Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 08:33 PM

26,544 posts, read 15,116,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Another individual jumping on the "I can't survive on this salary" bandwagon on social media.

She has to starve herself just to survive, but has a $600/month car payment. Who knows what else she spends her money on. Poor life choices isn't a valid reason for 'starving' or struggling in America.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t...134100550.html
1, the economy is amazing!

2, we all have to starve ourselves in this economy!

Also:

1, promote extended covid lockdowns in a complete overreaction that destroys the economy.

2, complain the economy was wrecked and point fingers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 08:45 PM

9,134 posts, read 6,344,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Isn’t Florida a no income tax state? Why would the employer withhold taxes?
Federal income taxes.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:22 AM

36,586 posts, read 30,921,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I used to take the bus every day., The last word I would use when talking about taking the bus is the word "convenient".

But again, she's whining because she 'only has' $2500 after rent and car payments. That's about $90 a day.

She's just looking for attention. "Poor me. I can't survive on $90 a day. Makes me think of death."

I can't stand people like that.
Isn't that what 90% of these people on TikTok are doing? I mean its TikTok. People in real dire straits aren't posting on TikTok.

I know a couple in their 40's that are basically homeless, He lost his job, lost their apartment. They live in a tractor trailer, trailer with no electricity or water. They have an old car that barely runs when they can afford to put gas in it.
I've been giving the guy some work remodeling and doing some repairs on my house. I let them take showers and do laundry and fill up water coolers, charge their car battery and of course feed them when they are here.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:46 AM

8,783 posts, read 5,080,500 times
She will start a go-fund-me page....she will be fine.

Old 04-22-2024, 11:28 AM

17,277 posts, read 15,467,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
This. And given that she's a server, her hours might fluctuate quite a bit, to where there could be times that the bus lines shut down by the time she gets off work. This was the case for a friend of mine who had a rotating shift where she worked. Daytime to early evening hours, she could have taken the bus to and from, but the bus lines in her area stopped at 10:30 p.m., and if she was on a late shift, she'd have no way home.

I live six miles from my job, and I've been asked why I don't take the bus instead. The nearest bus stop is 1.5 miles from my house (a doable walk, it'd take me about 30 minutes and would be good exercise), but the bus itself doesn't take a straightforward route to where I work--it takes a long, roundabout way, and gets to where I work 75 minutes later, and then a ten-minute walk from the bus stop to my office. So that's almost two hours to go six miles....or, I could take my car, and be there in 15 minutes.
Understandable, if that's her case as well. However, judging by her rent costs, I'm going to assume she lives in the core areas of Tampa, which has some decent coverage.

And while it certainly is possible that using the bus wouldn't work with her schedule, I'm familiar enough with these types of people that I can only guess she would never consider that as an option, even if it was a straight point A to point B shot with good scheduling. "Ewww, the bus!"

Old 04-22-2024, 11:50 AM

30,472 posts, read 19,236,406 times
From the look I got, she probably needs a little more "starvation," it would be very healthy for her as would having a reasonable car note. I drove economical beaters until I could save up the cash to buy the cars I want.

Old 04-22-2024, 02:52 PM

4,409 posts, read 1,711,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I don't care if you can afford it a 600 dollar car payment is absurd. Maybe if it was a work truck that actually made you money but just hauling your fat butt a few miles to work?
What about $550?

Old 04-24-2024, 05:58 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
What about $550?
It's your money. I'd never shell out that for a freakin piece of iron with an engine. I learned that living at the beach is a waste on a nice car unless you have a locked garage both at home and your destination. The transients/tweekers are gonna break in or someone is gonna trash it with their beater car or a shopping cart. Not worth it.

Old 04-24-2024, 06:08 PM

10 posts, read 2,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Another individual jumping on the "I can't survive on this salary" bandwagon on social media.

She has to starve herself just to survive, but has a $600/month car payment. Who knows what else she spends her money on. Poor life choices isn't a valid reason for 'starving' or struggling in America.

[url]https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tampa-woman-says-she-starve-134100550.html[/url]
I know a lot of people out there that are genuinely struggling but she just sounds like an idiot trying to keep up with the Joneses. Why exactly does she need a $600/m car payment? Yeah, she doesn't.

I was making $85k/y before my company mandated the covid vax and terminated me. I'm making half that now. It took me a little time to get adjusted to the new life style but I did it. Used to love going out to eat a couple times a week and grabbing a couple beers. Now I go out to eat maybe once a month and bring my own breakfast and lunch to work. Be surprised how far you can stretch your money when you actually try.

Old 04-24-2024, 07:38 PM

1,878 posts, read 852,970 times
600 car note is not much of a car, its kinda cheap car, and if you had it before the economy went south, its not like you can sell it for enough to just pay it off, you got to have a dependable car, and that not cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies