Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:32 PM

819 posts, read 1,594,444 times

Advertisements

Hey, join one of those shag clubs and you'll be having the time of your life. Go to the 2001 club and met lots of new people. Have fun!

Old 10-12-2009, 03:43 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,676,367 times
Default Great idea!

Go out and dance away your troubles! (works for me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
Hey, join one of those shag clubs and you'll be having the time of your life. Go to the 2001 club and met lots of new people. Have fun!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:40 AM

245 posts, read 762,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post

Unfortunate for me, that my first impression of NC within 4 hours was a rude incredibly stupid clerk.
I am sure it is similar to the multiple times outside the South I have been asked....you need those in a size 8...really you guys wear shoes?
Why would you need a $$$$ purse?where would you carry it?
did you marry your cousin? wow you have all your teeth? do you live in a trailer? why do you talk like that? Talk some more. You went to college?
you know about "fancy pants brand"? does you husband work? do you ride a horse to work? you have grocery stores...you don't just kill everything you need?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:21 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,687,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
I'm not going to jump into the fray here, but since you mentioned no museums in MB I will mention that there actually are some museums in the MB area, if not MB itself.

There is an art museum near the Springmaid Pier on the southern end of the city. There is an Horry County Museum in Conway. There is a Rice Planter's Museum in Georgetown. I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I have heard of. I've never been to any of them, so I can't offer details. I HAVE been to the Children's Museum near Cap'n Hook's Mini Golf and that was awesome, but unless you're under the age of 10 or have someone with you who is I doubt it's for you.

I have friends that I met on another message board who have moved from N.E. to MB and they absolutely love it. I also have a friend from that message board who moved from PA and is in the health care field and she loves it there too.

I hope you are able to find (or make) your peace, and if you do find that all those little things piling up are just too much to overcome, then I hope you are able to find a place that does suit you, without winter.
I agree with Dawne. A few things to note are...
The art Museum down by the Springmaid pier is very nice.
There is a Boone Plantation just before arriving in Charleston. Time spent visiting Charleston is full of history and interest.
A huge car show and a wonderful post card show come into the area in the winter months.

If you like golf join up at the senior center and get some good discounts.

I have spent my winters in Myrtle Beach for the last eight years.
Funny but in all that time no one asked me what church I attended.
I have to say also that the only Pig Roast I went to was in New Jersey and we didn't care for the likes of it either. Least not judge me by the like or dislike of a Pig feast.....

I have to also say that when I had double pneumonia the office I went to was more through then I have had up North here. Right in the office area was the Xray machine...no running all over town for one. The blood work was done there also. We found my walking pneumonia without me having to trudge off to a Xray place or a place which draws blood.

We have loved the fact that in the winters ( the last one in MB not being the best)we can walk out at Broadway at the Beach, or Barefoot landing......without having such bitter cold.
We love no snow shoveling also...
I haven't come across any unfriendly people. In fact one sales lady in a clothing store had our ear for a good hour. Just a doll she was.
We chat with the restaurant owner and he comes out now to see us when we arrive.

The golfing friends have been a pure delight.

Now, I do know that people complain of the hospital care. I have to say they were lovely to me when we had an emergency there.
Maybe the poster is missing the "feel"of New England. There is a different type of environment that makes for that certain "feel".....

Funny, but when we have gone to Dollys Dixie Stampede we say which side should we sit on......The North because our residence is there.....or South because we are there in the winters. I let the kids decide. But, I did sit on the South side once. Its just for fun and enjoyment. The four kids we took there never let out a peep, they loved the show. ( we were greatly surprised)

People have told me ....You have a Jersey accent. I'm still looking for it....
I don't care if they tell me. We have a giggle over it.
I hope things improve your way.
Of course you want to have a enjoyable living environment, as we all do.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:59 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,698,371 times
Summering mentioned this past winter. We were in MB from just after Christmas until just after New Year's. We went to Broadway at the Beach for the fireworks New Year's Eve and darn near froze! New Year's Day we played mini golf at Jurassic Golf, near the airport, and wore our winter coats!! I'm glad we didn't foolishly leave them at home. I know that's not the norm but hey, we went south to get warm!!

It reminds me of the time we went to Gatlinburg, TN for New Year's and it snowed! My BIL and SIL, who had come up from Florida to meet us there, were thrilled - we were NOT. LOL! They actually closed Dollywood on New Year's Eve because of all the ice on the ground.

My husband and I would personally love to move to MB some day. We have school-age kids so we'd probably land around Socastee or Forestbrook for the schools. No subdivisions with restrictions for us - we want our boat and motor home in our yard! (Hubby says if we're moving south he wants to be able to put his car up on blocks in the front yard if he feels like it - eyeroll!) We toured the area with a wonderful realtor a couple years ago and he pointed out beautiful neighborhoods where we could have what we wanted and be very happy. He also pointed out his personal doctor, dentist, and the local recycling center. So - some day . . .

Old 10-13-2009, 02:06 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,142,044 times
Quote:
Summering mentioned this past winter. We were in MB from just after Christmas until just after New Year's. We went to Broadway at the Beach for the fireworks New Year's Eve and darn near froze! New Year's Day we played mini golf at Jurassic Golf, near the airport, and wore our winter coats!! I'm glad we didn't foolishly leave them at home. I know that's not the norm but hey, we went south to get warm!!

It reminds me of the time we went to Gatlinburg, TN for New Year's and it snowed! My BIL and SIL, who had come up from Florida to meet us there, were thrilled - we were NOT. LOL! They actually closed Dollywood on New Year's Eve because of all the ice on the ground.

My husband and I would personally love to move to MB some day. We have school-age kids so we'd probably land around Socastee or Forestbrook for the schools. No subdivisions with restrictions for us - we want our boat and motor home in our yard! (Hubby says if we're moving south he wants to be able to put his car up on blocks in the front yard if he feels like it - eyeroll!) We toured the area with a wonderful realtor a couple years ago and he pointed out beautiful neighborhoods where we could have what we wanted and be very happy. He also pointed out his personal doctor, dentist, and the local recycling center. So - some day . . .

As you have seen, it still gets chilly in the winter, even in the south. You would have to go to S.Florida to be hot in the winter. Did you really think it would be warm in Tennessee?

As for the boat/motorhome thing, that's interesting that you admit that freely. Sooooooo happy for an HOA neighborhood! No eyesores like that!!!

Old 10-13-2009, 02:33 PM

Default Love your attitude!

I love how you seem to make the best of what you get, Dawne. Especially playing mini-golf in your winter coats!

This will be my first winter in SC, so I'm not sure what to expect as far as weather. Some people on this forum said that all you need as for a winter coat is a hoodie sweat-shirt type thing......

So far, fall has been interesting - in that on one level it feels like it's fall: the days are shorter; the crowds have thinned; the neighborhood children are riding the school bus, etc. But in so many other ways, at least to me, it still looks like summer: great beach days; green leaves on most of the trees; people swimming in the surf, etc.

Anyway, I'm glad I kept my favorite winter coats, just in case!

Quote:

Old 10-13-2009, 04:16 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,687,329 times
vrexy.......Your first winter in Myrtle Beach, congratulations!
I have to say out of all the eight or nine winters there.......the last one was quite "cold"
Yes, lucky I did have my winter coat. Many winters it sat in the closet and I swore I wouldn't bring it back.
So if we're all lucky........It will be like that very first one I had ( I think it was '97) when it was just about 70 each day. It was awesome.
I can say that the guys did golf every week in Myrtle. The weather was fine for that........You can hardly do that back north at all.
There is always beautiful walking days, and many sunny beach days to enjoy.
January and Feb. will be much quieter........and thats nice.
I hope to be in the surf in March......we do usually get a chance to do that.......but, the water is still quite cold.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:37 PM

Default Thanks, Summering!

I appreciate your response and have enjoyed reading your posts on this forum. Lots of good information and you seem to be one of the people who sees the good things wherever you look!

I tried to rep you, but.......well, you know! Gotta spread it for some strange reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
vrexy.......Your first winter in Myrtle Beach, congratulations!
I have to say out of all the eight or nine winters there.......the last one was quite "cold"
Yes, lucky I did have my winter coat. Many winters it sat in the closet and I swore I wouldn't bring it back.
So if we're all lucky........It will be like that very first one I had ( I think it was '97) when it was just about 70 each day. It was awesome.
I can say that the guys did golf every week in Myrtle. The weather was fine for that........You can hardly do that back north at all.
There is always beautiful walking days, and many sunny beach days to enjoy.
January and Feb. will be much quieter........and thats nice.
I hope to be in the surf in March......we do usually get a chance to do that.......but, the water is still quite cold.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:51 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,698,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
As you have seen, it still gets chilly in the winter, even in the south. You would have to go to S.Florida to be hot in the winter. Did you really think it would be warm in Tennessee?

As for the boat/motorhome thing, that's interesting that you admit that freely. Sooooooo happy for an HOA neighborhood! No eyesores like that!!!
Actually we didn't want it to be warm in Tennessee, but we did want it to not snow. We knew we were in trouble when then entire I-81 corridor had snow forecast for our travel day. Ober Gatlinburg was very pretty and we had a good time, just wished it could have been without snow, and especially without ice!

I know it gets chilly in the south in the winter. We were at Ocean Lakes in MB in our motor home one February and there was a wet snow flurry storm and our water hose froze. We had to thaw it out with a hair dryer. We were in Fort Myers Florida one winter when they had a freeze there too. (Gee, maybe it's us - maybe WE bring the cold weather with us - LOL! )

As far as neighborhoods, that's one of the things that makes the MB area so great. HOAs for you, and no HOAs for me. Everyone can be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area