Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 04:20 PM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times

Advertisements

A big problem with a lower school is that teachers have to teach to the lowest common denominator as regards the IQ and learning ability of the students.

I would expect that if a top high school is full of brilliant children who can absorb lessons more quickly and completely, the teacher can cover topics more quickly and exhaustively than if they have to slow down and teach to those slower students in the class that require more explaining and demonstrating.

A teacher at a high school full of brilliant students with high IQ, can probably cover more complicated subject matter at a more intense pace, than if most of the class can't handle that complexity or pace. Teachers can design a more aggressive lesson plans for a class full of brilliant students, and they all rise together.

On top of all that, top schools can attract the most desireable teachers.

I think it matters. Sure, a star student will eventually excel at college when educated at any high school, but it seems to me that he won't be optimized unless he is taught by the top teachers at the best school alongside other brilliant students who can keep up with the subject matter and pace.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 04-21-2024 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 04:27 PM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
Welcome to chocolate city. When the highest goal for your kids is getting a city job and milking it for all it’s worth , who really cares about merit based academics?
https://nypost.com/2024/04/20/us-new...ottery-system/
Welcome to DEI wonderland!

Old 04-21-2024, 04:53 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
A big problem with a lower school is that teachers have to teach to the lowest common denominator as regards the IQ and learning ability of the students.

I would expect that if a top high school is full of brilliant children who can absorb lessons more quickly and completely, the teacher can cover topics more quickly and exhaustively than if they have to slow down and teach to those slower students in the class that require more explaining and demonstrating.

A teacher at a high school full of brilliant students with high IQ, can probably cover more complicated subject matter at a more intense pace, than if most of the class can't handle that complexity or pace. Teachers can design a more aggressive lesson plans for a class full of brilliant students, and they all rise together.

On top of all that, top schools can attract the most desireable teachers.

I think it matters. Sure, a star student will eventually excel at college when educated at any high school, but it seems to me that he won't be optimized unless he is taught by the top teachers at the best school alongside other brilliant students who can keep up with the subject matter and pace.
That's assuming that everyone is taking the same classes in the same environments at these schools, which at least at the high school level is generally not the case. It's from this perspective that I posit that high achieving students will be fine regardless of which public high school they go to. Simply put, riff raff aren't generally in a position to disturb the teaching environment for high achievers at these public high schools; they are generally in classes with other non-high achievers. There is, thus, no divided attention, etc., that teachers provide.

Now, to be fair, I'm sure there are some NYC public high schools that don't offer a robust AP/honors curriculum (thus my statement is not as sweeping as claimed), but there are a whole lot of schools to chose from that do offer such curricula.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:03 PM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
Well, I'm no expert.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:31 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
It's all right, it's okay, she will be their boss someday.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:25 AM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
If you thought your kid could play pro ball, would your highest goal for them be to play Division III or JuCo?
I have friends I grew up with who turned down NHL/AHL contracts to go play in European pro leagues. Not everyone wants the lifestyle that comes with playing 82 regular season games, particularly those with families. It's a lot more common than you might think.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:41 AM

1,302 posts, read 330,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I have friends I grew up with who turned down NHL/AHL contracts to go play in European pro leagues. Not everyone wants the lifestyle that comes with playing 82 regular season games, particularly those with families. It's a lot more common than you might think.

NHL contracts to go play in the farm leagues maybe?

You expect us to believe that people are turning down $750K minimum NHL salaries to go play for a third of the money at best and in most cases far less?

Old 04-22-2024, 10:27 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,643 times
No surprises here at all. Of course this is originally a deBlasio policy -

Quote:
Before the pandemic, screened schools like Townsend Harris chose their own admissions criteria. In 2020, former Mayor Bill de Blasio nixed attendance, state tests and letter grades and implemented a system where students with an 85 or above were entered into the same lottery pool, in an attempt to diversify selective schools.
So a specialized school is in reality no longer a specialized school, it's a lottery school. A big sad f*cking joke on truly motivated students and a big sad f*cking joke on every NYC taxpayer.

Policy only slightly improved by current schools Chancellor Banks -

Quote:
In 2022, Chancellor David Banks, under Mayor Adams, brought back screens and narrowed the top tier of kids to those with a 94 or above, which those fighting for high-achieving students welcomed.

This is one of the main reasons that Asian-Americans are rapidly moving into the Republican party in NYC.

Old 04-22-2024, 11:13 AM

1,302 posts, read 330,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
No surprises here at all. Of course this is originally a deBlasio policy -

So a specialized school is in reality no longer a specialized school, it's a lottery school. A big sad f*cking joke on truly motivated students and a big sad f*cking joke on every NYC taxpayer.

Policy only slightly improved by current schools Chancellor Banks -

This is one of the main reasons that Asian-Americans are rapidly moving into the Republican party in NYC.
BDB was just a front man for the NYC city council. He had bigger aspirations and let the city council run policy because he thought it’d help him garner their support for a national office bid.

Same thing Adams is doing now except he’s afraid of getting primaried if he doesn’t let the city council do as they wish.

Old 04-22-2024, 11:16 AM

3,206 posts, read 1,668,265 times
DEI is evidently causing Boeing aircraft to fail and you can't allow people who don't qualify to build airplanes.

Make a note whenever you fly to chose airline that doesn't use Boeing planes. I don't want a wing or engine to fall off in the air.

The whistle blower who said Boeing is hiring based on DEI from the top down now is causing all of the QC problems recently mysterious was dead.

We all know that DEI has affected quality at work but for most workplaces that pushes paper, it's no big deal. But when you hire crucial and critical roles using DEI then you are not hiring the BEST people for the job.

Screw DEI and put the best people regardless of race. This is why China will beat the US at the technological race and the only thing we do is ban them from access to and providing technology to the West. Eventually when they surpass us in technology, the rest of the world will flip their allegiance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City