Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 09:38 PM

1,291 posts, read 321,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
On the one hand, I disagree with the reasoning behind de Blasio's changing the admissions practices around; it is racist to the core in more than one way. But on the flip side, publications and advocates like the NYP can't decry a move away from a more objective standard while also pointing out that this student has published books and debate trophies, which are not objective (but subjective) measures. Hell, perfect attendance isn't even a measure that I think should be relevant in identifying candidates for admission to a public school. On the attendance point, I don't think someone should be penalized, for instance, if they don't have a perfect attendance because they took off for a religious holiday . . . not to mention illness. And, simply put, this isn't a good category as far as I'm concerned in general as children/minors are not the ultimate deciders of their attendance even outside of things like sickness; parents will have a big say in this, too.

I'm in favor of subject grades playing a role (I don't think they should be limited to "core" graded subjects either, but any grades for classes that are open to all), as well as standardized test scores. I'm against essays and video submissions, as they allow for bias toward applicants, whether consciously or unconsciously (this bias can be for or against any racial, sex, sexual orientation, etc., group). If it were up to me, we'd fill these schools overwhelmingly based on zoning (if you live in the area, you get priority, as you shouldn't have to travel significantly outside of your neighborhood to get a primary/secondary school education that the government requires), and then otherwise by lottery system, where students across the city rank schools and are assigned random numbers for admissions purposes.

If parents/children demand to attend certain high schools outside of their zone, etc., then (1) either score well enough on the SHSAT and pick one of those schools, (2) move into a certain "zoned" neighborhood under my example, or (3) pay to attend private school. The way I see things, there's often a lot of entitlement over public education.
The problem is that the vast majority of NYC public schools were or have become academically atrocious. Even the schools that *aren’t so bad* are academically weak. So what you have is the parents and students who value academics competing for an increasingly smaller number of seats.

It’s become this way because NYC has chosen to cater to the weakest links in the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 10:02 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,080,376 times
She wrote a book titled "Marriage or Espionage: Read between the lines". Was it really her or her parents?

Old 04-20-2024, 10:09 PM

5,117 posts, read 4,966,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
She wrote a book titled "Marriage or Espionage: Read between the lines". Was it really her or her parents?
Good question… I don’t think it’s age-appropriate topic.

I know first-hand that some of the Asian student winners of prestigious awards based on scientific projects are puppet winners… and you know who the puppet masters are…in principle they should be considered winners by cheating…

Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
The problem is that the vast majority of NYC public schools were or have become academically atrocious. Even the schools that *aren’t so bad* are academically weak. So what you have is the parents and students who value academics competing for an increasingly smaller number of seats.

It’s become this way because NYC has chosen to cater to the weakest links in the system.
Schools and curriculum generally are not the problem. The curriculum is more or less the same (same core required classes on a path to achieve a regents diploma or advanced regents diploma, with lower achieving students being eligible for a local diploma) regardless of where you go to school as far as public schools go in NYC. What changes is the caliber of student at certain schools, with certain students better prepared than other students, etc.

Still, if you're a high achiever, you'll be fine regardless of where you attend school, especially as even the not so great public high schools generally offer honors and AP courses for high achievers among the ranks.

I attended a large public high school in Brooklyn, graduating a little over 15 years ago. High achievers like myself were able to succeed and excel academically if we took things seriously, participating in teacher "office hours" and academic review sessions, etc. I was enrolled in honors classes and different AP classes, to include AP U.S. History, statistics, and English literature . . . I planned to take AP physics, but there wasn't enough interest to hold the class during the period I wanted to take it unfortunately. I attended an Ivy League school, along with others in my classes, with plenty of others attending other decent to good to excellent colleges and universities. I write all of this to say that things haven't changed all that much since I graduated from high school in NYC.

Old Yesterday, 04:02 AM

1,057 posts, read 547,250 times
"Raevsky says she was never a 94 student.

“I can tell you from experience that the difference between a 94 and a 100 is miles apart … the 100 student is sitting there the moment something is assigned thinking, ‘How am I going to complete this assignment? Let me start planning.’

“The 94 student says, ‘Oh, I’ll come to the movies even though there’s a test two days away.’ The 100 student says, ‘I’m sorry but I can’t come. I’m studying.’"

She sounds insufferable. I bet she badgers the teachers if she gets a 99 on a test.

Old Yesterday, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Schools and curriculum generally are not the problem. The curriculum is more or less the same (same core required classes on a path to achieve a regents diploma or advanced regents diploma, with lower achieving students being eligible for a local diploma) regardless of where you go to school as far as public schools go in NYC. What changes is the caliber of student at certain schools, with certain students better prepared than other students, etc.

Still, if you're a high achiever, you'll be fine regardless of where you attend school, especially as even the not so great public high schools generally offer honors and AP courses for high achievers among the ranks.

I attended a large public high school in Brooklyn, graduating a little over 15 years ago. High achievers like myself were able to succeed and excel academically if we took things seriously, participating in teacher "office hours" and academic review sessions, etc. I was enrolled in honors classes and different AP classes, to include AP U.S. History, statistics, and English literature . . . I planned to take AP physics, but there wasn't enough interest to hold the class during the period I wanted to take it unfortunately. I attended an Ivy League school, along with others in my classes, with plenty of others attending other decent to good to excellent colleges and universities. I write all of this to say that things haven't changed all that much since I graduated from high school in NYC.
A lot has changed in 15 years in the DOE. You and I are of similar age. I also went to a large HS in Brooklyn. Did the honors and AP as well.

I, for a fact, know that the HS I attended is much, much worse today than it was when I attended.

Old Yesterday, 04:09 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,526,744 times
Life isn't always fair. Sadly this young student is learning that lesson early in life. Ruck up & move forward the best you can.

FWIW, this won't be the last disappointment experienced in this game called life.

Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM

1,057 posts, read 547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
It's about the American revolution.

"Deep in the dustiest corners of the CIA lies a well-hidden secret that will take you back to the American Revolution. Known as a great general, George Washington was also America’s first spymaster who led the Culper Spy Ring—the New York spy network that helped win the American Revolution. Follow the unsuspected Culper spy Anna Strong on her mission for American independence. When tensions run high, will Anna Strong be able to convince others that things are not always what they seem?" [Amazon description]

Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
I’ll explain to them that they should have higher goals and that it’s a good back-up plan.

Apart from being a cop or a fireman for boys, how many kids talk about city jobs?

Military, FBI, CIA, working for the Feds etc. is very common but how many kids talk about city jobs unless they’re parents bring it up?
Your kids are not going to want to share much of anything with you if you keep shutting them down like that

You have fun though

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Your kids are not going to want to share much of anything with you if you keep shutting them down like that

You have fun though
My job as a parent doesn’t place much value on whether my kids share or don’t share things with me. My job is to prepare them to be more successful and accomplished than their parents. I’m not my kids friend. I’m their parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City