Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times

Advertisements

Thought I would discuss thread drift and see how long we can stay on subject............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Well, how's the weather there tonight? Speaking of weather, ComputerGuy is really facing a change of climate with his move to Oklahoma. But as I understand it, the shift in politics in New Hampshire is an important reason for his moving as well. Hey CG, what's really going on with politics in NH . . .

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Anything in particular about thread drift you'd like to discuss?

Old 04-21-2008, 10:15 PM

708 posts, read 688,472 times
HUH? thread drift? should i just talk? hmm will do!!

im so glad CG is have a great time!! and oh what weather change? theres has been a weather change here from like 90 to 50! kinda sucko ya think? hmm me and Michael r watching Deal or No Deal such an obnxious and nerve racking show. i went to cheer tonight and they threw me in a kick turn basket so much fun!!...ok did i do it right? haha lets all inform britney what thread drift is!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:35 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
It will be interesting to see how the mods handle drifting on a thread about thread drift.

But then, our mods, have been known to drift with the best of us.

Drift on, dudes!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:26 AM

330 posts, read 970,477 times
What qualifies as thread drift? Just asking because I've seen threads go for a page, then comeback or a few pages, then comeback. Does thread drift also include drift with thread termination or even thread+drift+thread moved?

Old 04-22-2008, 02:22 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Okie_Girl View Post
HUH? thread drift? should i just talk? hmm will do!!

im so glad CG is have a great time!! and oh what weather change? theres has been a weather change here from like 90 to 50! kinda sucko ya think? hmm me and Michael r watching Deal or No Deal such an obnxious and nerve racking show. i went to cheer tonight and they threw me in a kick turn basket so much fun!!...ok did i do it right? haha lets all inform britney what thread drift is!
Well, your post is a pretty good example of thread drift!

It's where the posts drift away from the thread topic. Like when one topic leads into another, and that leads to another topic, and next thing you know, you're talking about something completely unrelated to the thread title.

Hypthetical example: I'm from NYC, tired of hustle and bustle of city life, looking at OK. Any nice small towns? How's the weather? (Okay Britney, I know you're not a fan of the next one, but people do ask it.) How about tornadoes? Are there really that many? etc., etc.

Reply: Lots of nice small towns. We do get tornadoes, but it's not a big deal. Just don't live in a trailer park, ha ha.

Next person jumps in: I live in a trailer park, and I do worry sometimes about how vulnerable trailers are in high winds.

Next: Hey, what company built your mobile home? I've often thought of going the route of buying an RV, maybe traveling around the country.

Next: If you do get an RV, I recommend Winnebago as the make.

Next: Getting back to the OP, I notice you said you live in NYC. You need to be prepared for people to be more conservative here politcally than what you're probably used to.

Next: True, but there does seem to be a lot of grassroots support here for Obama this year.

Next: Well, I'm a Republican myself, but if we had to have a Democrat, I'd rather it be Obama than Hillary.

Next: I guess I'd agree with that, but basically I'm just fed up with politics. Even local and state politics are getting me down these days. If you look at the job our governor has been doing . . . well don't get me started.

Next: Yeah, we need better highway funding for one thing. Our roads aren't the best.

Next: Speaking of roads, anyone been pulled over for speeding along the highway from OKC north to Stillwater? I think they patrol that stetch pretty heavily.

Next: They can be pretty strict along there. Still, I think they're less strict all over the state than they used to be. When I was in high school in Enid, people were getting pulled over all the time, for going barely over the speed limit.

Next: Enid? Do they still have the big fair there every year?

Next: Still do. Personally, though, I think the best fair is the one each September in Duncan. They really do the works there. Horse racing, rodeo even . . . all kinds of things.

Next: Rodeo. Now you're talkin' about something I love! Any other rodeo fans on here . . .

. . . and so forth. Remember, the original questions were whether there were any nice small towns in OK, and what OK's weather was like. By now we're WAY off topic. That's thread drift.

Last edited by ogre; 04-22-2008 at 02:43 AM..

Old 04-22-2008, 05:26 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
Thread drift is normal. When having a RL conversation it goes off subject frequently, doesn't it?

Old 04-22-2008, 06:18 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Well, your post is a pretty good example of thread drift!

It's where the posts drift away from the thread topic. Like when one topic leads into another, and that leads to another topic, and next thing you know, you're talking about something completely unrelated to the thread title.

Hypthetical example: I'm from NYC, tired of hustle and bustle of city life, looking at OK. Any nice small towns? How's the weather? (Okay Britney, I know you're not a fan of the next one, but people do ask it.) How about tornadoes? Are there really that many? etc., etc.

Reply: Lots of nice small towns. We do get tornadoes, but it's not a big deal. Just don't live in a trailer park, ha ha.

Next person jumps in: I live in a trailer park, and I do worry sometimes about how vulnerable trailers are in high winds.

Next: Hey, what company built your mobile home? I've often thought of going the route of buying an RV, maybe traveling around the country.

Next: If you do get an RV, I recommend Winnebago as the make.

Next: Getting back to the OP, I notice you said you live in NYC. You need to be prepared for people to be more conservative here politcally than what you're probably used to.

Next: True, but there does seem to be a lot of grassroots support here for Obama this year.

Next: Well, I'm a Republican myself, but if we had to have a Democrat, I'd rather it be Obama than Hillary.

Next: I guess I'd agree with that, but basically I'm just fed up with politics. Even local and state politics are getting me down these days. If you look at the job our governor has been doing . . . well don't get me started.

Next: Yeah, we need better highway funding for one thing. Our roads aren't the best.

Next: Speaking of roads, anyone been pulled over for speeding along the highway from OKC north to Stillwater? I think they patrol that stetch pretty heavily.

Next: They can be pretty strict along there. Still, I think they're less strict all over the state than they used to be. When I was in high school in Enid, people were getting pulled over all the time, for going barely over the speed limit.

Next: Enid? Do they still have the big fair there every year?

Next: Still do. Personally, though, I think the best fair is the one each September in Duncan. They really do the works there. Horse racing, rodeo even . . . all kinds of things.

Next: Rodeo. Now you're talkin' about something I love! Any other rodeo fans on here . . .

. . . and so forth. Remember, the original questions were whether there were any nice small towns in OK, and what OK's weather was like. By now we're WAY off topic. That's thread drift.
Actually that looks more like an example of Multiple Personality Disorder.

They make medications for that you know...

Old 04-22-2008, 06:50 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Actually that looks more like an example of Multiple Personality Disorder.

They make medications for that you know...
HEY!!!!! Don't even THINK of drifting on my watch.... This is Peg's turf. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! grr gr

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/drifter.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-22-2008, 08:04 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
I'm very excited about the Art Festival starting today in OKC. Scott's been looking forward to it for a while. About the only thing he's looking forward to these days. He's still miserable. How long does homesickness last anyway? He's waiting for June to go back to NJ for the senior prom. I already bought his ticket, but I hope the airline I bought it from is still in business in June. Most airlines are having problems because of the price of gas. Last night it hit $117 a barrel!! Speaking of barrels, we left our wheelbarrel in NJ, so all the yard work we're doing is taking soooo long. I'll have to buy a new one soon. The yard needs a lot of work at the beginning of the season, doesn't it? Spring is such a nice time to get back in touch with the earth. Today is earth day. What are you doing to help? I've committed to shutting down my compter each night. Last night I accessed the Art Festival online. I'm very excited about the Art Festival starting today in OKC.

/are you dizzy yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma