Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:08 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Well if you really don't like it, get ready to say goodbye. Impact is getting the axe becuase of a severe lack of police. So no more footpost.
Yeah that is scary. I am concerned about that. A big part of crime prevention is police presence. I truly believe a big chunk of crime is prevented just by having cops patrolling around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 04:18 PM

45 posts, read 210,007 times
I Lived On 174 On Sheridan Just Off The Grandconcourse For 20 Yrs. I Shopped On Fordham Road All The Time. So I Know The Area . All Parts Of Fordhamroad Is The Dumps It' S Drug Invested With
A Lot Of Blacks An Hispanics Hanging Out On The Corner Playing
Loud Music. I Quickly Moved Out Of The Bronx I Didn't Want To
Raise My Kids In Filt. The Bronx Is Just Totally Dispictable. No
One Should Want To Live There. I Am Currently Residing In Tampa
My Daughter Goes To One Of The Best Schools In The Area. I Still
Have Family That Live In The Bronx Roach Invested Apartments.

Iam Not Bitter I Just Feel That Because We Are Minorites Doesn't Mean We Have To Live In Filt.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:16 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,801,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzeka View Post
I Lived On 174 On Sheridan Just Off The Grandconcourse For 20 Yrs. I Shopped On Fordham Road All The Time. So I Know The Area . All Parts Of Fordhamroad Is The Dumps It' S Drug Invested With
A Lot Of Blacks An Hispanics Hanging Out On The Corner Playing
Loud Music. I Quickly Moved Out Of The Bronx I Didn't Want To
Raise My Kids In Filt. The Bronx Is Just Totally Dispictable. No
One Should Want To Live There. I Am Currently Residing In Tampa
My Daughter Goes To One Of The Best Schools In The Area. I Still
Have Family That Live In The Bronx Roach Invested Apartments.

Iam Not Bitter I Just Feel That Because We Are Minorites Doesn't Mean We Have To Live In Filt.
I say the same thing and I am called a racist.

Just becuase our people are poor, does not mean we are supposed to act like animals. It's time for my people to raise their damn kids, and stop letting them wonder the streets getting into ghetto bul****.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:37 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,588,533 times
I know that your a cop, and hispanic, I read your posts and try to understand HOW an area could get soooo messed up. Was it the people?
The landlords? Or county/state politians that messed up the Bronx? Or a little bit of everything.

The Bronx of my youth is gone, things that I remember are all gone......
Alexanders, Fordham Hospital (lousy to begin with) Howard Johnsons
Cousins Records, Gorman's Hot Dogs........I played in St. James Park
went to The Paradise to see a movie or the RKO Fordham (gone) went for ice cream at Krums (fire/then closed)........went to school on Ryer Ave/Valentine
SSS.........when I travel down to Creston Ave. (183rd) I get a lump in my throat because I remember what used to be.

Will the Bronx, ever return to what glory it once was. Will the people have pride in there homes/pride in themselves? Will the Bronx Rise Again.

I'd like to hear your comments...............Songbird

Old 06-19-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
I know that your a cop, and hispanic, I read your posts and try to understand HOW an area could get soooo messed up. Was it the people?
The landlords? Or county/state politians that messed up the Bronx? Or a little bit of everything.

The Bronx of my youth is gone, things that I remember are all gone......
Alexanders, Fordham Hospital (lousy to begin with) Howard Johnsons
Cousins Records, Gorman's Hot Dogs........I played in St. James Park
went to The Paradise to see a movie or the RKO Fordham (gone) went for ice cream at Krums (fire/then closed)........went to school on Ryer Ave/Valentine
SSS.........when I travel down to Creston Ave. (183rd) I get a lump in my throat because I remember what used to be.

Will the Bronx, ever return to what glory it once was. Will the people have pride in there homes/pride in themselves? Will the Bronx Rise Again.

I'd like to hear your comments...............Songbird
There are a lot of things one can blame for the downfall of the Bronx. However the main thing is broken families, a problem caused by poverty. So many families torn apart by prison, single parent mothers, death, ect. kids grow up with no morality. Who honestly wants to be around that but more poor (no choice). And the problems continue. As for the concetration of poverty in the Bronx, blame it on years of neglect by th city (still neglects the Bronx). It became an undesireable place years ago, and till this day is still a mess. Why so much neglect? Racism. The stigma is being Black or Brown. Being poor, lower income. And till this day nothing is being done about this. But what can be done? It's up to the individual.

As for 183rd and Creston, that place should be bombed. Someone was killed in that area last night during a drive-by. Place is a drug factory, destroying more lives already weakened by poverty.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:34 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,588,533 times
Default Hustla718

Having beenr raised in the Bronx among many different nationalities I can accept nearly everyone, my first love was a young man who worked on 183rd St. originally from Coamo, PR, there was only one black male and he was the super of a building on 182nd St. a nice man, friendly but yet distant he would never actually stop and hold a conversation with a white person, other than hello have a nice day. I see people as human beings, if you treat me with respect and are not out to harm me or steal from me, then you get treated with the same respect. I don't buy this poverty BS, there is no free ride...
while I may have been better off than some, I can't see why people can't try at least to raise above the situations they are in, it can be done.

Drugs another downfall.......I was talking with someone who happened to visit
the Arthur Ave area last week, and he reported that he walked around freely
had a nice lunch, visited the stores that are always opened and that for a nice day trip it was pleasant, there were no drug dealers hanging on corners
someone reminded him that the residents of that area, for years have kept the so called "undesirables" out of the area. That it is one of the sections of the Bronx that the people themselves wouldn't let the rifraft in. So if one section can do this, what happened to the rest of the Bronx. Seems like everyone just gave up.

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy your posts, you tell it like it is and don't sugarcoat the situation as it is now. Songbird42

Old 06-23-2007, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 8,317 times
Born, Raised,Worked and Live in the Bronx. Throggs Neck is a great place to live, Express Bus to Metro Area Manhattan. 45 Pct. low crime, low taxes compared to other Boros. Many civil service retirees and recently young families are puchasing homes. Excellent Catholic Schools one being (Preston), from my experience it best to purchase a house in a two fare zone you avoid strangers roaming your block. Anyway Check the stats my block is walking distance from precinct .. I have a decent size lot pool and large shed and there is no loitering after dark. Yes this is the Bronx, also City Island and Orchard Beach is accessible by Bus. Remember if your going to invest long term make sure you look at where the Best Hospitals are located Good Luck .. Will remain in tHE BRONX

Old 06-23-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBX View Post
Born, Raised,Worked and Live in the Bronx. Throggs Neck is a great place to live, Express Bus to Metro Area Manhattan. 45 Pct. low crime, low taxes compared to other Boros. Many civil service retirees and recently young families are puchasing homes. Excellent Catholic Schools one being (Preston), from my experience it best to purchase a house in a two fare zone you avoid strangers roaming your block. Anyway Check the stats my block is walking distance from precinct .. I have a decent size lot pool and large shed and there is no loitering after dark. Yes this is the Bronx, also City Island and Orchard Beach is accessible by Bus. Remember if your going to invest long term make sure you look at where the Best Hospitals are located Good Luck .. Will remain in tHE BRONX
Yes, Throgs Neck is one of the few decent areas left. However it is slowly declining thanks to overpopulation. The area near the Throgs Neck Houses isn't too great either. The good thing is that area is isolated by the highway, well good for the rest of Throgs Neck, bad for the few blocks around the projects west of the highway.

Last edited by Hustla718; 06-23-2007 at 03:28 AM..

Old 06-28-2007, 07:51 AM

13 posts, read 79,831 times
Hustla I really don't know what your agenda is - While there are certainly parts of Fordham/Bedford that arent great - it is far safer then it was, is far safer then many, many places in NYC and other cities and is not the crime infested rat hole you are trying to portray.

By way of example YTD their have been 6 homicides in 2007 in the 52nd Precinct which is down 25% from last yr (their were 13 homicides all of 2006); now that is far too many but in a population of 141,000, it really isnt too bad at all. And if you look at the Bronx as a whole - YTD (6/24/07) there were 53 Homicides which works out to be about 7.6 Homicides per 100,000 which puts it on par with Omaha Nebraska.

I purposely only cite the homicide statistics b/c even though other crime categories put the Bronx in an even better light, I already know that you dismiss all crime statistics as being fudged. Its kinda tough to hide a dead body or reclassify it as a misdemeanor.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:32 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Yes, Throgs Neck is one of the few decent areas left. However it is slowly declining thanks to overpopulation. The area near the Throgs Neck Houses isn't too great either. The good thing is that area is isolated by the highway, well good for the rest of Throgs Neck, bad for the few blocks around the projects west of the highway.
Can you tell me what are the signs of decline in Throggs Neck? Because I sure don't see it. And I sure don't see overpopulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City