Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 06:33 PM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Too bad how the Oklahoma forum has gotten so slow and not current that a thread over 10 years old got dug up.
Considering what some folks post. Maybe when the "leaving, have no clue, cheap, cheap, safe, good schools, acreage, people will embrace us" crowd will take their farming ideas elsewhere and locals will get of their high chairs or high horses this may work.
The only recommendation I got here cost me several hundred for a shoddy job. Anyone know a real upholsterer in the larger OKC area? I do not want to have an intimate relationship but bars tools.
Where are your contributions besides Stillwater sells booze and dope and some music?
SASS Landrun, SW Regional championships will be at OKC Gun Club. 450 shooters alone.
Between Mustang and Edmond things still look like landmines hit. Cleanup for the last two storms is not done yet.
COVID vexing seems to work unless you want to walk to your provider and live 50 miles out.
We lost almost all conifers but the tomatoes are blooming. Something to look forward to an a food desert. New Crest in Yukon - red bell pepper 2.20 each. Calorie wise I can fed my crowd dinner with two/threes beers a lot cheaper instead of almost anything.
Open carry is doing well. Seniors with walkers are carrying at WallyWorld on McArthur. And honestly - they probably know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 01:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Maybe a good upholsterer is hard to find. My mother didn't like the job one did for her from years ago.

That is unfortunate how much of the OKC metro still can't pick up the limbs from the freak ice storm. If the situation is like Stillwater, it was judged too costly to hire a private firm to do it, and so city crews would do it. Stillwater finally got it done about a month ago. That was crazy how long some people in the metro had to do without electricity for as long as two weeks. The ice storm wasn't as heavy in Stillwater, so the electricity never went out at my house but did in at least half of Stillwater for a while. The longest I've ever gone without electricity lasted all night and well into the afternoon from two different occasions from a tornado tearing through town. Fortunately, where I lived only had light damage.

Don't see the point of open carry in stores and restaurants. An insane person wanting to shoot may be sane and smart enough to know that the open carry person has to be the first to go. Also open carry makes me uncomfortable from wondering if he or she knows something bad could happen I don't, because I sure didn't bring any weapon to defend myself.

But what about Ada? I haven't been there in years.

Old 04-04-2021, 01:41 PM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times
OKC? Try the rest of the area from Edmond, Yukon , ... you name it.

Sorry open carry is the law in OK.

Ada is not on my radar.

Old 04-04-2021, 03:50 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
OKC? Try the rest of the area from Edmond, Yukon , ... you name it.

Sorry open carry is the law in OK.

Ada is not on my radar.
The OKC metro doesn't mean Oklahoma City only.

But I already knew open carry is within the law in OK. Once again, I don't see how doing that is appropriate in public settings, such as in stores and restaurants, unless it's a hired security officer. But I guess some people want to show off and prove to the world how true it is how they have the right to do that under the 2nd Amendment and state law.

At least the town of Ada is on the radar of this thread.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
The OKC metro doesn't mean Oklahoma City only.

But I already knew open carry is within the law in OK. Once again, I don't see how doing that is appropriate in public settings, such as in stores and restaurants, unless it's a hired security officer. But I guess some people want to show off and prove to the world how true it is how they have the right to do that under the 2nd Amendment and state law.

At least the town of Ada is on the radar of this thread.
I like to go up to those open carry people and say "This town ain't big enough for the both of us..."

And of course I like to do that in Ada.

Old 04-06-2021, 04:14 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times
Quote:
Too bad how the Oklahoma forum has gotten so slow and not current that a thread over 10 years old got dug up.

This.

We need GoodPasture and his wife back---she was from Europe I think but has grown to love Okies.

I miss RedBird. He was my funny Friend and always brightened everyone's day with his charity and quick wit.

There was also Okie1962 who we prayed for who was so nice. I believe he passed away. He was from Eufaula I think.

Ya'll remember Synopsis? LadyRobyn? Good times.

I even miss sparring with some of the Tulsa guys like Swakester who are convinced that Tulsa is more midwest in the likeness of Chicago or St. Louis rather than Dallas or Nashville.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:19 PM

27 posts, read 18,129 times
Default An interesting read-sort of.

Have spent a few minutes grazing the thread end to end. My purpose in doing so was to get a feel of what is going on within the state for multiple reason, all self serving in nature.
Originally from the central part of OK and most of misspent youth was squandered in deeds of less than upstanding endeavors in multiple counties-including Ponotoc (Ada) a time or two.
Am familiar with the trials of living in the heart of tornado alley as experienced one when living in Shawnee during 1st marriage. (It does tend to tighten one puckering string to see an empty railway box car flop on its side from just across the street) And recall going to the "cellar" after being wakened from sleep as a wee lad when the "fire whistle blew."
Presently, I do have a legal presence in the state of Oklahoma, as well in Texas, with "legal responsibilities and obligations" in Kansas which I will not get into here. And am making use of City-Data database to determine possible areas within the state (OK) to consider for business expansion.
As having lived in multiple western states, have developed/adapted into somewhat of a laissez-faire attitude in interaction with others as well as authorities.

Personally I would not encourage non-Oklahoma native born to move to Oklahoma as have observed a trend of those migrating from one culture base to another. Most do not want "to assimilate" to the new social group, but to have it "both ways." They want the "best of (insert departed state-good roads, cultural norms, etc) complain about the bad things in the migrated to state-bad roads, climate disparity, all while enjoying the low tax rate and lowered cost-of-living-housing. I am using the quail state as example as it was the initial post in this thread. (Nothing personal) Some of my kin moved from Oklahoma to the Golden State to find their way in life, and most did return after retirement. But they were returning home to while away their golden years(?)
Do recall fellow that some later called one of the founders of the "Bakersfield Sound" Buck Owns stopping in to see a musician friend that I worked with in in SW Kansas in 1962 (think.) Both of them dead now. My, how time flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma