Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 12:37 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Conservative
Cali weather alone is not a draw for me. We can move with "the works" but who wants to deal with "the rest of the story". In OK I can leave the car unlocked, ask a neighbor to look in on the furries and it is not as cheap as everyone makes it out to be.
Ha, Stillwater police advise people not to leave their cars unlocked. I know first hand not to trust thieves. One time, I foolishly left my Sony digital cameral in the seat of my open convertible before going to Palomino's. When I came out the camera was gone. I don't think most people dare leave the doors of their homes unlocked at night, unless maybe they live out in the country.

It's mainly not so cheap, overall, because insurance in Oklahoma is higher for home and cars, due to bad weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 08:45 AM

17,781 posts, read 13,673,847 times
I know I'm about to get a snide comment about the source of this info... but here goes anyway.

It's a cost of living index for 500 selected cities across the country.

https://advisorsmith.com/data/coli/

OKC comes in about 395th of the 500 cities at 87% of the national average. Three small Oklahoma cities were in the bottom ten (Shawnee, Enid, Muskogee) around 82%.

No California towns were below 100%. El Centro and Visalia were around 102-103%. Of course places like San Francisco and the Bay area were 150% or more. LA was 140%. San Diego was 136%.

OKC was slightly higher than Wichita and Tulsa, slightly lower than Amarillo and Little Rock. Moderately lower than places like KCMO, Omaha, and Des Moines. Dallas was at 98.5% and Austin was 106%.

Looks like OKC is lower than pretty much all the other cities it's size or larger...but higher than a lot of your typical small cities across the country that aren't considered super desirable.

Last edited by eddie gein; 08-13-2021 at 08:54 AM..

Old 08-13-2021, 09:02 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I know I'm about to get a snide comment about the source of this info... but here goes anyway.

It's a cost of living index for 500 selected cities across the country.

https://advisorsmith.com/data/coli/

OKC comes in about 395th of the 500 cities at 87% of the national average. Three small Oklahoma cities were in the bottom ten (Shawnee, Enid, Muskogee) around 82%.

No California towns were below 100%. El Centro and Visalia were around 102-103%. Of course places like San Francisco and the Bay area were 150% or more. LA was 140%. San Diego was 136%.

OKC was slightly higher than Wichita and Tulsa, slightly lower than Amarillo and Little Rock. Moderately lower than places like KCMO, Omaha, and Des Moines. Dallas was at 98.5% and Austin was 106%.

Looks like OKC is lower than pretty much all the other cities it's size or larger...but higher than a lot of your typical small cities across the country that aren't considered super desirable.

Eddie you can smoke this index. It all depends on an individual's needs and wants. If you are willing to live off MickeyDee, hot dogs and drive a subcompact while living in a cheap rental - OKC is inexpensive. When was the last time you checked out shopping carts at grocery stores?

Old 08-14-2021, 08:18 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,146,804 times
Quote:
Eddie you can smoke this index. It all depends on an individual's needs and wants. If you are willing to live off MickeyDee, hot dogs and drive a subcompact while living in a cheap rental - OKC is inexpensive. When was the last time you checked out shopping carts at grocery stores?
Weirdly, when we recently visited OK, the one grocery item we found noticeably higher than in CA was snack chips (potato chips, Doritos, pretzels, that sort of thing). Everything else was about the same, except there was sales tax on (some?) food items. Then again, I didn't do a full grocery shop like I would if I were living there.

Last edited by ImmerLernen; 08-14-2021 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-14-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Weirdly, when we recently visited OK, the one grocery item we found noticeably higher than in CA was snack chips (potato chips, Doritos, pretzels, that sort of thing). Everything else was about the same, except there was sales tax on (some?) food items. Then again, I didn't do a full grocery shop like I would if I were living there.
It looks different when you need 7 days of fresh fruit/vegetables.

Old 08-15-2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
I seldom buy that junk food. Anyway, I don't know how the Republican Legislature in Oklahoma will ever figure out how to abolish the absurd sales tax on ALL groceries purchased, even though most states have figured out how to do it. The smaller the city the more it would be hurt by abolishing the grocery sales tax. So I guess that fact is stopping any effort to abolish sales tax on groceries. Oklahoma people don't want their taxes raised elsewhere to make up for it.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I seldom buy that junk food. Anyway, I don't know how the Republican Legislature in Oklahoma will ever figure out how to abolish the absurd sales tax on ALL groceries purchased, even though most states have figured out how to do it. The smaller the city the more it would be hurt by abolishing the grocery sales tax. So I guess that fact is stopping any effort to abolish sales tax on groceries. Oklahoma people don't want their taxes raised elsewhere to make up for it.
They could double up on grass and CBD.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
They could double up on grass and CBD.
Then the Republican Oklahoma Legislature before it's too late needs to go ahead and legalize rec pot, rather than being forced to accept a law where the people vote YES to put legalized rec pot in the state constitution from the result of a petition and successful YES vote for it.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:23 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Default lol............

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmomlover View Post
No got dang oakies Texas is the best. Who wants to root on the sooners when you can root on the COWBOYS!!!!!!
Okies got Sooners and Cowboys................OU.......OSU............LOL .......

Old 06-05-2022, 10:37 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,347 times
Default Great Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Sorry, I don't have a clue what your post means or what you're trying to say. If you thought I was ragging on Oklahoma, you'd be wrong. I love Oklahoma. I wish I could move to eastern Oklahoma, particularly Pushmataha county, but I'm too old. I also like Antlers. I've visited many times. I liked the people and I liked the scenery. I've said that many times in this forum. I was merely pointing out that Californians are very diverse in their ideologies via different regions. We are not all far left and many of those leaving California for Oklahoma will probably fit in quite nicely. I do understand your resentment of some Calis though and it's justified. Just please don't park all of us in the same parking space. We don't all fit.
I recently discovered OK "Red Dirt Music" and am such a fan I'm ready to move to the state just for the music! What is the best live music town: Tulsa or OKC? Willing to live in smaller cities too just as long as there is some chance for consulting work in oil and gas E&P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma