Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:57 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,801,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthQueens149 View Post
Crime in Midtown is reported promptly and exhaustively. Crime in the outer boros, especially The Bronx, often times do not make the papers.

Take a look at this website throughout the day and tell me which area's incidents get the most press.

Gothamist Labs: Map (http://gothamist.com/labs/map - broken link)

Murders in the Bronx may show up in The Post's Police Blotter, but a rape in Midtown (Edit: MANHATTAN SOUTH) will be on the first ten pages. It's always been this way.
Thank you. And the gothamist crime map only picks up blotter crime. In my precinct it only picked up on one shooting yesturday, we also had a big perp chase (seperate) and very serious assualt. Numorous robberies and assualts (but that never makes the map/blotter) At least that's all I know until I left.

Again like I said. Bedford Park Blvd and down is terrible. Bedford Park Blvd to Moshulo also isn't the greatest, some swaths really rough. North of Moshulo is declining. Good and bad blocks.

You want good Bronx neighborhood just north of Manhattan: 50th Precinct and Woodlawn. Kingsbridge is a little shady along with Marble Hill so I would avoid those areas. The rest in the 50th are decent.

The 52 Precinct which covers Bedford-Park is a busy precinct. They handel a lot of jobs. Lots of crime. Area has two impact zones. Both south of Bedford Park Blvd. They don't set up impact coverage in low crime areas.

Last edited by Hustla718; 06-29-2007 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 06:00 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
one thing thats safe to say: it was much better than it was 20 yrs ago. i would walk anywhere in the bronx be4 i walk in brownsville and i'm a native new yorker born & raised. and i've hung out in some crappy areas in the bronx (creston ave & 184th, morris projects, tinton & westchester, union & 165th, intervale & 163rd).

Old 07-02-2007, 02:14 AM

842 posts, read 4,310,050 times
To Hustla 718,
I am thinking about moving to Bedford Park. Are you saying Bedford Park is getting worse? If so, which pockets? I am interested in E. 204th St. bounded by Mosholu to the north and grand concourse to the west. Is this specific area a hotbed for crime? I heard there is a small asian community there as well

Old 07-02-2007, 07:47 AM

13 posts, read 79,831 times
Hustla says every part of NYC is getting worse and this includes Bedford Park - of course he doesnt live, work or shop in Bedford Park and he has some sort of anti-NY anti-Bronx agenda.
However every crime statistic, every economic indicator, and every quality of life indicator - from any source (Gov't, private sector, media) says that the Bronx is getting better and Bedford Park is considered a reasonably safe and up and coming area.

However if you want a guaranteed negative response - wait for Hustla.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
To Hustla 718,
I am thinking about moving to Bedford Park. Are you saying Bedford Park is getting worse? If so, which pockets? I am interested in E. 204th St. bounded by Mosholu to the north and grand concourse to the west. Is this specific area a hotbed for crime? I heard there is a small asian community there as well
The cross streets of E 204 are some of the more problematic blocks in the Norwood area (especially closer to Webster). It is also north of the PKWY. If you must move into that neighborhood, move into a block with a lot of houses over tenements. The area you are talking about is Norwood too btw. It's really hit or miss for Norwood these days. Area is slowly declining. Good and bad blocks. It's also better closer to Van Courtland Park.

Bedford Park has pockets of bad areas, and pockets of good. Declining faster then Norwood.

Fordham-Bedford, or Fordham (Fordham Road to Bedford Park Blvd) is a complete dump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrg View Post
Hustla says every part of NYC is getting worse and this includes Bedford Park - of course he doesnt live, work or shop in Bedford Park and he has some sort of anti-NY anti-Bronx agenda.
However every crime statistic, every economic indicator, and every quality of life indicator - from any source (Gov't, private sector, media) says that the Bronx is getting better and Bedford Park is considered a reasonably safe and up and coming area.

However if you want a guaranteed negative response - wait for Hustla.
Here is where you are wrong. I never said every part of New York is on the decline. I'm talking about the areas that make up the 52nd precinct. These were great neighborhoods at one point. The southern part of the 52nd precinct which has always been sketchy turned to **** in the 80's. Then it improved some over the years (if you call that improvement) and now it is starting to decline again. Low income Dominicans getting priced out of Washington Heights or strait from DR are moving into Bedford Park and Norwood. Along with that comes low income problems.

But yeah, of course I must have some anti-NY agenda. And no, while the crime statistics may say crime is down versus 1990. Look at the moore recent comparisons. Also look at the average income in the area over the years. Belive what you want.

Last edited by Hustla718; 07-02-2007 at 02:32 PM..

Old 07-03-2007, 03:35 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,634,126 times
The area he or she is asking about is 204th St. south of Mosholu-the Korean community.

I've lived in Bedford Park for more than 3 years, in what started out as one of the crappier blocks in the area, but now it's pretty decent, though not one of the best. When we moved in we had two problem buildings (3 family houses). One was an SRO, literally a rat hole. The other had an absentee landlord whose tenants were horrible. Both buildings have changed hands, and both owners have done a lot of work on the houses. We have 2 other houses on the block that look really scary, but the owners are nice families who've owned the houses forever. Crime hasn't been an issue for us, but the block is far from calm and quiet. There is always a baseball game on the corner, actually quite organized with different age groups. There are always lots of kids playing in the street. I had to laugh when I read the Times article lamenting the loss of street play in NYC - the authors haven't been to my block. Someone mentioned Woodlawn. It is a nicer neighborhood, much quieter, less dense, cleaner. But Bedford Park has is very well situated, with subway and metro-north access and really the best open space in the city (botanical gardens). We go to off Broadway shows at Lehman College, are able to walk to Little Italy and also like that we are able to walk to a major shopping hub. I'm white but don't stick out, although by race I'm a minority. At the moment I don't have much computer time and find myself only reading the Bronx stuff. It's funny all the arguement that goes on about the Bronx. Our idea originally was to live in our house for a few years, rent it out and buy another house. But now we hope to stay.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
The area he or she is asking about is 204th St. south of Mosholu-the Korean community.

I've lived in Bedford Park for more than 3 years, in what started out as one of the crappier blocks in the area, but now it's pretty decent, though not one of the best. When we moved in we had two problem buildings (3 family houses). One was an SRO, literally a rat hole. The other had an absentee landlord whose tenants were horrible. Both buildings have changed hands, and both owners have done a lot of work on the houses. We have 2 other houses on the block that look really scary, but the owners are nice families who've owned the houses forever. Crime hasn't been an issue for us, but the block is far from calm and quiet. There is always a baseball game on the corner, actually quite organized with different age groups. There are always lots of kids playing in the street. I had to laugh when I read the Times article lamenting the loss of street play in NYC - the authors haven't been to my block. Someone mentioned Woodlawn. It is a nicer neighborhood, much quieter, less dense, cleaner. But Bedford Park has is very well situated, with subway and metro-north access and really the best open space in the city (botanical gardens). We go to off Broadway shows at Lehman College, are able to walk to Little Italy and also like that we are able to walk to a major shopping hub. I'm white but don't stick out, although by race I'm a minority. At the moment I don't have much computer time and find myself only reading the Bronx stuff. It's funny all the arguement that goes on about the Bronx. Our idea originally was to live in our house for a few years, rent it out and buy another house. But now we hope to stay.
Again, up by Mosholu you have decent and bad blocks. E 204th Street does have some bad cross streets. Decatur, Hull, ect are terrible. Lots of drugs, violent crime. Of course there are a few decent blocks. You just confirmed what I said.

Problem is area is declining. It was not like that before. I'm talking way beyond just 3 years ago. Even more recent, more poor coming into the area. It's not attracting the middle class. definately not the rich. With poverty comes problems. Do you think the drug dealing and crime will only stay on those "bad" blocks? Of course not. Living in that neighborhood is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.

You also obviously aren't a street person. You wouldn't know what kind of crime activity is going on in the area unless you are directly effected anyway. Not an insult.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:44 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,634,126 times
I’m not a 'street person', but I’m very aware of my surroundings, have lived in New York for a very long time in Clinton, East Village, Inwood, and am not oblivious to what’s happening around me. I know my neighbors and hear a lot of gossip and assure you I would have heard about so much stuff happening, or at least seen police cars or something. I can’t speak beyond 3 years, since I’ve been here its gotten much better, and it seems I’m always meeting more educated professionals who have made the decision to move here to take advantage of lower prices, convenience, open space, etc. Some blocks are better than others, and some are really beautiful. South of Bedford Park Blvd. can get quite dicey, but not all blocks either, and I'm confident that it's improving there too. Crime statistics are down every year but I know you think that’s some kind of conspiracy between the city and NYPD. It’s a shame that as a police officer you don’t have confidence in your abilities or that of your fellow officers to control crime. I have to say that in Clinton when I lived there (maybe12 years ago) we had lots of drug activity, a dealer on the corner and lots of messed up people. I don’t see anything like where we live now. Everyone has their own opinions, but I do hope that you can find a place where you are happy and feel that you can make a difference in your profession. (Honestly, I don't mean that as an insult either.)

Last edited by yodel; 07-05-2007 at 08:56 AM..

Old 07-05-2007, 11:49 AM

67 posts, read 353,116 times
I think the previous poster was referring to 204th btwn Grand Concourse & Mosholu. That immediate area is pretty nice and clean. And it’s only two blocks away from the Bedford Park D station. There are lots of co-ops in the area so most of the buildings are well-kept. I know most of my neighbors too, so they always tell me the run around. I always come home late and walk my dogs at night, and never felt unsafe. I

t is way better than living in the South Bronx, that’s all I can say. Decatur and Hull Avenue is on the north side, Norwood, which I have only trekked out there for the pet store.

And I’m always a short bus ride to the ritzy Riverdale for their gourmet foods.

Check out my beautiful nabe:
Walking in Bedford Park, The Bronx - Wired New York Forum

A nice real estate article:
Moving On From Post-College Mode - New York Times

Old 07-05-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I’m not a 'street person', but I’m very aware of my surroundings, have lived in New York for a very long time in Clinton, East Village, Inwood, and am not oblivious to what’s happening around me. I know my neighbors and hear a lot of gossip and assure you I would have heard about so much stuff happening, or at least seen police cars or something. I can’t speak beyond 3 years, since I’ve been here its gotten much better, and it seems I’m always meeting more educated professionals who have made the decision to move here to take advantage of lower prices, convenience, open space, etc. Some blocks are better than others, and some are really beautiful. South of Bedford Park Blvd. can get quite dicey, but not all blocks either, and I'm confident that it's improving there too. Crime statistics are down every year but I know you think that’s some kind of conspiracy between the city and NYPD. It’s a shame that as a police officer you don’t have confidence in your abilities or that of your fellow officers to control crime. I have to say that in Clinton when I lived there (maybe12 years ago) we had lots of drug activity, a dealer on the corner and lots of messed up people. I don’t see anything like where we live now. Everyone has their own opinions, but I do hope that you can find a place where you are happy and feel that you can make a difference in your profession. (Honestly, I don't mean that as an insult either.)
My "conspiracy":

The Trouble with Compstat

Part of fudging crime stats is psychological. You just honestly do not know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsval View Post
I think the previous poster was referring to 204th btwn Grand Concourse & Mosholu. That immediate area is pretty nice and clean. And it’s only two blocks away from the Bedford Park D station. There are lots of co-ops in the area so most of the buildings are well-kept. I know most of my neighbors too, so they always tell me the run around. I always come home late and walk my dogs at night, and never felt unsafe. I

t is way better than living in the South Bronx, that’s all I can say. Decatur and Hull Avenue is on the north side, Norwood, which I have only trekked out there for the pet store.

And I’m always a short bus ride to the ritzy Riverdale for their gourmet foods.

Check out my beautiful nabe:
Walking in Bedford Park, The Bronx - Wired New York Forum

A nice real estate article:
Moving On From Post-College Mode - New York Times
I'm sure real estate influenced media will guide us in the right direction. Please...

Some of those blocks photographed are complete dumps. Drug infested wastelands. Gotta love the "CRIP" graffiti in one of the photos. Hilarious. You can tell he tried to avoid it. When you get south of Bedford Park Blvd, west of the Concourse is infested with gangs. Saint James Boys, D.D.P., Bloods, Latin Kings, Crips. East of the Concourse is heavier with the drug scene. E 194/196. Decatur, Bainbridge, Marion, Valentine, ect. However you find drugs on the west side and gangs on the east as well. The difference is the major drug coridors are to the east, and the gangs hang out around Saint James Park/Morris/Kingsbridge Road a lot.

North of Beford Park Blvd like I said before, pockets. North of Mosholu, decent and bad blocks.

Last edited by Hustla718; 07-05-2007 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City