Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times

Advertisements

I've lived in very blue counties in socal and two very red ones. I call my politics eclectic. I like freedom, and that means freedom to do as one believes, even if you don't agree. And freedom to do as other do not believe as well. So some of it would be red and some blue and some purple.

What really boggled me in California about the politics is the herculean struggles each year to get a budget, nobody willing to budge a quarter of an inch. Voting for a state budget six monts past the last one year after year is just plain dysfuncitional.

I don't like the politics here in some ways, not at all. But while California politics are somwhat wacko so are some of them here. On the other hand OK had the guts to take on the funeral busting babtists.

Politics isn't a reason to come or not to come to a place. There are not millions of people living around me. A great plus. The air isn't grey with smog from ALL those cars. A greater plus. Nobody is in a rush to speed up the nature of time. A good one too. I like the people here a lot even if not always sharing religion or politics but those things are personal choices. Who you are inside is what matters. Where everything is soooo busy who has time to find out what that is?

My son currently lives in Oregon. He tells me how it rains constantly. Why would ANYONE want to live where water is always falling on your head and soaking your shoes?

As for wine and grocery stores that is stupid. It's not going to drive me to drink to have some wines to add to my roast at the grocery store. They sell beer and its detestable. Lots of people regularily get hammered on it. I want Trader Joes here. Never bought their wine, but they have lots of other good stuff. That's said to be the hangup on getting this fine store in this fine state.

There is no such thing as a perfect place and no such thing as a static place either. Change will happen if you want it or don't.

I think this is a good place to live, and that is all I ask of it. (no former connection either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 06:02 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,339,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
No, it's been tainted by the tainted media you listen to.
How presumptuous of you. Or do you have some way of monitoring my reading, listening and viewing habits?

Here's a little fact: one doesn't need to access media much at all (and I don't, actually) to realize that the Republican Party utterly jettisoned conservative principles decades back. There are no conservatives in the GOP (or really in American politics at all) anymore.

This has nothing to do with my or anyone else's alleged definition of conservativism being tainted. It has to do with the fact that the GOP has moved from a once-great party with admirable, conservative ideals into a RWNJ-land of sheer llunacy and irrelevance.

Nearly everything the party voices tout is completely antithetical to actual conservativism.

Quote:
Of course not. Do you think the Democrats have the same ideologies and politics from the Klan days?
No. And I'm not a Democrat either, but at least the Dems aren't, for the most part, anti-reality, anti-intellectual raving ignoramuses which is what the Republican Party base and movers-and-shakers have become.

It really is a pity the GOP has gone from Eisenhower and Goldwater to freaking Bush II and Romney. Truly a pity. I hope they shape up and kick the religious right wackos and ultra-right ravers to the curb and get serious again.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM

374 posts, read 807,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
How presumptuous of you. Or do you have some way of monitoring my reading, listening and viewing habits?

Here's a little fact: one doesn't need to access media much at all (and I don't, actually) to realize that the Republican Party utterly jettisoned conservative principles decades back. There are no conservatives in the GOP (or really in American politics at all) anymore.

This has nothing to do with my or anyone else's alleged definition of conservativism being tainted. It has to do with the fact that the GOP has moved from a once-great party with admirable, conservative ideals into a RWNJ-land of sheer llunacy and irrelevance.

Nearly everything the party voices tout is completely antithetical to actual conservativism.

No. And I'm not a Democrat either, but at least the Dems aren't, for the most part, anti-reality, anti-intellectual raving ignoramuses which is what the Republican Party base and movers-and-shakers have become.

It really is a pity the GOP has gone from Eisenhower and Goldwater to freaking Bush II and Romney. Truly a pity. I hope they shape up and kick the religious right wackos and ultra-right ravers to the curb and get serious again.
So what I have learned from this forum is that is is dominated by the small minded minority of Oklahoma Hating liberals....most likely based out of Tulsa. It's a shame what has happened to many on the left in Oklahoma. I'll say it one more time. If you don't like it, then leave. You have moved away, yet keep coming back. Oklahoma is not going to change for you and you knew all along this is a Red state. I know you are riding high after the Obama reelection, but the battle will be at the state level. You better hang on, because it's going to get rougher for you here at home.

Quote:
This is a joke right? You sound angry and bitter towards your home.

Last edited by johnspecial; 01-28-2013 at 07:13 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I've lived in very blue counties in socal and two very red ones. I call my politics eclectic. I like freedom, and that means freedom to do as one believes, even if you don't agree. And freedom to do as other do not believe as well. So some of it would be red and some blue and some purple.

What really boggled me in California about the politics is the herculean struggles each year to get a budget, nobody willing to budge a quarter of an inch. Voting for a state budget six monts past the last one year after year is just plain dysfuncitional.

I don't like the politics here in some ways, not at all. But while California politics are somwhat wacko so are some of them here. On the other hand OK had the guts to take on the funeral busting babtists.

Politics isn't a reason to come or not to come to a place. There are not millions of people living around me. A great plus. The air isn't grey with smog from ALL those cars. A greater plus. Nobody is in a rush to speed up the nature of time. A good one too. I like the people here a lot even if not always sharing religion or politics but those things are personal choices. Who you are inside is what matters. Where everything is soooo busy who has time to find out what that is?

My son currently lives in Oregon. He tells me how it rains constantly. Why would ANYONE want to live where water is always falling on your head and soaking your shoes?

As for wine and grocery stores that is stupid. It's not going to drive me to drink to have some wines to add to my roast at the grocery store. They sell beer and its detestable. Lots of people regularily get hammered on it. I want Trader Joes here. Never bought their wine, but they have lots of other good stuff. That's said to be the hangup on getting this fine store in this fine state.

There is no such thing as a perfect place and no such thing as a static place either. Change will happen if you want it or don't.

I think this is a good place to live, and that is all I ask of it. (no former connection either).
Quote:
I call my politics eclectic.
In other words, you vote straight Democrat, embrace progressive ideals and will continue to do so here. Why not just say it?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:37 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,339,311 times
Quote:
So what I have learned from this forum is that is is dominated by the small minded minority of Oklahoma Hating liberals...
Again, this is so presumptuous of you. The only thing I "hate" about Oklahoma is the Summer heat and humidity.

It's also funny that you call me a liberal since you don't know anything about me.

But because I legitimately criticize the Republican party for becoming too extreme and have issues with religious intolerance and religion dictating policy (which, of course, is as UN-conservative a stance as you can have) makes me a liberal hater.

It's the very fact that I believe in a good many conservative ideals that I am saddened and disappointed at the GOP. And I'm not the only one. The party is splitting between conservatives and the loonybin wackadoos that have taken control of it.

Quote:
I'll say it one more time. If you don't like it, then leave. You have moved away, yet keep coming back. Oklahoma is not going to change for you and you knew all along this is a Red state.
What a small-minded, petty thing to say. I didn't like the uber-liberal politics in Portland, Oregon either, but that's not what drove me from the state. There are plenty of more moderate, open-minded, tolerant people in the state of Oklahoma. I don't believe the stereotype (which you seem intent on promoting) that everyone in Oklahoma is a knuckle-dragging, redneck SuperBaptist. I know this isn't the case because I've spent so many years of my life here and have so many friends from here.

So I'm not in tune with the political and religious landscape here, therefore I should what...move to Russia?

Quote:
I know you are riding high after the Obama reelection...
More presumptuous nonsense. I strongly dislike Obama and his administration for all kinds of reasons. I don't vote for dems or Repubs for ANY national office. Ever.

Quote:
Not a joke at all. A completely valid and accurate assessment of the ridiculous, foaming-at-the-mouth, tin foil hat-wearing mess that the Republican Party has become.

And, no, not angry or bitter. Just saddened and disappointed by this.

Also, anywhere I'm at: that's my home.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Again, this is so presumptuous of you. The only thing I "hate" about Oklahoma is the Summer heat and humidity.

It's also funny that you call me a liberal since you don't know anything about me.

But because I legitimately criticize the Republican party for becoming too extreme and have issues with religious intolerance and religion dictating policy (which, of course, is as UN-conservative a stance as you can have) makes me a liberal hater.

It's the very fact that I believe in a good many conservative ideals that I am saddened and disappointed at the GOP. And I'm not the only one. The party is splitting between conservatives and the loonybin wackadoos that have taken control of it.

What a small-minded, petty thing to say. I didn't like the uber-liberal politics in Portland, Oregon either, but that's not what drove me from the state. There are plenty of more moderate, open-minded, tolerant people in the state of Oklahoma. I don't believe the stereotype (which you seem intent on promoting) that everyone in Oklahoma is a knuckle-dragging, redneck SuperBaptist. I know this isn't the case because I've spent so many years of my life here and have so many friends from here.

So I'm not in tune with the political and religious landscape here, therefore I should what...move to Russia?

More presumptuous nonsense. I strongly dislike Obama and his administration for all kinds of reasons. I don't vote for dems or Repubs for ANY national office. Ever.

Not a joke at all. A completely valid and accurate assessment of the ridiculous, foaming-at-the-mouth, tin foil hat-wearing mess that the Republican Party has become.

And, no, not angry or bitter. Just saddened and disappointed by this.

Also, anywhere I'm at: that's my home.
Well, since you have moved back here several times, it would be safe to assume you are more disappointed with the places you have left. So if you don't like it there, and you don't like it here, is there another place you wouldn't find disappointing?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,261,491 times
Before moving to Oklahoma, I considered myself conservative. I usually vote Republican though I have voted Democrat before. Since moving here however, I have figured out where I really stand politically and have learned that one party dominance isn't a good thing. To those worried that more transplants will mean more liberals, Oklahoma Republicans could use some more solid opposition. That doesn't mean this state is in any danger of going blue any time soon, but a strong minority party is a necessity because one-party rule never ends well.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,345,131 times
[quote=johnspecial;27987904]So what I have learned from this forum is that is is dominated by the small minded minority of Oklahoma Hating liberals....most likely based out of Tulsa.

Wow! talk about hateful!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:45 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
In other words, you vote straight Democrat, embrace progressive ideals and will continue to do so here. Why not just say it?
The person sounds like me in wanting more freedom. If wanting more freedom means embracing progressive ideals, then count me in. Some of us don't want the annoyance of a nanny state, whether it comes from a conservative or liberal perspective.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
So what I have learned from this forum is that is is dominated by the small minded minority of Oklahoma Hating liberals....most likely based out of Tulsa. It's a shame what has happened to many on the left in Oklahoma. I'll say it one more time. If you don't like it, then leave. You have moved away, yet keep coming back. Oklahoma is not going to change for you and you knew all along this is a Red state. I know you are riding high after the Obama reelection, but the battle will be at the state level. You better hang on, because it's going to get rougher for you here at home.

Hey, Oklahoma has changed a lot since the year 2000, whether you like it, or not. For starters, especially for a change in attitude, no district attorney from Tulsa or anywhere else has tried to get Penthouse magazine banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma