Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:19 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,780,399 times

Advertisements

I just called the county police to find out if people can just shoot guns in their backyard, and they can! My neighbor, the same one that can't take care of the dogs is shooting guns right off his porch. I can't believe there are no laws, rules, guidelines etc...How does the police know a person isn't killing someone? This is in Conway, outside city limits and I guess anything goes. Might not be a great trade for those extra low taxes.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:07 PM

44 posts, read 115,833 times
LOL, I hear guns going off all the time in my neighborhood (in NH). I guess it won't be any different when I move south, huh?

Old 11-10-2009, 04:20 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,892 times
Yep, in MI I've heard em go off by my house and 1 bullet even hit our house with my wife and the neighbor's kids outside just feet from the bullet's path!!! The police made a report, "had a talk with the kids (responsible)" and that was it. I got to replace the siding on my house as the parents of these punks would do nothing. I guess the apple didn't fall far from that tree.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:21 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,515 times
Rapture, maybe try checking with the game warden. In most states it would all depend on how far his house (or he when shooting) is away from the neighbors.

South Carolina Department of Natural Resources

Right or wrong I think a lot of time police don't want to get involved in people shooting guns on their own property because you can legally do that while hunting (I once had someone shoot a hole in my house in Pennsylvania). If they are too close to the neighboring homes though the game warden would be the one to call.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:24 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,515 times
Oh my goodness TNKY that is horrible

Old 11-11-2009, 05:05 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Oh my goodness TNKY that is horrible
Yes, the kids (after first saying it wasn't them, and then admitting it) told police they were trying to shot birds off the neighbor's bird feeder. Can you say "I might be a redneck if..."

I just thank the good Lord my wife or the neighbor kids weren't hit. I guess the bullet missed my wife by a couple feet.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:41 AM

882 posts, read 3,538,499 times
It's a shame that we can't pick our neighbors, isn't it? Rapture, sorry to hear that yours is a piece of work...

The fact that shooting a weapon on one's property outside of city limits is something that is pretty much universal in every area I've ever lived. When you live in what is a "rural area" (even if they aren't all that "rural") the zoning laws, etc are weakened considerably.

I know this doesn't apply to zoning laws, but you get the point. In a denser area, I definitely can see this as being a problem, but when homes are not close to one another, I could argue that there is no issue in the discharge of a weapon... in a safe manner, obviously. Reckless discharge is another issue...

Old 11-12-2009, 11:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I just called the county police to find out if people can just shoot guns in their backyard, and they can! My neighbor, the same one that can't take care of the dogs is shooting guns right off his porch. I can't believe there are no laws, rules, guidelines etc...How does the police know a person isn't killing someone? This is in Conway, outside city limits and I guess anything goes. Might not be a great trade for those extra low taxes.

Sounds like you are in Horry County, near Conway, as opposed to being in Conway.

This sort of thing happens all the time in unincorporated county land, not just in your area, not just in South Carolina.

Cities typically have things like recycling, stormwater maintenance, sidewalks, and urban safety regulations. These things cost money to build, maintain, and enforce as the case may be.

Lots of people want the taxes of country life, but they want the rules, regulations, and amenities of city life. Somehow people forget this whenever annexation voting comes around (We got all the services we need!), or whenever they go to purchase property. The results you are suffering from are the direct results of this problem.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:09 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,780,399 times
Thanks for your responses. I guess the fact I've never lived in a rural area has a lot to do with my surprise. Even if they can do it, you would think they would take other peoples lives and comfort into consideration but there I go again thinking people care about others. I just found out they are planning to move in the next year, hopefully this is true and someone with more consideration moves in.

For those looking to move outside city limits in Conway or other rural towns, please be warned about this issue. In addition; people park on their yards, don't cut their grass, have dirt driveways that blow up on your house, tie dogs to trees, leave trash around the exterior (and I'm sure interior) of their house and other things you may not be use to. I'm not saying all of Conway is like this because it is not. There are a lot of nice sub-divisions and downtown areas or streets that are beautiful. I just know a lot of people move here (like I did) from a metropolitan area and are not use to seeing or living aound things mentioned and maybe not everyone minds this.

Like rubberfactory said, I guess you can't have country taxes and then rules and regulations of city life. Good point!

Old 11-15-2009, 03:14 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,877,053 times
There are some positive aspects of living in an incorporated town or a community with a home owners regime. I live in the unincorporated area of Pawleys Island, which has several planned communities. As far as I know, they all forbid the firing of weapons in their confines. The Town of Pawleys Island has a similar ordinance.

There are several state laws regarding the firing of weapons, one of which is firing a weapon at a house, a felony. You may not fire a gun within a certain distance of a public road, school or church.

You can peruse the laws regarding firearms here: S.C. Code of Laws Title 16 Chapter 23 Offenses Involving Weapons - www.scstatehouse.gov-LPITS (http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area