Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 11:50 AM

16,088 posts, read 6,860,239 times

Advertisements

Opinion:

Governor DeSantis signed Legislation that ends Squatter Scams.

Property owners are aware. You step away from your home more thsn 30 days only to return
to find people living in your home that do not belong there and you have no choice but to wait it out in court.

Not any more in Florida at least.

This is going to spread like wild fire real fast and deservingly so.
My home is my home whether I occupy it or let it sit empty.

I'm sure N.Y. and California property owners are going after politicians real soon.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 06:28 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
See my posts in a similar thread. There is a bill (actually two bills) pending for vote of the NY State Assembly and the Senate, to criminalize squatting. It apparently has bipartisan support, so there is some hope. But there is also resistance to it, based on "housing is the human right". A similar bill was already considered in Albany 10 years ago, and it failed to pass.

I am not so optimistic about Florida approach spreading like wildfire. It looks to me as though it may have a better chance to pass in NY now than in the past, but I don't think anyone is even thinking of proposing something like that in California. I'm being told there are some nonprofits in CA that give the homeless people addresses of vacant properties (I know a property owner who claims to be a victim of it, ie, that a large group of squatters were directed by a local nonprofit organization into her property which was under renovation).

Old 03-28-2024, 09:05 PM

1,426 posts, read 727,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:

Governor DeSantis signed Legislation that ends Squatter Scams.

Property owners are aware. You step away from your home more thsn 30 days only to return
to find people living in your home that do not belong there and you have no choice but to wait it out in court.

Not any more in Florida at least.

This is going to spread like wild fire real fast and deservingly so.
My home is my home whether I occupy it or let it sit empty.

I'm sure N.Y. and California property owners are going after politicians real soon.

What say you?
New York isn't Florida and it seems like whatever DeSantis does, NY politicians do the opposite.

Old 03-29-2024, 06:00 AM

16,088 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Opinion:

Update. Only a day after Florida Squatting Legislation.

Wouldn't you know it.

N.Y.C. is reconsidering a current squatting bill. N.J. is working on proposing a squatting bill
and Pa is working on a bill that gives tenants 5 days to get out if found convicted of violent crimes,
drug charges, unlawful entry and human trafficking to name some.

This subject has taken on a life of it's own. I'm praying the momentum continues.

American homeowners have had enough. The day for squatting is over.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:50 AM

1,302 posts, read 337,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
See my posts in a similar thread. There is a bill (actually two bills) pending for vote of the NY State Assembly and the Senate, to criminalize squatting. It apparently has bipartisan support, so there is some hope. But there is also resistance to it, based on "housing is the human right". A similar bill was already considered in Albany 10 years ago, and it failed to pass.

I am not so optimistic about Florida approach spreading like wildfire. It looks to me as though it may have a better chance to pass in NY now than in the past, but I don't think anyone is even thinking of proposing something like that in California. I'm being told there are some nonprofits in CA that give the homeless people addresses of vacant properties (I know a property owner who claims to be a victim of it, ie, that a large group of squatters were directed by a local nonprofit organization into her property which was under renovation).
Same bill failed 10 years ago and you think it has a chance to pass in today’s political era in NY? If it didn’t pass then, it certainly won’t pass now when the black supremacists control the state assembly.

This is a perfect example of how many normal people miscalculate exactly how dire the situation is and will be.

Old 03-29-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
Same bill failed 10 years ago and you think it has a chance to pass in today’s political era in NY? If it didn’t pass then, it certainly won’t pass now when the black supremacists control the state assembly.

This is a perfect example of how many normal people miscalculate exactly how dire the situation is and will be.

We'll see. The problem is being much more discussed in the media than it was 10 years ago, and nobody has made a public argument specifically against this new measure so far.

Last edited by elnrgby; 03-29-2024 at 09:53 AM..

Old 04-18-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post

Update: two politicians have proposed additional anti-squatting measures in NYC. All the eight members of the Assembly and Senate cited in this link (who support the measure) are members of the ruling majority in NY (ie, Democrats), so I really do think the bill has a chance this time. What can in fact be said in the opposition to the bill? That anyone can just help themselves to anything other people own if the owner is not actively using it at the moment? That would erase the concept of ownership, so I don't think it can be defended. Here is the link:

https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/pr...er-nys-housing

Old 04-18-2024, 11:16 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,359,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:

Update. Only a day after Florida Squatting Legislation.

Wouldn't you know it.

N.Y.C. is reconsidering a current squatting bill. N.J. is working on proposing a squatting bill
and Pa is working on a bill that gives tenants 5 days to get out if found convicted of violent crimes,
drug charges, unlawful entry and human trafficking to name some.

This subject has taken on a life of it's own. I'm praying the momentum continues.

American homeowners have had enough. The day for squatting is over.
WOW!! There is a god!

Old 04-18-2024, 12:14 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,552,321 times
Every state needs to have a law against squatting. We used to travel in our RV for a few months and I can’t imagine coming home to strangers living there. Ugh!!

Old 04-18-2024, 12:57 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,679,883 times
Squatters are those who just take advantage of loopholes and that legislations are added to ensure people weren't evicted without some review and due to backups in the legal system they can keep abusing those delays.

In the past it's a minor problem when some handicap or mentally retarded person could not stay anywhere but now it's people who have jobs and businesses running these exploits. Democrats got away with passing these laws to protect tenants and using them to get elected due to the woke mobs supporting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City