Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:49 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,552,294 times

Advertisements

For the technologically challenged and those who take pity on us.

Synopse/CG,

I think all the automatic updates is what screwed up my computer. When I got up this morning, I noticed it had updated itself, yet again, while I was asleep.

Then I got a completely new AOL welcome screen. Is it wise to turn off the automatic updates? I constantly get updates from:

AOL
Kodak
Java
Microsoft
Adobe
etc
etc

I know this is a little like asking a doctor for free medical advice, so if you don't want to get something techie started, that's cool.

And I also know there is a tech forum thread, but I thought I would try this thread here and see if it flies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 05:53 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,940,740 times
Much of your problem lies within having AOL. I know you probably are limited being in the country, but AOL absolutely SUCKS as an Internet Service Provider. And yes, it is FINE to turn off automatic updates. I don't allow any updates to happen without my say so..

Old 12-19-2007, 05:55 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,405,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
For the technologically challenged and those who take pity on us.

Synopse/CG,

I think all the automatic updates is what screwed up my computer. When I got up this morning, I noticed it had updated itself, yet again, while I was asleep.

Then I got a completely new AOL welcome screen. Is it wise to turn off the automatic updates? I constantly get updates from:

AOL
Kodak
Java
Microsoft
Adobe
etc
etc

I know this is a little like asking a doctor for free medical advice, so if you don't want to get something techie started, that's cool.

And I also know there is a tech forum thread, but I thought I would try this thread here and see if it flies.
I'm NOT supposed to be on here right now...
BUT... I was going to suggest a "Tech Thread" to Synopsis when I spoke to him this weekend.. I guess its time has come...

I'll give you an answer to your questions in the AM...
Gotta go, because I want a warm dinner and I want to live!

P.S.

I think it's a GREAT idea....
I LOVE helping folks on these things... I suppose that's why I do it for a living...
(3rd call for dinner... I'm dust! TTYL! )

P.P.S.

AOL s*cks!
We need to get you on a REAL ISP!
(And YES! I got yelled at while I typed this... I AM a rebel! )

Old 12-19-2007, 10:10 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,995,342 times

Old 12-20-2007, 03:18 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,360,037 times
bad upgrade. cat eat mouse soon.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I wish my cats were that smart!

Old 12-20-2007, 04:46 AM

It's okay to turn off automatic updates, providing you have a good firewall...
And NO, the "Windoze firewall" is NOT good!

Most of those updates are just patches for all the security holes in Windoze.
A good firewall will protect you better.

You'll also find that if you got rid of AOL you'd enjoy the Internet more,
and experience WAY better performance.

None of these need to load at startup and if the time comes that you actually need to update one of them, it's easy enough to do by hand.

" Kodak
Java
Microsoft
Adobe"

By not loading all those things at boot, your machine will boot faster and use fewer resources.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:54 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,794,196 times
Default Hooray!!

I'm so glad you guys set this up! Now I can just skip over this thread and my eyes won't be glazed over. Now you do realize I will probably need some help from here sometime soon and have to eat crow! LOL

Old 12-20-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I'm so glad you guys set this up! Now I can just skip over this thread and my eyes won't be glazed over. Now you do realize I will probably need some help from here sometime soon and have to eat crow! LOL
Ummm... Colleen who?

This weekend the moderators will announce that this thread is REQUIRED reading for all registered users in good standing.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:45 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,552,294 times
CG and Synopse, Take your pic on which question to answer.

WHich one of you has more MG bytes of ram in your brain?

Who is tetrabyte dominant alpha guru techno gigantaurus?

WHich one of you is mac and which is windoze (as CG puts it).

I thought Apples was the unpopular one, now it seems CG is forever bashing windoze. Did I miss something?

Can you recommend a website link, or puter for Dummies type book so I can learn the basics of this stuff? Or even a webzine, a tv show on directv?

Original recipe or extra crispy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma