Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 06:08 PM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
The squatter is illegally subletting space in the house. So where is the building department?

Hopefully he gets one in the back of his head one night. Problem solved.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/20/us-new...resident-says/
The politicians love it to be this way. They want the average person to be afraid and subjugate themselves to their rule. Half of the population who rely on various handouts already subjugate themselves to the government. Now they're coming after the other half which is self sufficient.

This is just a public example and how it works in many broken countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 06:47 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
I was reading this story and the squatters don't even have to be there 30 days. They know the law and they know what to say. So if you go to the grocery store and come home to someone in your house, then if you call the cops and that person says they've been there 30 days, you're screwed. You'll be standing there with groceries and no way to get the squatter out.

What I don't understand is why the squatters can stay there without showing a legal lease or tenant agreement. I mean, if I have the papers showing I own the house, that should be it in a nutshell. But in this case the squatter wasn't even asked to show anything by the cops and couldn't produce a lease on paper when the reporter asked him.

And since the squatter obviously broke in, I don't understand why the owner can't break the door down as well. Then when the police show up, the owner says she's been living there and produces her paperwork to show she owns the house and tells the cops the guy pushed into her house, which he did when he came back with his friend.

I still wish I had my Doberman. I'd rent him out. You know, stand outside the house and tell the squatters they have 10 minutes to gather their stuff and get out, or the dog is going in.

If I come home to someone squatting in my house, to hell with the courts. I'm going to come back and break every window and take the doors off the hinges. Then I'm going to move in and threaten to set the place on fire. It would be cheaper by far than doing things the legal way. If the cops get called, hey, this is my house and I'm doing renovations. If the squatters can lie, so can I.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:41 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
It’s very much a situation dependent on how it’s handled at the start. From busting in and creating a self-defense situation where you just dirt the idiots to using the statutes to your own advantage. Regardless, it’s easy to deal with of you know what to do.

And yes, I mean it. If I come home to someone in my house they most likely won’t leave alive. Afterwards I’ll take a breath and say what needs to be said. Easy peasy.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-20-2024, 10:11 PM

56 posts, read 34,223 times
The only solution and way to reverse this law is when homeowners take issues into their own hands and physically start getting rid of these squatters by violent means.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:04 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
The migrants are now posting videos on how to take advantage of the situation:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-rights.html

Old 03-21-2024, 10:44 AM

1,057 posts, read 541,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post

Wow. Well it was only a matter of time.

We live in a coop building and for the first time in 10+ years of living here we got an email from the board saying that someone had come in the building and had tried the door handle on every door on te first floor before he was caught and thrown out by a resident

It could have been "just" theft that he was going for but also could have been squatting

Old 03-21-2024, 11:19 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
Wow. Well it was only a matter of time.

We live in a coop building and for the first time in 10+ years of living here we got an email from the board saying that someone had come in the building and had tried the door handle on every door on te first floor before he was caught and thrown out by a resident

It could have been "just" theft that he was going for but also could have been squatting
It's a good thing that they make front doors with locks

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-21-2024, 11:55 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicSoundsBetterWithYou View Post
The only solution and way to reverse this law is when homeowners take issues into their own hands and physically start getting rid of these squatters by violent means.
Once my mom hired a bunch of day laborers from the local fruit store to scare off a squatter. It worked! They didn't actually beat up the guy. Just threatening bodily harm was enough. Lucky for my mom, he was an amateur squatter. A more seasoned one is tougher to get rid of, I suspect.

She also heard other landowners resorting to playing loud music 24/7 and having boisterous parties to get rid of a squatter.

I honestly don't know how squatters rights came into being. It makes absolutely no sense to me. They're squatting on someone else's property for free while the owner is paying property tax, water and utility bills, home insurance and maintenance fees. And the only thing the owner can do is hire a lawyer and wait for housing court (which are notoriously backed up) to sort it all out? smh

I can only imagine the nightmare scenarios of sub-leasing.

The caveat. Be careful who you allow into your property. And think twice about becoming a landlord. It's not for the faint of heart.

Old 03-21-2024, 11:57 AM

2,609 posts, read 1,205,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post

NYC becoming the real life Gotham City more and more every day.

Old 03-21-2024, 12:14 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Good, let the properties get all bought and absorb by developers and gentrification will accelerate. People think that this kind of stuff didn't happen in the past when Williamsburg was crime infested and tons of poor folks that wouldn't leave. It took time for developers to clear the inhabitants of the crummy areas for them to take over private owned slums and convert them to big high rises. Even if the private owners don't move out, eventually they will get taxed and fined for not maintaining their buildings and get pushed to sell. It's all inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City