Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 08:12 PM

653 posts, read 1,792,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I can't seem to understand El Nino. Does that mean more rain or less? Also does mean more heat? I looked it up on goggle but still am lost on the two.
Debbie, El Nino's.. which is a warming of the waters in the central and eastern Pacific usually, but not always means a wetter fall and winter for Oklahoma along with an unusual amount of cloudy, grey days. Sometimes, snow and ice can be higher than normal for us and into the mid south like Arkansas and Tennesse. The Deep South (Fla.AL. and GA.) can see a lot of rain and severe weather during the winter during such events. This El Nino coming up, which I still think according to the latest data will happen, is a little different. The water temperatures that are above normal will be more focused across the central Pacific than the east. This can have some interesting ramifications as not only can we see above normal moisture, but can cause some wild gyrations in the jet stream patterns. The Modokai El Nino.. which is what this el nino we'll be experiencing is called, will at best be on the low end of a moderate one. Just enough to add to the fun and games of forecasting this winter. Some climatologists are calling for a winter similar to 2009-10. Remember the Christmas Eve blizzard in '09? If all the analogues from past years, including '09-'10 come to pass, this may truly be a winter we'll remember. Don't forget though.. I'm going off data and analogues (comparing years past with similar weather patterns and cycles) .. and computer model data is fallible at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 07:26 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,355,075 times
Thank you Rocky and we did get 5 and 1/2 inches of rain total for yesterday and last night combined.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:41 AM

24,357 posts, read 13,223,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
... The Modokai El Nino.. which is what this el nino we'll be experiencing is called, will at best be on the low end of a moderate one. Just enough to add to the fun and games of forecasting this winter. Some climatologists are calling for a winter similar to 2009-10. Remember the Christmas Eve blizzard in '09? If all the analogues from past years, including '09-'10 come to pass, this may truly be a winter we'll remember...
Maybe I should do as my wife says and start cutting firewood now...

2.2" in SW OK since Tuesday.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:24 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,723,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Thank you Rocky and we did get 5 and 1/2 inches of rain total for yesterday and last night combined.
I wish Stillwater didn't usually get bypassed by most of the rain when it tries to move in. Stillwater only got around .60".

Old 08-02-2014, 06:00 AM

653 posts, read 1,792,785 times
Looks like not just Stillwater gets bypassed, but according to the last few runs of the computer models, now suggests that the anticipated cool down and more rain for next week... is no longer anticipated for any part of the state. Instead, we go into a steamy, hot pattern with only isolated storms at best,; pretty typical by August standards. Temperatures may very well flirt with or exceed 100F by the following weekend. I'm still thinking that changes are afoot in about 2 weeks as we transcend into a more active pattern where cool incursions and better precip. chances are possible. I'm still looking at increased chances of tropical development closer to Florida.. maybe the Gulf of Mexico.. how that affects our weather here in the Sooner State remains to be seen.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:41 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,355,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Maybe I should do as my wife says and start cutting firewood now...

2.2" in SW OK since Tuesday.

That is what my husband is doing now. He loves to cut firewood and almost cries when we have too warm of a winter.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:37 AM

34,256 posts, read 20,586,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Looks like not just Stillwater gets bypassed, but according to the last few runs of the computer models, now suggests that the anticipated cool down and more rain for next week... is no longer anticipated for any part of the state. Instead, we go into a steamy, hot pattern with only isolated storms at best,; pretty typical by August standards. Temperatures may very well flirt with or exceed 100F by the following weekend. I'm still thinking that changes are afoot in about 2 weeks as we transcend into a more active pattern where cool incursions and better precip. chances are possible. I'm still looking at increased chances of tropical development closer to Florida.. maybe the Gulf of Mexico.. how that affects our weather here in the Sooner State remains to be seen.
I love the cool-downs! Keep 'em coming!

Old 08-03-2014, 08:13 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,480,168 times
Seems to me this July has been unusually rainy... I've heard thunder so often and sure enough, it's not long before it's raining, more like June weather and the cooling remains, which is a treat.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:40 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,723,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Seems to me this July has been unusually rainy... I've heard thunder so often and sure enough, it's not long before it's raining, more like June weather and the cooling remains, which is a treat.
Sometimes the distant thunder I hear is really coming from an earthquake. You're fortunate if earthquakes are still so rare where you live that they don't get on your nerves.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:18 PM

34,256 posts, read 20,586,963 times
I have yet to feel one Okie earthquake.

I don't think we have hit 100 degree temps here yet. We are between "the city" and McAlester. We have hit 99 a few times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma