Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:33 AM

67 posts, read 353,090 times

Advertisements

I forgot to say. I don't think I would ever rent in Riverdale or Throggs neck. City prices! Buying would be a better deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 11:41 AM

67 posts, read 353,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
I grew up in a building across the street from Poe Park on East Kingsbridge Rd. My folks moved out in 1977 after our apartment was burglarized a couple of times and there was a homicide in the building next to ours. It only got worse from there. I have had the opportunity to return several times over the years, as recently as last spring and it was still a sh**hole. I hope it does make a comeback, many of those buildings, particularly on the Grand Concourse, were really beautiful. The architecture was amazing with vaulted ceilings and intricate moulding throughout. The park was a little oasis, and as kids we were a little spooked by the Edgar Allen Poe thing. Saint James Park on Jerome Ave was another nice retreat for us.

I wish you the best of luck in your new apartment... be careful if you wonder down the hill to Bainbridge & Briggs, there used to be some really bad dudes hanging back there.

Yes, I've heard the stories of Poe. The house is spooky!

Songbird, Almalgamated buidings are nice... We looked into those buildings. Yeah, you're right. Maintenance was very high.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:15 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,230 times
I think most areas of Throggs Neck are quite reasonable for renting. Are you perhaps referring to Country Club? In Country Club the rents can seem a little bit steep at times ( $1,250 for a 1br) considering it is in the Bronx. Unless you are living in a brand new building which is on the water, the rent for Throggs Neck shouldn't be that much.

Riverdale though does seem a little bit pricey to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsval View Post
I forgot to say. I don't think I would ever rent in Riverdale or Throggs neck. City prices! Buying would be a better deal.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:06 AM

34,094 posts, read 47,309,800 times
some parts of the fordham area above fordham road are real dicey cause of the drug trade: decatur ave, valentine ave, banbridge ave. just be aware of your surroundings at nite. if u look like an easy target you'll get messed wit.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:47 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
some parts of the fordham area above fordham road are real dicey cause of the drug trade: decatur ave, valentine ave, banbridge ave. just be aware of your surroundings at nite. if u look like an easy target you'll get messed wit.
correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsval View Post
Hello - Does anybody know if the immediate area around Edgar Allan Poe Park is safe? The place looks nice in the day time, and very diverse. We have looked around the Bronx and it seems like this place is reasonable in value and convienent place to live.

Kingsbridge Heights (too pricey for our budget), Bedford Park (some blocks looks sketchy especially with the old run-down houses), and Van Cortland (too far from the trains).

I don't know what exactly this area is since it's between the D trains of Fordham and Kingsbridge. I really like the small Asian markets on Valentine Avenue.
Lots of people talking with no knowledge or very little of the area. Hope i'm not to late.

Poe Park and surrounding area is a high drug activity hub. E 196th Street, 194th, Valentine, Decatur, Bainbridge, ect are all stuffed full of drugs. Many 24 hour business on the major streets are drug fronts and keep the streets packed full of customers (bodegas, laundromats, even 24/7 barber shops). Drug activity in the area is similar to what it was in the 80's. Also the west side of the grand concourse, Jerome, Grand Davidson, Morris, ect is full of gangs. Saint James Boys surround Saint James Park. Latin Kings and D.D.P. as well. area is also very poor. prety much all puerto rican, dominican and some jamaicans.

Fordham-Bedford is one of the highest crime sections of the city. And yes it is significantly worse then Inwood.

Decatur Ave

Briggs Ave

As for Bedford Park, it's a dump. Kingsbirdge Heights, on a FAST decline. Already a dump. A lot of bull**** as the area gets poorer and poorer. Lots of gangs. Kingsbridge area, also declining, not as fast or in the state of Kingsbridge Heights. Norwood is also on the decline, but still some decent pockets. Gun Hill Road, Grand Concourse, east side especially is already finished.

If you want the Bronx don't get ripped off. these real estate people are out to get money anyway they can including lieing in your face. Here are some areas to look at:

-Throgs Neck (away from the pjs)
-Riverdale
-Woodlawn
-Country club
-City island
-Pelham Bay
-north east Morris Park
-Eastern Pelham Parkway.

Last edited by Hustla718; 05-20-2007 at 06:13 PM..

Old 05-22-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAPAVAT81 View Post
I grew up in Kingsbridge but I moved two blocks from Poe Park on Valentine and have been here for 6 years. Sure, there used to be gangs on St. James Park. But they caught the leaders around 9/11. The place has changed drastically. Ever since the renovated the park, they put up new lights and new trees. New landlord management has bought the old tenement buildings, and has screened their tenants and they’ve put good security (cameras, new windows). People in my building, especially the supers, look out for each other. Everyone is working class. I was applying for a one bedroom but I was rejected because of their income standards. So I had to grab a roommate to stay with me. This was six years ago, and now one bedrooms are going for 950.

About the Asian markets, that’s on East Kingsbridge. Yeah, it’s really cool and diverse. I don’t know if you notice but that whole block is mostly Muslims (West Africans, Indians, and some Albanians) and some Cambodians. I think their house of worship is down towards Webster Avenue.

Maybe there’s some drug activity. But it’s probably where the wooden houses are. I’ve noticed some Mexicans live in the basements, but I don’t look pretentious. What 24 hour stores and Laundromats? You certainly have too much time in your hands finding these old pictures of Fordham. Most of the stores close around 8pm. I have a laundry in my building. But my old roommate goes to Laundromat on the Grand Concourse (which is probably the only one around the Poe park area). It’s owned by a strict Muslim family. I guess they sell drugs……huh….

FSVAL, I think you would like the area especially if you’re hipster like me.
Please. Those shots are not that old, 2003. Most recent I can find and the blocks still look the same. Not much changes in a few years. Poe and Saint James park were recently renovated so give it time. Previously it had never been completely renovated. The gangs still exist there. Saint James Boys are back as more Mexicans move in. Latin Kings are still going strong, that gang is highly structured and hard to break.

As for the drugs, trust me on this. E 196th, 194th, Bainbridge, Valentine, Decatur. These are high crime drug blocks. There are 24/7 bodegas, laundromats, chinese food, chicken spots, in the area. They do not sell drugs (sometimes, it's usually bodegas) but they get some assistance from locals who do. The point is these businesses keep people on the street and add customers. It's a practice they have been doing on drug corridors for years. There is a LOT of drug activity in that area. It's cute you want to defend your neighborhood but facts are facts. If the op wants to deal with that bull it's up to them, don't lie to them. Area is poor, has serious crime and drug activity. These are facts. Yeah some people pay 900 for a one bedroom, its called ripped off. The smart people are the poor people moving in who pay 1/3rd that on section 8. That is why the area declined in the first place.

But what can I say, your a hipster. clueless to the neighborhoods going ons as usual.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:19 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Please. Those shots are not that old, 2003. Most recent I can find and the blocks still look the same. Not much changes in a few years. Poe and Saint James park were recently renovated so give it time. Previously it had never been completely renovated. The gangs still exist there. Saint James Boys are back as more Mexicans move in. Latin Kings are still going strong, that gang is highly structured and hard to break.

As for the drugs, trust me on this. E 196th, 194th, Bainbridge, Valentine, Decatur. These are high crime drug blocks. There are 24/7 bodegas, laundromats, chinese food, chicken spots, in the area. They do not sell drugs (sometimes, it's usually bodegas) but they get some assistance from locals who do. The point is these businesses keep people on the street and add customers. It's a practice they have been doing on drug corridors for years. There is a LOT of drug activity in that area. It's cute you want to defend your neighborhood but facts are facts. If the op wants to deal with that bull it's up to them, don't lie to them. Area is poor, has serious crime and drug activity. These are facts. Yeah some people pay 900 for a one bedroom, its called ripped off. The smart people are the poor people moving in who pay 1/3rd that on section 8. That is why the area declined in the first place.

But what can I say, your a hipster. clueless to the neighborhoods going ons as usual.
Dude be a little more respectful. She actually lives and has lived in these neighborhoods you claim to be an expert on.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Dude be a little more respectful. She actually lives and has lived in these neighborhoods you claim to be an expert on.
Please, for what? 2-3 years. That even may be a stretch.

I'm just stating facts and changes I have observed over the years. I still frequent the Fordham-Bedford area. I had family in the area until they took off for better areas. Not to mention I lived not to far south from Fordham-Bedford, height of the crack era for a number of years. I witnessed the decline of that neighborhood first hand. Plus I know plenty of cops that work the 52 and I hear enough from them.

Too bad they may be loosing impact soon. That will end any stability in the area. Things will be a whole lot more visual with a lack of footpost.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:32 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,469 times
Another great thing about that area: the old Kingsbridge Armory is going to be developed and supposedly there will be a movie theater, bookstore, shops, etc. I know the Poe Park area well, and I think you'll like it.

Areas can change pretty rapidly, esp. when the city invests funds into a neighborhood, as they are doing in the Bronx. I'm glad to see a decent police presence around here, but one thing that irks me is that they always seem to huddle in packs of 4 or more!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Another great thing about that area: the old Kingsbridge Armory is going to be developed and supposedly there will be a movie theater, bookstore, shops, etc. I know the Poe Park area well, and I think you'll like it.

Areas can change pretty rapidly, esp. when the city invests funds into a neighborhood, as they are doing in the Bronx. I'm glad to see a decent police presence around here, but one thing that irks me is that they always seem to huddle in packs of 4 or more!
It's called safety. A cop in NYC is invloved in a shooting incident almost every week of the year. Latest one was a few days ago, rookie shot at from a rooftop near the Cross Bronx. You don't want that to be you. FTU are also rooks and stick together for help.

Well if you really don't like it, get ready to say goodbye. Impact is getting the axe becuase of a severe lack of police. So no more footpost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City