Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM

34,068 posts, read 47,260,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
If you thought your kid could play pro ball, would your highest goal for them be to play Division III or JuCo?
Thats up to them not up to me
Thats what you're not getting
Do you have kids?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM

1,280 posts, read 317,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Thats up to them not up to me
Thats what you're not getting
Do you have kids?
You really believe that? No wonder. Your job as a parent is to push your kids as high as they can go.

Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

Quote:
You really believe that? No wonder.
Do you have kids?

Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Do you have kids?
I do but how is that relevant?

Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Dont worry.
She will out do every one of those students on her own in life. In a sea of losers it wont be hard.
She will be the one to ruin the curve. The other students will not be happy about this.

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
That's a pretty disrespectful thing to say. Why the disdain towards city jobs?
I think that’s normal. Many people don’t see something “for them or their family.” It doesn’t mean they don’t want anyone to do that job, just not them.

Take a family of doctors. Everyone is a doctor of something or their goal is to become a doctor of something. Don’t be surprised if in that family they will not think highly of being a merchant.

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I think that’s normal. Many people don’t see something “for them or their family.” It doesn’t mean they don’t want anyone to do that job, just not them.

Take a family of doctors. Everyone is a doctor of something or their goal is to become a doctor of something. Don’t be surprised if in that family they will not think highly of being a merchant.
It’s not even that. It’s an objective fact. There’s nothing wrong with a city job but if as parent that’s your ultimate goal for your child then you have low goals for them. Many people working for the city didn’t think of working for the city growing up.

Let’s say you want your kid to play pro sports. Would you act as if making JuCo or division III was the ultimate goal?

I know where the mentality that a city job is the epitome of life comes from . Especially in NYC.

Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I do but how is that relevant?
If your kid tells you they want to perform municipal service, you're telling them no?

Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM

Quote:
If your kid tells you they want to perform municipal service, you're telling them no?
I’ll explain to them that they should have higher goals and that it’s a good back-up plan.

Apart from being a cop or a fireman for boys, how many kids talk about city jobs?

Military, FBI, CIA, working for the Feds etc. is very common but how many kids talk about city jobs unless they’re parents bring it up?

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM

30,625 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Four published books, debate trophies, perfect attendance and a 100 GPA weren’t enough to get a Queens eighth-grader into her dream high school.

Kristina Raevsky, 14, found out on March 7 she wasn’t accepted to Townsend Harris High School in Flushing because of a lottery system that grouped her perfect test scores with kids who scored over a 94.
On the one hand, I disagree with the reasoning behind de Blasio's changing the admissions practices around; it is racist to the core in more than one way. But on the flip side, publications and advocates like the NYP can't decry a move away from a more objective standard while also pointing out that this student has published books and debate trophies, which are not objective (but subjective) measures. Hell, perfect attendance isn't even a measure that I think should be relevant in identifying candidates for admission to a public school. On the attendance point, I don't think someone should be penalized, for instance, if they don't have a perfect attendance because they took off for a religious holiday . . . not to mention illness. And, simply put, this isn't a good category as far as I'm concerned in general as children/minors are not the ultimate deciders of their attendance even outside of things like sickness; parents will have a big say in this, too.

Quote:
But Raevsky’s attendance record and stellar GPA were no longer factors in the admissions process, which, since 2022, uses a combination of seventh-grade core subject grades, an essay and a two-minute video submission. Kids are then sorted into five groups based on their performance and then subject to a lottery.
I'm in favor of subject grades playing a role (I don't think they should be limited to "core" graded subjects either, but any grades for classes that are open to all), as well as standardized test scores. I'm against essays and video submissions, as they allow for bias toward applicants, whether consciously or unconsciously (this bias can be for or against any racial, sex, sexual orientation, etc., group). If it were up to me, we'd fill these schools overwhelmingly based on zoning (if you live in the area, you get priority, as you shouldn't have to travel significantly outside of your neighborhood to get a primary/secondary school education that the government requires), and then otherwise by lottery system, where students across the city rank schools and are assigned random numbers for admissions purposes.

If parents/children demand to attend certain high schools outside of their zone, etc., then (1) either score well enough on the SHSAT and pick one of those schools, (2) move into a certain "zoned" neighborhood under my example, or (3) pay to attend private school. The way I see things, there's often a lot of entitlement over public education.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; Yesterday at 08:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City