Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:42 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times

Advertisements

Swampy101: Can you add my to your lists of beneficiaries for at least one of them white and big Canon lenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 10:46 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Oh my aching back!....And empty wallet!...I'm guessing you are both serious huh?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:04 PM

7,913 posts, read 933,370 times
I have a 6 megapixel polaroid camera Model i633

Old 05-02-2008, 08:13 PM

180 posts, read 1,187,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
With all due respect, Swampy101, I would hardly call that bitten by a bug. Swallowed by a monster is more like it. Holy crap. Between you, Redhawk (website) and Azkadellia I am sure I am way way over my head trying to compete with you guys in a photo contest. Your picture of your equipment represents more money than my first home cost me. Maybe even the second one. Perhaps both added together. Wow, very impressive. Oh, and how did you pull off that perfectly white background? Has that picture been 'cooked'? I see shadow from lighting in front/right (on the screens), but nothing any where else. Do tell.
Yeah, ok, monster it is.

I'll have to thank you for the white background comment, but it's not white and I even messed up with Photoshop near the top left corner and left some of the yellow.

A friend of mine wanted to see what I take with me for equipment when my wife and I go out, so I laid it all out on a table in my old house's garage which was an off white color. I have 3 studio strobes and used one on the floor behind the packs firing up on the garage door and one on either side of the camera off to the side to take this pic. I should re-do the shot with the additional equipment now that I have a proper background and have practiced shooting with the strobes.

But thanks for the compliments on the background anyway.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Swampy101: Can you add my to your lists of beneficiaries for at least one of them white and big Canon lenses?
Tell you what RayinAK, when the wife and I finally make it back up to AK again (and not on a dumb cruise ship with 70 family members), I'll bring a lot of it up and you can take us on a photo safari and use whatever you want.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh my aching back!....And empty wallet!...I'm guessing you are both serious huh?
My wife just got tired of sitting in the car while I was trying to be serious and made me get her some stuff. I'm now trying to be totally serious and quit my day job, moved out of state and am now trying to sell my images for a living as well as teaching and doing continental US "safari's". I hope it works out anyway! My gallery opens officially June 28th in Denver and I have news people covering it, live animals and all kinds of stuff going on that day.

If it doesn't pan out, I might have to start selling a bunch of it to make the house payments!!!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:27 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy101 View Post
My wife just got tired of sitting in the car while I was trying to be serious and made me get her some stuff. I'm now trying to be totally serious and quit my day job, moved out of state and am now trying to sell my images for a living as well as teaching and doing continental US "safari's". I hope it works out anyway! My gallery opens officially June 28th in Denver and I have news people covering it, live animals and all kinds of stuff going on that day.

If it doesn't pan out, I might have to start selling a bunch of it to make the house payments!!!
From the looks of that Glock, US Safari's are dangerous.
Seriously though, good luck with the opening!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
From the looks of that Glock, US Safari's are dangerous.
Seriously though, good luck with the opening!
Thanks Mookster.

Depends on where you go really. We go way out in the backwoods sometimes. You never know what you might run into out there or what might happen. If we're 50 miles out from anything and we break down and run out of food, might use the glock to shoot something to eat for instance. I'm not so worried about criminal activity going on where we're at. Just self preservation.

We've been deep into mountain lion territory and bear country, but never ran into anything. Peace of mind in case we did run into a particularly bad situation like that though.

A story and a pic. My wife and I were walking around the desert in Lancaster shooting wildflowers. I walk up to a bush with some great looking flowers that were low enough for me to get a decent angle on. I walk right up to it, heavy purposeful foot steps and all. Nothing until I get right on top of a Mojave Green Rattlesnake. I'm 3 foot away from this thing. I carry a few rounds of snake shot at the top of my magazine (and I have one in the chamber when I'm actually hiking as well). I pulled my pistol slowly and aimed, then very slowly backed up. I got a safe distance away and took this pic:

After that pic, I walked away, everyone in fine shape. An hour later, we hear sirens blaring way out there. Some parents were unaware of the dangers lurking around in the fields and thier little daughter got bit by one of these. I never kept up with it to see if she survived or not, but she probably did since the area was expecting a large amount of people for the flowers and they know the snakes were out in force, so they probably carried anti-venom in the ambulances.

Like I said, you just never know. Same with the Sat phone. When you're 15 miles into some rocky nasty road by Marble Canyon just outside the Grand Canyon, you got no cell phone and temps hitting 110-120 degrees in the summer. (I have a picture of my Jeep's dash thermometer reading 128 from somewhere out there one time.) You break down and don't have enough whatever or you get injured.

Just some of the things you should be thinking about when out taking photos. Granted, most people here probably aren't going out there like we do though.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:19 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy101 View Post
Yeah, ok, monster it is.

I'll have to thank you for the white background comment, but it's not white and I even messed up with Photoshop near the top left corner and left some of the yellow....
But thanks for the compliments on the background anyway.
Well thanks for the explanation. I have been messing around with some black velvet as a background in portraits to get that 'floating in space' look, but have yet to find the perfect placement of lighting. Moving, diffusing, back lighting... I cannot seem to get the velvet to completely disappear. And I do not do photoshop. Perhaps I should, but now it has become a challenge and I will not quit until I nail it.
Thanx for the input, it is appriciated.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:39 AM

35 posts, read 152,881 times
my first digital camera is a rebel xti and I love it.

I'm a completely self taught photograher.

Awesome camera, and the basic lens that is usually comes with is really great for macrophotography if you dont feel like spending tons of money for a specialty lens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography