Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 06:21 PM

16,088 posts, read 6,860,239 times

Advertisements

Call your local precinct and see if you can register your house with them prior to going on vacation.
You are simply letting the police know that you are going away for a few months and the house will be empty.
You want to return to the same empty house once the vacation is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 08:48 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,619 times
Squatters aren't that big a problem. It's actually pretty rare, and I'm glad they're fixing it, but they really need to address deadbeat tenants which would not be covered under any squatter laws.

Old 04-26-2024, 01:48 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
See my posts in a similar thread. There is a bill (actually two bills) pending for vote of the NY State Assembly and the Senate, to criminalize squatting. It apparently has bipartisan support, so there is some hope. But there is also resistance to it, based on "housing is the human right". A similar bill was already considered in Albany 10 years ago, and it failed to pass.

I am not so optimistic about Florida approach spreading like wildfire. It looks to me as though it may have a better chance to pass in NY now than in the past, but I don't think anyone is even thinking of proposing something like that in California. I'm being told there are some nonprofits in CA that give the homeless people addresses of vacant properties (I know a property owner who claims to be a victim of it, ie, that a large group of squatters were directed by a local nonprofit organization into her property which was under renovation).

Even for California that is absurd. 'Vacant' still means that there is a legitimate owner of the property, especially a property under renovation. Even 'abandoned' properties have an owner somewhere.

I was outside yesterday talking to a neighbor. I told him I locked my front door 'to keep squatters out' as a little joke. Maybe it's not a joke anymore.

Old 04-26-2024, 04:34 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
Why was there ever a squatters law in the first place? Who came up with that bright idea?

Like the above poster had stated, even a vacant house has an owner.
When my mother died, I'd go to the house on weekends to do work on it so all week it was vacant.

I couldn't even imagine going there on a Saturday morning only to find people living there.
Of course I'd go to jail for murder, but in all sensibility, there should be no such thing as a squatters rights.
The the real homeowner has to spend thousands of dollars on legal fees that the owner will never get back.

It is not your home, you don't own it, you don't rent it, you didn't inherit it, you basically broke in to get inside, so in my mind, you ain't got no rights.

NY better change the laws regarding squatters.

Old 04-26-2024, 05:00 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Why was there ever a squatters law in the first place? Who came up with that bright idea?

Like the above poster had stated, even a vacant house has an owner.
When my mother died, I'd go to the house on weekends to do work on it so all week it was vacant.

I couldn't even imagine going there on a Saturday morning only to find people living there.
Of course I'd go to jail for murder, but in all sensibility, there should be no such thing as a squatters rights.
The the real homeowner has to spend thousands of dollars on legal fees that the owner will never get back.

It is not your home, you don't own it, you don't rent it, you didn't inherit it, you basically broke in to get inside, so in my mind, you ain't got no rights.

NY better change the laws regarding squatters.

I'm just guessing but maybe NY and other states squatters laws go back to the days of the farmers. Disputes over property boundaries or land titles. Who knows?

Old Today, 02:24 PM

1,067 posts, read 547,349 times
https://nypost.com/2024/04/24/us-new...1m-home-heist/

The “optics” of a homeowner handcuffed after changing the locks on a squatter in her Queens home worth $1 million pushed New York lawmakers to enact a harsh new law to protect property owners, a real estate attorney told Fox News Digital.

A portion of New York’s 2024 state budget agreement, signed into law by Gov. Kathy Hochul Monday, specifically excludes squatters from tenant protections under state law.

The language defines a squatter as someone staying on a property without permission from its owner or the owner’s representative.

This wording, lawmakers said, will make it easier for police to intervene in squatting cases, sparing homeowners months or even years in housing court.

Old Today, 04:42 PM

9,109 posts, read 6,327,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
https://nypost.com/2024/04/24/us-new...1m-home-heist/

The “optics” of a homeowner handcuffed after changing the locks on a squatter in her Queens home worth $1 million pushed New York lawmakers to enact a harsh new law to protect property owners, a real estate attorney told Fox News Digital.

A portion of New York’s 2024 state budget agreement, signed into law by Gov. Kathy Hochul Monday, specifically excludes squatters from tenant protections under state law.

The language defines a squatter as someone staying on a property without permission from its owner or the owner’s representative.

This wording, lawmakers said, will make it easier for police to intervene in squatting cases, sparing homeowners months or even years in housing court.
Well the "optics" of a homeowner being taken away in handcuffs for changing the locks on a property she owned (that was not even a legitimate rental property) cast New York in a very bad light to the rest of the country. Perhaps Hochul has designs on higher office and needs to massage her image beyond New York's borders?

Old Today, 07:19 PM

1,067 posts, read 547,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Well the "optics" of a homeowner being taken away in handcuffs for changing the locks on a property she owned (that was not even a legitimate rental property) cast New York in a very bad light to the rest of the country. Perhaps Hochul has designs on higher office and needs to massage her image beyond New York's borders?
Well, maybe. That would be nice if she would move on from NY and the rest of the country can then put up with her instead of just us.

In some ways I don't really care what it was that made them support the new anti-squatter law. Just happy it exists. A bit late, but still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City