Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:25 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,588,185 times

Advertisements

thank you for the photo tour of The Bronx........what amazed me was the streets were clean, buildings looked in good shape and there were no people loitering around. The Bronx will come back, maybe not the way I remember but I hope that someday The Bronx will raise again. As I looked at the pictures my mind was racing remembering some parts that I remembered, the glorious Gand Concourse, taking the bus up to 197th St. to visit my aunt, she lived on Pond Place, dad driving over Fordham Rd. to go to St. Peters Ave. to visit my other aunt, and me taking the bus up to Fordham Rd. than the bus that was near the RKO Fordham (gone now) up to Woodlawn.

Thanks a million for bringing back such fond memories for me through the pictures you posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 03:28 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,616 times
Great photos fsval. I don't like that new construction at 201st street. I don't think it fits in with the neighborhood. It's also really small inside and they're asking an insane amount of money. Another one is going up down the block on Decatur.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:48 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
........what amazed me was the streets were clean, buildings looked in good shape and there were no people loitering around.
Hilarious, if you only knew. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Great photos fsval. I don't like that new construction at 201st street. I don't think it fits in with the neighborhood. It's also really small inside and they're asking an insane amount of money. Another one is going up down the block on Decatur.
That 3 apartment balcony house crap. Nicer then the bulk of new construction I have seen in the Bronx. They should have made the lot a playground. Of course no one would make money that way. Ugly, but better then other construction I have seen. I wish they would just make simple 5-6 story structures that fit into the neighborhood. Of course they are trying to do away with that. Slum clearance. Instead they vaporize blocks and build huge apartment buildings that look like housing projects.

I wonder who purchased the building? Now they go and rent out the 3 units while they live in Rockland County and collect. See it all the time. Hopefully they get good tenents. Also hope they are good landlords. No one buys homes and lives in them in the Bronx anymore. Very rarely. The home cost for non subidized housing is way beyond the income of the nieghborhoods they are built in. So no one local can afford them. People from other areas buy then rent out. The exception of course is subsidized housing.

Last edited by Hustla718; 07-05-2007 at 04:02 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 04:03 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,205,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I wonder who purchased the building? Now they go and rent out the 3 units while they live in Rockland County and collect. See it all the time. Hopefully they get good tenents. Also hope they are good landlords. No one buys homes and lives in them in the Bronx anymore. Very rarely. Mostly older homes from the early 90's. Those people bought the houses and live in one unit, but many have since moved on to Florida, upstate, and Jersey. Now only those built in really ****ty areas are subsidized. Like south of Fordham Road. The home cost for non subidized housing is way beyond the income of the nieghborhoods they are built in. So no one local can afford them. People buy then rent out.
omigod the big bad capitalists are trying to make a buck!

in years past nodody would even consider investing in the bronx.So to me the fact that people are investing there is a positive for the bronx.

If there were no investors, there would be less rental units for people to live in.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:13 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,373 times
I'm glad I went with my gut feeling when I bought my spot in Parkchester. So far, so great! I didn't say it was Park Slope (my old nabe), but I know I made a great investment.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I'm glad I went with my gut feeling when I bought my spot in Parkchester. So far, so great! I didn't say it was Park Slope (my old nabe), but I know I made a great investment.
parkchester had it's issues awhile back, I think it has been stabilized and you should do well there, good luck

Old 07-05-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
No one buys homes and lives in them in the Bronx anymore. Very rarely.
I've been in this borough 4 weeks. I've observed a whole lot in these 4 weeks! My Hustla friend, you are absolutely positively WRONG!

Old 07-05-2007, 04:28 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I've been in this borough 4 weeks. I've observed a whole lot in these 4 weeks! My Hustla friend, you are absolutely positively WRONG!
Why, you haven't been killed or threatened, so all is well? Please. 4 weeks. Haha.

Parkchester is not bad. It never really was bad. The areas AROUND Parkchester are bad. Archer, Taylor, Thieriot, ect. Mostly to the west. The worst thing about the Parkchester complex is the housing is a bit run down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
omigod the big bad capitalists are trying to make a buck!

in years past nodody would even consider investing in the bronx.So to me the fact that people are investing there is a positive for the bronx.

If there were no investors, there would be less rental units for people to live in.
What if all housing in the area was priced so that people in that neighborhood could actually afford to buy it. Subsidize more of the housing. Belive it or not, the homeowners in the subsidized new construction townhouses, keep their property better kept then those who buy, live somewhere else and rent it out.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Why, you haven't been killed or threatened, so all is well? Please. 4 weeks. Haha.

Parkchester is not bad. It never really was bad. The areas AROUND Parkchester are bad. Archer, Taylor, Thieriot, ect. Mostly to the west. The worst thing about the Parkchester complex is the housing is a bit run down.
I didn't say that everything was gonna be peaches and roses. I'm not saying that things don't and won't happen. But I'll say this: people who have been in this city for the long haul have gone through hell and back. And there's no way they should be discouraged from owning a piece of this city, especially since everyone else is making a profit. And the rhetoric of "avoid this place" or "avoid that place" is doing just that.

Years ago, Williamsburg was the place to avoid. Plenty of Puerto Ricans, etc. jumped up and left, due to the crime in the area back in the day. Now, people are buying property in that area in droves, and the much of the native Boriqua population has missed out on its renaissance!

The same with Park Slope. No one likes to be reminded of the Slope being a drug and gangsta neighborhood in the 60s, 70s up until the mid 80s. My former neighbors (longtime residents) told me of the various Puerto Rican, Italian and Black gangs that rumbled in the Slope. Now, none of those three groups, as a whole, have any piece of Park Slope! (individuals may, but not as a whole).

I am glad my uncles are keeping their properties in Crown Heights and East Flatbush (both had it since the 60s). Let me tell you, they've gone through hell in their communities, but now, people are calling with offers to buy literally everyday. One uncle (Crown Heights) has retired to NC, but he isn't selling. The other is still in East Flatbush, and he isn't going anywhere. Not selling, either! Property in this city is power, dammit!

Old 07-05-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:

What if all housing in the area was priced so that people in that neighborhood could actually afford to buy it. Subsidize more of the housing. Belive it or not, the homeowners in the subsidized new construction townhouses, keep their property better kept then those who buy, live somewhere else and rent it out.

landlords are not social service agencies they own their property and rent it out with the idea of making a profit, someone is paying the high rents because if they weren't the landlords would be forced to lower rents until they could find tenants.
if you say subsidised tenants are better tenants, ok, I wouldn't know, and frankly I couldn't care less. What I do care about is how freely you are willing to spend other people's money, just where do you think the subsidies come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City