Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 12:45 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Sure, you can go sue everyone involved but in the meantime, you're out money and if anti-squatting laws get passed, you're also out a place to live. I am not for squatters at all. But I do realize that when fraud and mix ups occur, it will take time to sort through it and if people get thrown out of a house they're legally not supposed to be in, then you have another empty house and also people who may have been legitimately renting it. The problem is, how do you protect the legitimate renter and still prosecute and get rid of the squatter without it taking 6 month to a year and having everyone lose thousands of dollars in the meantime?
Speed up and fund the courts. Put in smart judges who are willing to work. But that takes money, not rhetoric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 01:31 PM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Squatters rights always existed just wasn't exploited enough to become an issue. The origin of squatter laws is to protect the adult children, family relative, friend, or ex-convict after they over-stayed looking for a place to live giving them additional time to find their own stay but because how expensive rents have gotten.

I'm 100% against these rights but they have their place because the government just gotten too much involved with regulating our personal properties and rights.

These laws were made decades ago but now they are exploited because people aren't so simple and honorable as they were back then.
This isn’t really about squatters rights. That’s just what the media uses to describe the situation. This is occurring because of added tenant protections instituted in 2019 (?).

People weren’t much better back in the day. It’s just that the local authorities didn’t allow stuff like this to go on.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:10 AM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times
Squatters need to be evicted from this world with a .45 to the temple.

Squatters in New York state can claim a legal right to remain on a property without the owner’s permission after 10 years of living there. However, in New York City, a person only needs to be on the property for 30 days to claim squatter’s rights.

Last edited by Tiredofnyclife; 04-03-2024 at 07:19 AM..

Old 04-04-2024, 10:53 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Squatters need to be evicted from this world with a .45 to the temple.

Squatters in New York state can claim a legal right to remain on a property without the owner’s permission after 10 years of living there. However, in New York City, a person only needs to be on the property for 30 days to claim squatter’s rights.

this is pure BS thru and thur.

how squatters have any rights beats the hell out of me.
when my mom died the house was empty and id go during the weekend to prep for sale.
I think if a squatter was in my house Id be in jail for murder, because I think I'd have killed them, or burn the house down.

how they have any rights is completely mind boggling.

when and why did squatters get rights.

maybe I can pick a house I like, wait for the owners to leave for work, break in and when they come home tell them I'm a squatter, I like your house better than mine, so get out, I've been here 30 days.

wonder how that wold fly?

Last edited by nightcrawler; 04-04-2024 at 11:09 AM..

Old 04-04-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

when my mom died the house was empty and id go during the weekend to prep for sale.
I think if a squatter was in my house Id be in jail for murder, because I think I'd have killed them, or burn the house down.

maybe I can pick a house I like, wait for the owners to leave for work, break in and when they come home tell them I'm a squatter, I like your house better than mine, so get out, I've been here 30 days.

wonder how that wold fly?
Welcome to the People's Republic of New York.

Old 04-04-2024, 03:32 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

wonder how that would fly?
Bingo!!

Old 04-04-2024, 08:14 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Speed up and fund the courts. Put in smart judges who are willing to work. But that takes money, not rhetoric.
Bingo!

Old 04-05-2024, 06:58 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
That's that...

https://nypost.com/2024/04/05/us-new...k-queens-home/

Old 04-05-2024, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Some Court in the People's Republic of New York will stay it.

Old 04-07-2024, 09:04 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
A large part of the reason NYC is so "pro tenant," is that the owners/landlords charge outrageously high rents historically, and unless the apartment or house is rent controlled or rent stabilized, tenants can easily fall victim to over charging, late fee after late fee, and bullying by the landlord.

This clip and example from the OP is kinda crazy, and the whole law is a bit nutty when you think that an owner can be arrested for trying to access their own space. And in this situation, I would agree with the owner--it's her house and the squatters need to leave.

But this is a loophole in the law, and I think if this were changed to be pro landlord/owner, it would increase homelessness in this city, sadly, even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City