Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 06:09 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
There's actually two Californias...western/coastal = Very liberal (crazy liberal), and eastern California = conservative. Most of the Californians moving to Oklahoma are the latter...a literal dust bowl in reverse so to speak. These folks are looking for like minded people to live near, it's not simply cost of living. The cost of living in my town in Tulare County is less than McAlester's. Bakersfield is so conservative it makes Tulsa look like San Francisco...ok, not really but....
Good to know. I will tell those 250k+ we sold our million dollar homes now we want the same just on the cheap but you are so backwards you need us type. Deer in the headlights look, honey where is my gun it is not in my bra works wonders at boring parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 08:11 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Good to know. I will tell those 250k+ we sold our million dollar homes now we want the same just on the cheap but you are so backwards you need us type. Deer in the headlights look, honey where is my gun it is not in my bra works wonders at boring parties.
Sorry, I don't have a clue what your post means or what you're trying to say. If you thought I was ragging on Oklahoma, you'd be wrong. I love Oklahoma. I wish I could move to eastern Oklahoma, particularly Pushmataha county, but I'm too old. I also like Antlers. I've visited many times. I liked the people and I liked the scenery. I've said that many times in this forum. I was merely pointing out that Californians are very diverse in their ideologies via different regions. We are not all far left and many of those leaving California for Oklahoma will probably fit in quite nicely. I do understand your resentment of some Calis though and it's justified. Just please don't park all of us in the same parking space. We don't all fit.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:11 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
https://stacker.com/stories/8660/sta...eople-oklahoma

According to this site... in 2019....7500 people moved from California to Oklahoma. California was #4 behind Arkansas, Colorado and Texas as far as states that sent people to Oklahoma.

That is more than I would have figured.... but dwarfed by the number of Texans moving to Oklahoma.... 26K. And it continues a trend in which more Texans move to Oklahoma than vice versa.

According to the same site 83000 Californians moved to Texas. Texas and California were both the #1 states for sending residents to each other. I thought that was kind of funny. No wonder they can't stand each other.
The Texans are fleeing the Californians, or more precisely they're fleeing the inflated housing prices that are caused when Californians sell their horrible two room shacks in the Bay Area for a million bucks, come to Dallas, and get in bidding wars to pay 10, 20, 40 percent over asking price. Of course this drives everyone's property taxes in the neighborhood up, too.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:25 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,104,544 times
[quote=Exaday;61543742]I don't know why it never occurs to people that perhaps many are moving away to escape liberal politics.

That being said, they tend to want to move to places and not really adapt. The people in California who vote for the liberal stuff don't actually like the laws that result from their voting choices. It's strange. They don't seem to make the connection.

Partly because they myopically vote for social reasons without actually thinking about the policies

It's that way too in Western Oregon. My family back there votes democrat every election, but then complain about the liberal mayor, governor, and state/city liberal policies that are feeding the homeless and making downtown Portland unvisitable. But, they won't change their liberal ways, and feel sorry for all the homeless, and know all those sad homeless people just need a bit more help and they'd be off the streets and living productive liberal lives. They don't see the connection that more freebees means more homeless people.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:03 PM

57 posts, read 57,755 times
According to the CA state government, in total over the period from 2007 to 2016 Texas got the most migrants from CA, followed by AZ, Nevada, and Oregon. OK was 9th, getting roughly 1/5 as many as TX. The site also shows that most of the people who moved out of CA had incomes under $55,000 and did not have a college degree.

"Families with kids and those with only a high school education predominate among those moving from California to its top destination states (Texas, Arizona, and Nevada). College-educated 18 to 35 year olds led the way among those moving to California from its top feeder states (New York, Illinois, and New Jersey). "

https://lao.ca.gov/LAOEconTax/Article/Detail/265

Old 07-28-2021, 01:14 PM

57 posts, read 57,755 times
Quote:
Sorry, I don't have a clue what your post means or what you're trying to say. If you thought I was ragging on Oklahoma, you'd be wrong. I love Oklahoma. I wish I could move to eastern Oklahoma, particularly Pushmataha county, but I'm too old. I also like Antlers. I've visited many times. I liked the people and I liked the scenery. I've said that many times in this forum. I was merely pointing out that Californians are very diverse in their ideologies via different regions. We are not all far left and many of those leaving California for Oklahoma will probably fit in quite nicely. I do understand your resentment of some Calis though and it's justified. Just please don't park all of us in the same parking space. We don't all fit.

Very true that it doesn't work to try to stereotype a whole state. California has 39.5 million people. About 1/3 of the voters are Republicans. More Californians voted for Trump than the entire population of Oklahoma. It's mostly not liberals who are moving out, and in any case, if you were a stereotypical liberal would you want to move out of a liberal city to a deep red small town in Oklahoma? Rural Oklahoma is not going to be swamped by ex-San Franciscans any time soon.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:21 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
There's actually two Californias...western/coastal = Very liberal (crazy liberal), and eastern California = conservative. Most of the Californians moving to Oklahoma are the latter...a literal dust bowl in reverse so to speak. These folks are looking for like minded people to live near, it's not simply cost of living. The cost of living in my town in Tulare County is less than McAlester's. Bakersfield is so conservative it makes Tulsa look like San Francisco...ok, not really but....
Rep +1

Old 07-31-2021, 03:46 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
The Texans are fleeing the Californians, or more precisely they're fleeing the inflated housing prices that are caused when Californians sell their horrible two room shacks in the Bay Area for a million bucks, come to Dallas, and get in bidding wars to pay 10, 20, 40 percent over asking price. Of course this drives everyone's property taxes in the neighborhood up, too.
Texan love doing business with Californians , that how they build theirs wealth.......

Old 07-31-2021, 05:49 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Drove into OKC today. A slew of out of state tags from NJ, MA to plenty CA. Non- inexpensive vehicles, mostly drivers with a bit of grey. Landrun?

Old 08-12-2021, 12:05 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBravo View Post
I wanted to know because I'm looking to looking to move to either Oklahoma or Northeast Texas.
So, just go ahead and move to Oklahoma as in the Oklahoma City metro. Most Californians don't love the idea of moving to Oklahoma and missing their mountain scenery and beaches.

Most of the eastern 2/3rds of Oklahoma, including Oklahoma City, haven't gotten as hot as making it up to 100 degrees, so far, this summer. High temps to be back to the 80s next week. Everybody still has a green lawn, so no drought problems. Global Warming not happening here. Northeast Texas will be even more miserably hot and humid in the summer.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-12-2021 at 12:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma