Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:11 PM

8 posts, read 292,038 times

Advertisements

What do employers prefer?
For example, pretend there are 2 people with similar qualities and the only distinction between them is there GPA.
One received a 2.9 from NYU-Stern (8th in the nation for business)
versus 3.9 from the South Florida University (90th in the nation)

What is "better"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 10:09 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
most employers will never ask about your GPA. however, they might care whether you know the difference between "their" and "there." seriously.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:04 AM

361 posts, read 1,947,434 times
I had several employers ask about my GPA when I was interviewing straight out of college.

I tried to challenge myself with a difficult major at a difficult school, my GPA sank, and I got burned in the interviewing process several times. Explaining to interviewers that I specifically chose that major/college in order to challenge myself had no effect. Since then, I have read that a higher GPA is always better. It shows you enjoy what you are doing and are committed to it.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 AM

786 posts, read 1,176,747 times
Go for the high GPA out of the easier college.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:01 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by econkid89 View Post
For example, pretend there are 2 people with similar qualities and the only distinction between them is there GPA.

What is "better"?
Well, first of all, you choose a college for far more than simply the coursework and its perceived difficulty.

You go to a school because your interest is aligned with a particular part of the country, because a particular school will give you superior connections in a desired career field, and because a particular school has a defined brand in a particular area.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:03 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
my son just completed his freshman year in college and had the wake-up-call of his life! he attends one of the top universities in the country and had always been a straight A student, high honors, ap classes, athlete, the works..Classes at this university were extremely difficult for him and his gpa is not what he had envisioned. He is of the belief that in the real world, the name of the college will carry more weight than the actual gpa number. He is working hard to get the gpa back up there, but he won't be anywhere near what he was used to by graduation in 2011~

Old 05-15-2008, 10:21 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
No one cares about your GPA after your first job.

It is the connections that you build in college and that you get from your fellow alumni that will benefit your more at one college than another.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
After the first job...what shows up is that one guy went to NYU and the other went to SFU...at which point the NYU person would get some edge.

Remember though that some of the top schools give MUCH softer grades under the theory that all of their students are top-tier.

I went to U of IL and classes in the biz school it was hard not to get at least a B if you put it minor effort...which would earn you a C or D in my math classes.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:37 PM

8 posts, read 292,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
No one cares about your GPA after your first job.

It is the connections that you build in college and that you get from your fellow alumni that will benefit your more at one college than another.
Then why is it that the average salary at Boston College, NYU, Villanova have average starting salaries of $50,000+ whereas schools like South Florida, Arizona State, etc. have starting salaries of like $30,000+..

I mean if the schools are "easier", wouldn't more students get higher grades which would lead to better jobs with better pay?

What do you think

Old 05-16-2008, 08:29 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,348,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by econkid89 View Post

What is "better"?
Well it depends on the college or university. For instance, a 3.0 at Wake Forest is considered a high GPA. I graduate from Tulane with a 3.9 at Tulane, which is practically unheard of at Wake Forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities