Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 12:27 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Much of your problem lies within having AOL. I know you probably are limited being in the country, but AOL absolutely SUCKS as an Internet Service Provider. And yes, it is FINE to turn off automatic updates. I don't allow any updates to happen without my say so..
You are absolutely right! I had AOL...........for a very short time. AOL Interfered with ever part of my computer. (I was with Gateway then)
And then, with out a contract I may add, I could not get rid of AOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 01:44 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Sorry jessaka, it was meant to be mud; it was all a bunch of garbage! Don't call Dell with that or you'll be on their list of "stupidest callers!" Sorry, I was only trying to joke around. I know I should have tipped you off a little more as it was just a joke.
Please, don't taze me jessaka!
I was going to reprimand you for making poor Jessaka's eyes glaze over,
but you came clean... Hopefully before she got Dell on the phone.

JESSAKA - Read my last post and give me that info I asked for, and I can help you out. (Because I'm not MEAN like Synop.)

Synop - I have a friend who has 3 of those Ataris...
They still work and he used them for MIDI until recently.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Peggie is honorary member because her name matches the girl's name in the MOD SQUAD.
I don't remember much about The Mod Squad, but the female actress' REAL name was Peggy Lipton... (I think). Not the character.

Quote:
You can be Link, the cool black guy, okay? Besides, you can't have just two okie geeks hanging out together, ... people will talk!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/modsquad.jpg (broken link)
I'm not too worried about talk...
I'm quite secure in my manhood.
I'd be more worried about Peggy's husband finding out
about her extracurricular Geek Squad activities.

Quote:
To stay on topic, I have temp fixed my AOL firewall problem by clicking on AOL icon, then right-clicking to properties, then EXPLORE and clicking the ADJUST AOL to RUN COMPATABLE W/Windows 2000.
Simple EH?[/quote]

For those who didn't understand that...

What he said was:

"I opened my firewall to allow even MORE ads to be served from AOL and to allow them to track my Internet usage.
I also allowed them to use even more of my valuable resources to make my computer do things that don't benefit me at all."

Simple huh?

Old 12-24-2007, 02:31 PM

Since there are at least 2 or 3 GIMP users here, you may enjoy the following link:

http://www.techzilo.com/gimp-plugins/

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Old 12-25-2007, 04:49 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Now, my AOL problems are back.

And before you say DUMP the AOL, I can't until the New Years.

PROBLEM:

I can only use AOL once, when I sign off, it can't sign on/dial up again, one of the files is broken

So, I slap the AOL disk in and REdownload the AOL program.

Now it say file "abook.dll" is in use and cannot download AOL. So I deleted all abook.dll except one which says access denied.

I can't get a new AOL disc because wallyworld is closed.

How do I delete this abook.dll file?

I basically get around it by

going to program files and deleting AOL

going to add.remove programs and uninstalling aol and starting from scratch.

P.S. I deleted all the old AOL versions on my pewter. Obie wan compuboyee, help me.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:02 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
For those who didn't understand that...

What he said was:

"I opened my firewall to allow even MORE ads to be served from AOL and to allow them to track my Internet usage.
I also allowed them to use even more of my valuable resources to make my computer do things that don't benefit me at all."

Simple huh?
OUCH! ComputerGuy, that was MEAN! You might make a good okie after all!

I also added spybot to go with my adaware, and when I downloaded AOL I left the compatability off. I didn't know clicking the compatibility would open the firewall.

Down boy!

Old 12-25-2007, 05:07 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Now, my AOL problems are back.

And before you say DUMP the AOL, I can't until the New Years.

PROBLEM:

I can only use AOL once, when I sign off, it can't sign on/dial up again, one of the files is broken

So, I slap the AOL disk in and REdownload the AOL program.

Now it say file "abook.dll" is in use and cannot download AOL. So I deleted all abook.dll except one which says access denied.

I can't get a new AOL disc because wallyworld is closed.

How do I delete this abook.dll file?

I basically get around it by

going to program files and deleting AOL

going to add.remove programs and uninstalling aol and starting from scratch.

P.S. I deleted all the old AOL versions on my pewter. Obie wan compuboyee, help me.
You could use the msconfig function to close down the processes using abook.dll and then it would probably allow you to delete the file. abook.dll is an address book plugin for netscape.

The problem is that it's probably in your registry as well and will show up again once you reboot the computer. The only way to fix some of these problems is to use the registry editor and unless you are a pretty good computer guru I wouldn't recommend that; it's a good way to hire someone like computerguy to come out and fix your computer.

AOL. I HATE that program. It's not only lousy but once you get on with them they have these techniques where they just keep on charging people and you can never get off their darned service. I had it back in the very early 90s and although I cancelled they kept charging me, and you could never reach their customer service. What a scam!!!

Last edited by Synopsis; 12-25-2007 at 05:18 PM..

Old 12-25-2007, 05:25 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
By the way, if anyone is looking for a GREAT media player, as opposed to those such as Windoze media player and the like, go to www.videolan.org. It's a great media player that supports just about every file imaginable and is free to boot. It's especially good for playing DVDs and such on your computer. It's a small file too, just around 9 meg.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:56 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Synopsis wrote:
Quote:
AOL. I HATE that program. It's not only lousy but once you get on with them they have these techniques where they just keep on charging people and you can never get off their darned service. I had it back in the very early 90s and although I cancelled they kept charging me, and you could never reach their customer service. What a scam!!!
Exactly!!
I was part of 2 "class action" law suits against AOL for Double charging and over charging.

redbird4848
I had to go through the whole system manually to make sure that AOL wasn't embedded in there.
Now they have a way of cleaning them out.
http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/gets..._id=10073XPHb1
With "Dial-up" do you have "restore system" or do you have a "recovery disc"?

Get rid of Adware and Starware, they're letting ads fill your disc every time you log in.
Clean out AOL and get NetZero,it's for dial-up. it's $9.95 a month and very good. I had it for years. I still have the email.
http://www.netzero.net/

Old 12-25-2007, 08:41 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
I was going to reprimand you for making poor Jessaka's eyes glaze over,
but you came clean... Hopefully before she got Dell on the phone.

JESSAKA - Read my last post and give me that info I asked for, and I can help you out. (Because I'm not MEAN like Synop.)
I got them on the phone, and they had me put my computer back to factory, and so I lost everything. I tried to download documents onto disks, and I was pretty sure that they didn't download there, but the Dell guy insisted that they had. So I lost stuff. Not everything since I had everything on a disk back in August, but whatever was put on there afterwards is gone.

Not only that, but I am not sure that this is really going to work.

Yel, my eyes glazed over. I didn't know what he was talking about, but he was banking on that. lol. I read the tech on Dell what Synopsis said, but he made no comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma