Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 06:15 PM

337 posts, read 356,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
One thing the DEI/woke crowd love to do is to take outlier 1 in a 100 cases and try to prove that an issue is so complex and not possible to solve quickly.

If someone forges documents? Make the penalty so harsh that it dissuades most .

The issue in states like NY is that society crafts laws to protect minority positions. Not in the sense of race but in the sense of anti-social behavior. Those with anti social behavior are protected at the expense of society as a whole.
What does this have to do with DEI? No homeowner regardless of political affiliation or social policies wants a squatter in their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 06:17 PM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCareerGuy View Post
What does this have to do with DEI? No homeowner regardless of political affiliation or social policies wants a squatter in their home.
What is the percentage of homeowners to renters in NYC? Further, when it comes to homeowners and renters what are the demographic breakdowns?

You have a lot to learn, young one.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:33 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Did they not have a home alarm system to warn them of someone breaking an entry?

Old 03-31-2024, 06:50 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I don't really ever want to punch a guy in the face, but I REALLY want to punch that squatter guy in the face when he said "sue me".

These laws need changing yesterday. Squatting needs to be criminalized yesterday.

That Squatter Hunter is a national hero!
Once the corporations that are buying all the real estate start getting hurt by squatters then you will see those rights in the toilet.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Did they not have a home alarm system to warn them of someone breaking an entry?
You have professional thieves from South America particular Chile because they have strong passport so easily travel to U.S squat in homes and break in more expensive homes. They have partner with Venezuela, Colombia, Brazil use high tech tools to disable home alarms and open safes.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:19 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
One thing the DEI/woke crowd love to do is to take outlier 1 in a 100 cases and try to prove that an issue is so complex and not possible to solve quickly.

If someone forges documents? Make the penalty so harsh that it dissuades most .

The issue in states like NY is that society crafts laws to protect minority positions. Not in the sense of race but in the sense of anti-social behavior. Those with anti social behavior are protected at the expense of society as a whole.
Yeah, capital punishment and prison work so well we no longer have crime anywhere in the US./s

If you want to make the punishment so bad it will deter forgers, great. Meantime, you still have to get the squatters out of the house and if they have forged documents, how long do you think it will take to find that out? If the homeowner is standing there ready to walk back in her house, will the police be able to quickly tell the difference between her documents and those of the squatter? That's all I'm saying.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:38 PM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Yeah, capital punishment and prison work so well we no longer have crime anywhere in the US./s

If you want to make the punishment so bad it will deter forgers, great. Meantime, you still have to get the squatters out of the house and if they have forged documents, how long do you think it will take to find that out? If the homeowner is standing there ready to walk back in her house, will the police be able to quickly tell the difference between her documents and those of the squatter? That's all I'm saying.
Classic example of what I just mentioned?

Where did I mention capital punishment? The punishment for forging in order to squat is no effectively zero. There is no punishment apart from getting kicked out for trespassing.

Secondly, your DEI/ woke thought process assumes that there should be a right to stay in someone’s property even if you have a valid lease but choose not to pay rent.

I am born, raised, and still here in NYC. I never heard of a squatting incident until this year. Why? I’m sure that back in the day things like this happened from time to time. You know what the cops did? They simply threw the scumbags out or arrested them.

The difference nowadays is that the city protects the anti-social minority at the expense of the law abiding majority.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:36 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It will take New York virtually a revolution to change the laws in a matter of similar to Georgia, Florida, and Texas. As far as the courts goes, they are more than dysfunctional; they are nonfunctional.
You got THAT right!

Old 04-01-2024, 07:16 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:

Where did I mention capital punishment? The punishment for forging in order to squat is no effectively zero. There is no punishment apart from getting kicked out for trespassing.

Secondly, your DEI/ woke thought process assumes that there should be a right to stay in someone’s property even if you have a valid lease but choose not to pay rent.

I am born, raised, and still here in NYC. I never heard of a squatting incident until this year. Why? I’m sure that back in the day things like this happened from time to time. You know what the cops did? They simply threw the scumbags out or arrested them.

The difference nowadays is that the city protects the anti-social minority at the expense of the law abiding majority.
Squatters rights always existed just wasn't exploited enough to become an issue. The origin of squatter laws is to protect the adult children, family relative, friend, or ex-convict after they over-stayed looking for a place to live giving them additional time to find their own stay but because how expensive rents have gotten.

I'm 100% against these rights but they have their place because the government just gotten too much involved with regulating our personal properties and rights.

These laws were made decades ago but now they are exploited because people aren't so simple and honorable as they were back then.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:24 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:

Well, you did say harsh punishment. I guess you meant a slap on the wrist.

And I'll admit, I don't even know what a DEI/woke thought process is. I never said anyone should be allowed to squat in someone else's house and if you'd read my last few posts here, you'd see that. I think you're the one doing the assuming here.

Just the same, if you change the laws so that squatters get kicked out the instant they're found, it won't take long until you have a landlord who wants to raise rent on an apartment someone is renting and uses the same law to kick out the renter, regardless of a contract or lease.

I just saw a case where the homeowner proved his house belonged to him and the police kicked those squatters out. In the case mentioned in this thread, there's a lot more to the story. A fake real estate agent "sold" the owner's house to someone who then sublet it to the "squatters".

This isn't the first time this has happened. A lot of people get fooled by fake agents who break into and rekey empty houses and then actually show the apartment or house around to several people, gaining deposits and rents that way. No one finds out until moving day.

Sure, you can go sue everyone involved but in the meantime, you're out money and if anti-squatting laws get passed, you're also out a place to live. I am not for squatters at all. But I do realize that when fraud and mix ups occur, it will take time to sort through it and if people get thrown out of a house they're legally not supposed to be in, then you have another empty house and also people who may have been legitimately renting it. The problem is, how do you protect the legitimate renter and still prosecute and get rid of the squatter without it taking 6 month to a year and having everyone lose thousands of dollars in the meantime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City