Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times

Advertisements

In Smartphone Era, Point-and-Shoots Stay Home - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/In-Smartphone-Era-nytimes-1102949571.html?x=0 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 10:46 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
In Smartphone Era, Point-and-Shoots Stay Home - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/In-Smartphone-Era-nytimes-1102949571.html?x=0 - broken link)
I really wish, people would stop calling those doohickys a *phone*.

It is another doohicky that also happens to be able to make a simple phone call.

I have a laptop at home that can make phone calls, besides umpteen other things it can do.
Do I now call that big honker also a whatever*phone* ???

Old 12-08-2010, 11:03 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I really wish, people would stop calling those doohickys a *phone*.

It is another doohicky that also happens to be able to make a simple phone call.
So true! Or said another way, the new Point and Shoots that make phone calls are making cell phones obsolete.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:12 PM

335 posts, read 1,311,426 times
However good they try to make them they will never really match a dedicated camera. You are giving up picture quality for convenience. For a certain segment the convenience is more important.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:31 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
However good they try to make them they will never really match a dedicated camera. You are giving up picture quality for convenience. For a certain segment the convenience is more important.
Never say never.

"In fact, the iPhone 4 actually bested two full-fledged point-and-shoot cameras when it came to two testing categories: We included sample images from the Samsung HZ35W and Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX1 in our image-evaluation pool, and the iPhone 4 outscored both of them in terms of exposure quality and color accuracy."

Source: Smartphone Camera Battle: iPhone 4 vs. the Android Army - PCWorld

Old 12-08-2010, 01:02 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Think about it, who is most likely to use a point and shoot? I see kids and teenagers with them all the time. When I asked my 12 year old nephew if he wants one for Christmas, he said no, he has an iPhone that takes photos and he can upload them right to his FB account without having to hook up a cable to a computer. Kids and teenagers want instant gratification, I can totally see why they'd be against a point and shoot.

I have an iPhone 4 and while I'm not a huge fan of using cell cams, it does the job much better than any other phone I've had. Here is a photographer doing an entire shoot using just an iPhone...he basically wanted to prove it's the photographer, not the camera, that makes great pictures. And, he used the 3gs model, whose camera sucks big time in comparison to the 4.

http://fstoppers.com/iphone/

Old 12-08-2010, 02:59 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
I guess it depends what you mean by dedicated. P&S? DSLR? I think smartphones are capable of replacing P&S. My friend has a droid incredible and takes some good quality pictures with it. I'd love to have a phone with a good camera. When I go skiing I like to have something compact to capture the views. Even as compact as P&S are these days, a camera phone would be perfect.

I'm planning on going with a droid when my contract is up next year and the camera phone will have an impact on which phone I get.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:00 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
What really is going on is that people who use a *point and shoot*,
usually have a camera that does so much more than just *point and shoot*.

I am one of those people, who uses maybe just three functions,
of the ALL the functions, my camera can do ...
... the user manual is over 40 pages !!!!

What really irks me, is that my *still camera* actually takes better video,
then my video camera does ...

So in the end, I have
1 - a very *dumb* phone.
---(I had the hardest time to convince the phone guy that I just wanted a *dumb phone* for free !!! dang it !!!)

2 - a nice very small and flat camera, that takes incredible pictures,
--- AND takes good videos also !!!

I bought a 16 Gb card ($24.00 !!!), and believe I do not have to download for at least two years ....
Apparently the card can hold 4000 plus pics or 2 hours+ of video ...
Geesj ... the battery runs down more often then anything else ...

So is the point and shoot dead ??
Maybe, but not for a long while ...

Would the *Do it all doohicky* replace a decent professional Camera ??
Never !!! ... Uhmmm ... well maybe never ....

Hmmm ...
Maybe I just glue my phone to that cam ????

Old 12-08-2010, 03:54 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Tangentially related: is film dead?

Is everyone pretty much going digital anymore?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:08 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Tangentially related: is film dead? God, I hope not!

Is everyone pretty much going digital anymore? Again digital will never be able to match the fine detail of film
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography