Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 08:10 AM

32 posts, read 38,359 times

Advertisements

I wanted to know because I'm looking to looking to move to either Oklahoma or Northeast Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 05:41 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBravo View Post
I wanted to know because I'm looking to looking to move to either Oklahoma or Northeast Texas.
Not really. Oklahoma has always gotten some Californians who have family roots in Oklahoma...

But they aren't the type Californians I think you are talking about here.

And then there is the thread about Asian California pot growers moving to rural Oklahoma lately.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:30 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Not really. Oklahoma has always gotten some Californians who have family roots in Oklahoma...

But they aren't the type Californians I think you are talking about here.

And then there is the thread about Asian California pot growers moving to rural Oklahoma lately.
Must be a big root system out there looking at the influx over the last two years or so.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:07 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Must be a big root system out there looking at the influx over the last two years or so.
https://stacker.com/stories/8660/sta...eople-oklahoma

According to this site... in 2019....7500 people moved from California to Oklahoma. California was #4 behind Arkansas, Colorado and Texas as far as states that sent people to Oklahoma.

That is more than I would have figured.... but dwarfed by the number of Texans moving to Oklahoma.... 26K. And it continues a trend in which more Texans move to Oklahoma than vice versa.

According to the same site 83000 Californians moved to Texas. Texas and California were both the #1 states for sending residents to each other. I thought that was kind of funny. No wonder they can't stand each other.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:23 AM

57 posts, read 75,656 times
If you are bringing many of the Californian politics with you then neighbors aren't going to be as welcoming. My sister is part of a bunch of groups online for people looking to leave California and a common thing she says is people say Californian's are not as accepted, and even their kids are teased for being from California. I never really witnessed this when I lived in Oklahoma, I knew people from California when I lived there (I'm not from California personally).

I think something to really consider is that Oklahoma and Texas are really conservative compared to California. And Oklahoma doesn't really have much to brag about in education. I was very disappointed in the public education my son received in Tulsa. But there are some really good schools scattered around as well. But on a whole the educational system was broken.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjean View Post
If you are bringing many of the Californian politics with you then neighbors aren't going to be as welcoming. My sister is part of a bunch of groups online for people looking to leave California and a common thing she says is people say Californian's are not as accepted, and even their kids are teased for being from California. I never really witnessed this when I lived in Oklahoma, I knew people from California when I lived there (I'm not from California personally).

I think something to really consider is that Oklahoma and Texas are really conservative compared to California. And Oklahoma doesn't really have much to brag about in education. I was very disappointed in the public education my son received in Tulsa. But there are some really good schools scattered around as well. But on a whole the educational system was broken.
Conservative
Cali weather alone is not a draw for me. We can move with "the works" but who wants to deal with "the rest of the story". In OK I can leave the car unlocked, ask a neighbor to look in on the furries and it is not as cheap as everyone makes it out to be.

Education
The System. This is one of those Americanisms I never caught on to. Parents rely on The System. Well, that does not work anywhere we lived and that was three continents so far.

Californians
In my neighborhood they are starting to multiply like the proverbial rabbits trying to educate everyone on their shortcomings and what is not to their liking in Oklahoma.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:59 PM

32 posts, read 38,359 times
Quote:
Californians
In my neighborhood they are starting to multiply like the proverbial rabbits trying to educate everyone on their shortcomings and what is not to their liking in Oklahoma.
Is in your neighborhood in Tulsa or OKC? I must know.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:19 PM

1,663 posts, read 875,254 times
Quote:
Conservative
Cali weather alone is not a draw for me. We can move with "the works" but who wants to deal with "the rest of the story". In OK I can leave the car unlocked, ask a neighbor to look in on the furries and it is not as cheap as everyone makes it out to be.

Education
The System. This is one of those Americanisms I never caught on to. Parents rely on The System. Well, that does not work anywhere we lived and that was three continents so far.

Californians
Welcome to the club. We in the state of Washington got our first big influx of "Californication" almost 40 years ago. And they did the same things here, even back in the mid 1980s. I have met a few Californians who have moved here who are exceptional people, but (at least in my experience) they are very much the exception to the rule.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:18 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
Welcome to the club. We in the state of Washington got our first big influx of "Californication" almost 40 years ago. And they did the same things here, even back in the mid 1980s. I have met a few Californians who have moved here who are exceptional people, but (at least in my experience) they are very much the exception to the rule.

I remember back in the early 1980's I made my first trek to Oregon from California. Stopped to get gas. Back then if you paid by credit card they would come out and write down your plate. The gas station attendant said I was a foreigner.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
https://stacker.com/stories/8660/sta...eople-oklahoma

According to this site... in 2019....7500 people moved from California to Oklahoma. California was #4 behind Arkansas, Colorado and Texas as far as states that sent people to Oklahoma.

That is more than I would have figured.... but dwarfed by the number of Texans moving to Oklahoma.... 26K. And it continues a trend in which more Texans move to Oklahoma than vice versa.

According to the same site 83000 Californians moved to Texas. Texas and California were both the #1 states for sending residents to each other. I thought that was kind of funny. No wonder they can't stand each other.
Next source - Wikki?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma