12:30 PM

8,259 posts, read 3,510,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
The rock band RUSH said it first in the song Freewill : "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice".
It's very true. If you see someone being harmed, and you refuse to get involved, you are allowing the person to be harmed. You chose the side of the person who was hurting someone.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:31 PM

13,639 posts, read 4,954,460 times
$600 per month car payment? If she could do without the car for one year she’d save enough to buy a serviceable used car.

Old Yesterday, 02:58 AM

30,292 posts, read 23,777,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
600 car note is not much of a car, its kinda cheap car, and if you had it before the economy went south, its not like you can sell it for enough to just pay it off, you got to have a dependable car, and that not cheap
You are correct. Depending on her credit score, how much she has borrowed in the past, or not borrowed, how much she had to put down on the car, where she is in the country...all of that affects the monthly payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's not if you have an ego to feed. Plenty of cheaper reliable models.
Seriously, car dealers are charging ridiculous amounts these days. That $600 a month isn't going to be a KIA, but it's not going to be a luxury car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
You can buy a decent used car cash for about $5,000. I just did. I’m a six figure earner, but I like to spend my money elsewhere, as having flashy toys does nothing to improve my quality of life.
I've done the used car thing my entire life until 2020. I ended up spending more money fixing the used car than I would have had I got a new car. The only used car that ended up saving me a ton of money was my 2004 KIA Rio. The only reason it was available was because it had been repossessed, and I got it from the repo business for under blue book value. There had only been one owner, and I got it in 2006. It was not $5000 or under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Just configured a brand new, decently tricked out 2024 Honda Accord EX, and NerdWallet says my payment with only $3k down, for 60 months at 5% APR, the payment is $603.

With my current trade in and credit score, it would be more like $300 for that same car.

That is a car that is enjoyable and dependable to the tune of 10-15 years, and I'd say pretty freaking nice.

Or do you qualify/grade cars differently than I do?
You're going off of YOUR credit score and having a trade in. We don't know what hers is, and again, it does depend on where you live, in addition to all of that other stuff. So, no, $600 for a car payment does NOT mean she has some luxury car.

In the end, I don't understand why everyone is harping on the car payment. Did you all miss the part that she has $2500 LEFT OVER AFTER the car payment AND the rent?

Yes, she CAN afford that car. No, she is NOT struggling. No, she is in no danger of starving.

Twenty.

Five.

HUNDRED.

AFTER rent and car payment.

Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM

17,277 posts, read 15,467,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

I've done the used car thing my entire life until 2020. I ended up spending more money fixing the used car than I would have had I got a new car. The only used car that ended up saving me a ton of money was my 2004 KIA Rio. The only reason it was available was because it had been repossessed, and I got it from the repo business for under blue book value. There had only been one owner, and I got it in 2006. It was not $5000 or under.
Most recently, I bought a 2016 Nissan Altima with 140,000 miles for $5,000. It currently has over 200,000 miles. I have not had a single issue with it, and the only expenses have been typical maintenance.

I've had a mix of used and "new" cars for the past 20 years. Most used cars I've had were purchased for $5,000 or under, looked decent, and ran up to near 300,000 miles.

Old Today, 11:24 AM

4,409 posts, read 1,711,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's your money. I'd never shell out that for a freakin piece of iron with an engine. I learned that living at the beach is a waste on a nice car unless you have a locked garage both at home and your destination. The transients/tweekers are gonna break in or someone is gonna trash it with their beater car or a shopping cart. Not worth it.
I just bought the first new car in my life… anAWD Prius, with a payment of $550. No trade it, but a down payment over 10k. Still the biggest car payment in my life, but i can afford it (Not a work truck, but I do use it daily for work). Still kept my old car, a 17 year old Escape with 192k miles in it. Mostly use it for deep snow and to haul trash. No tweakers have broken into either car, although I DO keep them garaged at home. After driving the Prius for weeks at a time, whenever I have to use the Escape, it feels like I’m in the stoneage… even though I added a touchscreen radio to the Escape last year. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies