Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Is there a problem?
FYI, many Californians moving to Oklahoma are originally from OK, or their Relatives are.
Thousands of Oklahomans moved to Ca,(with young children) during the Dust Bowl. Many(not all) are just moving back home.
What I got was the assumption that I had family here, but no, third generation native Californian. Did you know that California natives are the largest group moving OUT of the state as it gets taken over by newbies. What we remember isn't the California which is now.

And I was instrumental in adding two more to Oklahoma, family but from Ca origionally (also natives). Most of the people I know who have lived there for a long long time are planning to move. But my relatives love it here. Do I want the ones who ruined my home state to come here. No. We don't need sprawl and endless suburbs and strip malls. Give me trees and green and two lane highways. Its funnly how I find that I'v adjusted to the 'pace' here when I shurg and say when someone doesn't show that It'll get done.

Nohing wrong with refugees if they are the ones who like the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roni55 View Post
Any advice for a single Mom moving for a frest start in Ada? I have family living in area.
Well, if you are moving from Bakersfield to Ada you should be just fine, especially with family there. I don't think you are going to find the people much different than in Bakersfield except they might be more family oriented. You will find the cost of living much lower..

Nita

Old 11-03-2011, 12:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergy1971 View Post
More californians moving here? Ugh!
If they are moving for the right reasons it is fine.

Nita

Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,437,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
What I got was the assumption that I had family here, but no, third generation native Californian. Did you know that California natives are the largest group moving OUT of the state as it gets taken over by newbies. What we remember isn't the California which is now.

And I was instrumental in adding two more to Oklahoma, family but from Ca origionally (also natives). Most of the people I know who have lived there for a long long time are planning to move. But my relatives love it here. Do I want the ones who ruined my home state to come here. No. We don't need sprawl and endless suburbs and strip malls. Give me trees and green and two lane highways. Its funnly how I find that I'v adjusted to the 'pace' here when I shurg and say when someone doesn't show that It'll get done.

Nohing wrong with refugees if they are the ones who like the place.
The ones ruining Califoria are the illegals and thier supporters. They can have it, as long as they leave us alone
When I moved to OK, there was a Rush of thousands of others moving from Ca,to Ok, Some are here in Duncan with me and 9 out of 10 of them are natives of OK. 45-50% of the people I know here were born and raised in Duncan.
One very good friend of mine, whose Husband owns a well known insurance Co, is a born and raised native of Duncan, Ok. And all though $ is no problem to her, she's never stepped foot out of the state of Oklahoma.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If they are moving for the right reasons it is fine.

Nita
The good thing is...
If they're NOT moving to OK for the right reasons, they won't stick around long.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well, if you are moving from Bakersfield to Ada you should be just fine, especially with family there. I don't think you are going to find the people much different than in Bakersfield except they might be more family oriented. You will find the cost of living much lower..

Nita
And life is much slower.
The Air is much more fresh and clean,
and the skies are much more blue.
It's nothing like the fast lanes of Ca......Thank the Lord.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 AM

374 posts, read 807,496 times
Does anyone ever worry that the people who ruined CA will just move here(liberals)? It's all great and good until we start having the same problems. It seems like no one ever thinks about that aspect. One thing I have noticed about people from CA coming here is they call this the midwest. I was raised in eastern OK. We are a southern people. If they respect the culture and try to assimilate, I am ok with it. It's the ones that want to "enlighten" us with the policies that destroyed the place they are fleeing that I have a problem with.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,339,311 times
^^^

Ah, the "liberal menace."

I haven't spent a great deal of time in Ada, but I have always liked it there when I've kicked around the town. My best friend's wife's family is from there so I've been for visits and I've spent some time on the campus there (East Central U.)

Ada always seemed like a nice place in a relatively pretty setting for So. Central Oklahoma. I could certainly live there in the right situation.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:34 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
Does anyone ever worry that the people who ruined CA will just move here(liberals)? It's all great and good until we start having the same problems. It seems like no one ever thinks about that aspect. One thing I have noticed about people from CA coming here is they call this the midwest. I was raised in eastern OK. We are a southern people. If they respect the culture and try to assimilate, I am ok with it. It's the ones that want to "enlighten" us with the policies that destroyed the place they are fleeing that I have a problem with.
Liberals can't possibly do a worse job than conservatives have done to make Oklahoma look backward to the rest of the nation. That you can still can't buy wine in a grocery story is ridiculous.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 AM

17,815 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
Although this ridiculous assertion doesn't really deserve a response I'll address it.

One would think that it would take a WHOLE lot of liberals moving from California to even notice them. For the most part I think those types wouldn't be all that interested in coming to Oklahoma. They tend to go to Oregon and places like that where it is more liberal.

Secondly, many of the people who ARE coming to Oklahoma from California are trying to ESCAPE the policies in California and come here full well knowing that Oklahoma is extremely conservative.

Finally, many of the people who come to Oklahoma from California have family roots in Oklahoma from the dust bowl days and the shipyard migration during WWII. These would mostly be the retirement that are still connected to Oklahoma.

So I would suggest to you that you worry about something more practical than "liberal Californians ruining Oklahoma." Maybe worry about getting hit by an asteroid or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma