Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:50 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
How is the Van Cortlant Village Area? Specifically we are considering the Bentley apartments on Orloff Ave. When my mother lived in NYC I used to live off 242nd st right behind Manhattan College and that area was nice. This isn't too far from there so I'm hoping it's okay. We're looking for something affordable with subway access in a decent area. Having the park right there is a huge plus for us since we have a dog.
Great area
Clean,quiet,safe, convenient to subways and next to Van Cortlandt Park and the reservoir.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-11-2010 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,797 times
Default l

I lived on 184th and Concourse until I was 14, and would love to move back to the old neighborhood. It is so convenient, and the last time I visited (about a year ago), it seemed like it was changing for the better. Has anyone else gone back and felt the same?

As for the Throggs Neck section, it does seem lovely there. However, I took the train to the Pelham Bay Park stop recently and was a bit disgusted at the sight of many dead and dying pigeonsinside the station. That in itself would put me off of moving there!

Old 06-01-2011, 12:52 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
So you are saying some dead pigeons at the Pelham Bay Park train station would put you off from moving there, but you are longing to move to 184th and Concourse. That's about all I need to know from you.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABBronx View Post
I lived on 184th and Concourse until I was 14, and would love to move back to the old neighborhood. It is so convenient, and the last time I visited (about a year ago), it seemed like it was changing for the better. Has anyone else gone back and felt the same?

As for the Throggs Neck section, it does seem lovely there. However, I took the train to the Pelham Bay Park stop recently and was a bit disgusted at the sight of many dead and dying pigeonsinside the station. That in itself would put me off of moving there!
I think most of the Bronx is changing for the better. I don't know that neighborhood very well, but I do know someone who won a lottery for new house there (middle class with a subsidy from the city).

Old 05-06-2014, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,172 times
Default Gone but never forgotten....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
I know that your a cop, and hispanic, I read your posts and try to understand HOW an area could get soooo messed up. Was it the people?
The landlords? Or county/state politians that messed up the Bronx? Or a little bit of everything.

The Bronx of my youth is gone, things that I remember are all gone......
Alexanders, Fordham Hospital (lousy to begin with) Howard Johnsons
Cousins Records, Gorman's Hot Dogs........I played in St. James Park
went to The Paradise to see a movie or the RKO Fordham (gone) went for ice cream at Krums (fire/then closed)........went to school on Ryer Ave/Valentine
SSS.........when I travel down to Creston Ave. (183rd) I get a lump in my throat because I remember what used to be.

Will the Bronx, ever return to what glory it once was. Will the people have pride in there homes/pride in themselves? Will the Bronx Rise Again.

I'd like to hear your comments...............Songbird
This is the Bronx that I miss too. I loved Cousins Records & Gormans.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:41 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,770 times
This just in! High School of American Studies at Lehman College is ranked as top HS in NYS. Right next to Van Cortland Village and Bedford Park btw

Old 05-09-2014, 10:17 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
I grew up in a building across the street from Poe Park on East Kingsbridge Rd. My folks moved out in 1977 after our apartment was burglarized a couple of times and there was a homicide in the building next to ours. It only got worse from there. I have had the opportunity to return several times over the years, as recently as last spring and it was still a sh**hole. I hope it does make a comeback, many of those buildings, particularly on the Grand Concourse, were really beautiful. The architecture was amazing with vaulted ceilings and intricate moulding throughout. The park was a little oasis, and as kids we were a little spooked by the Edgar Allen Poe thing. Saint James Park on Jerome Ave was another nice retreat for us.

I wish you the best of luck in your new apartment... be careful if you wonder down the hill to Bainbridge & Briggs, there used to be some really bad dudes hanging back there.

Shusss, don't let SOBRO hear you. He will put the Rose Colored Glasses on you!

Old 05-13-2014, 06:15 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBIGRED View Post
This is the Bronx that I miss too. I loved Cousins Records & Gormans.

Yes Songbird, many of us miss it too...and so often, Mr. Sobro dismisses our recollections as if they were drug induced fantasies.

The liberal largess of the 1960s truly became the kind of global warming that unidated the Bronx with nere-do-wells, malingers, criminals and trash.

Where is the accountablity for all the failues that Liberals have caused?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:42 AM

503 posts, read 899,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxster View Post
ok guy let me set the record for bedford park im form there. BC boyz raise the crime rate alone Briggz crew (BC). HQ on 199 n Briggs. let me tell u the worst blocks in the area that u should not walk around at night if you not from there. 198 n Valentine fist n foremost 194 n Marion as of now that block has 24 hr police surveillance. Cops trade shifts watching the conner from a nypd cherry picker equipped video surveillance and sharp shooters no bs see for your self. 199 n briggs. 203 n Valentine i dare 1 of u yuppies to walk on 203 between Valentine n the concorse. mosholu pkwy is a war zone fire traded between groups from south and north side of the pkwy. Bedfrod n Decatur. 197 n briggs. 195 n Decatur. 194 n valentine. 205 n villa. 205 n perry. 206 n concourse, 198 n briggs, bainbridge n bedford, 199 n bainbridge. 199 n concosre. dont go in ps 8 park at night. i would have to say the livest conners r 198 n valentine 194 n Marion 199 n briggz n 203 n valentine avoid those cornners and you should be good and just plain and simple stay off 194 st plain n simple there is a group of 10 *****z on every Conner from concourse to webster
Repped. You're spot on, on every single block (marion,briggs) you mentioned. Absolutely spot on, I can say the same things. I haven't ventured to that block on Valentines but overall, this stretch of the hood is not safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City