Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 06:18 PM

245 posts, read 762,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
SouthernByChoice:
Not a very nice post!
sometimes the truth hurts

Old 10-10-2009, 06:32 PM

35 posts, read 140,420 times
Hello--
I'm from NJ and plan to move to SC next year. Gosh, if you are that unhappy there--I think you should go back to NE. It's probably better for everyone-- but also you sound a little lonely or depressed? So, maybe you are overworked or not finding enough quiet time to just commune with the wonderfulness of a great southern state. I can't wait to be on the coast of SC.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:02 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,221,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevrEnufGolf View Post
Again, please let me stress I'd like respectful and responsible replies, not a dixie vs yankee battle! Thanks in advance.
Honestly I am not sure if I believe your post or not. I was born and raised in Myrtle Beach, and your description of the place sounds more like a description of rural SC and not the city of Myrtle Beach. Furthermore there are more non-native people living in this city than people who were raised there as I can tell you from experience there are not that many. My mom and dad, who still live there, are involved in organizations that are mostly transplants and they are all welcomed and encouraged. Myrtle Beach, almost by definition, is a city that exists because of people who are not from there. It has been this way for decades not only because of the tourists, but because, until recently, the significantly large military prescience there.

If you are having this much trouble in Myrtle Beach, which is one of the more tolerant places in SC, then I suggest that you move back to New England because it doesn't get any better than anywhere else. As for your complaints on the food there isn't anything I can say about that except if you can only find places serving mayo, then you need to do more looking. It almost sounds like you went to a, "what I don't like about the South" webpage and posted that here, not understanding that Myrtle Beach really isn't that Southern.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:23 AM

10 posts, read 22,548 times
Default Thanks to all who replied helpfully!

I really appreciate the time people took to offer insights about what I have observed.

I didn't at all go to a "what I dislike about the south" page......that's silly! I am merely stating MY observations and the things that I'm finding different. I am quite sure that anyone moving from the south to New England would have some of the same kinds of adjustment problems, just maybe different issues. My point isn't to slam all things southern....it's to try to figure out if the things I haven't gotten used to yet are always going to be a part of life here that I find difficult, or if I just need to be more patient.

There have been good things here, to be sure. Winter weather, fried chicken, the abundance of golf. And I'm sure the first time I have to go shovel 2 feet of "partly cloudy" to go to work, I'll wonder if it really WAS all that much to deal with here.

This was never about "good" or "bad"......right or wrong. It's about saying, "this place is very different than where I grew up...here are the things I'm struggling with getting used to....can anyone help me figure out if these are just things I will learn to live with or in fact, are these things going to make me crazy enough to move back to NE"?

I understand that MB is perhaps the melting pot of the south and less "southern" than other areas. I liked MB well enough as a vacation spot to buy a condo here for vacations, and with life changes, now I live here full time. There's good and bad here, and some VERY different things than what I grew up with.

Thanks for (a) keeping this civil and helpful (ok, maybe exclude Vrexy and SouthernbyChoice from THAT) and (b) for the people who took time to offer honest thoughts.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:34 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,850,099 times
Quote:
As a native New Englander (guess that makes me a damn Yankee?)
I saw this topic scrolling down to a different forum...

Sorry, this post lacks credibility for me simply because, as a Native New Englander living here my entire life, NO New Englander uses the term Yankee...oh maybe 200 years ago.

Southerners....don't believe everything you read...I would seriously question the truth of this post!

Old 10-11-2009, 09:15 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,676,642 times
I think the last line of Teddyterp's post bears repeating:

"There's an old saying, "what goes around, comes around". And you're right it sure is different here. Isn't that cool. Spread some good around, look for the good things, and it will come around."

Old 10-11-2009, 10:15 AM

245 posts, read 762,290 times
wow ....and I was being nice...keep it going ...maybe I will get a chance to show the unpleasant side.LMAO

Old 10-11-2009, 10:53 AM

10,040 posts, read 15,705,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I saw this topic scrolling down to a different forum...

Sorry, this post lacks credibility for me simply because, as a Native New Englander living here my entire life, NO New Englander uses the term Yankee...oh maybe 200 years ago.

Southerners....don't believe everything you read...I would seriously question the truth of this post!
Maybe you don't/didn't - but some of us sure do. Maybe it depends which state you are from.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:50 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,676,642 times
Default Another museum

Myrtle Beach art - The Franklin G. Burroughs-Simeon B. Chapin Art Museum (http://www.myrtlebeachartmuseum.org/about_myrtle_beach.htm - broken link)

Also, there's Brookgreen Gardens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
I'm not going to jump into the fray here, but since you mentioned no museums in MB I will mention that there actually are some museums in the MB area, if not MB itself.

There is an art museum near the Springmaid Pier on the southern end of the city. There is an Horry County Museum in Conway. There is a Rice Planter's Museum in Georgetown. I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I have heard of. I've never been to any of them, so I can't offer details. I HAVE been to the Children's Museum near Cap'n Hook's Mini Golf and that was awesome, but unless you're under the age of 10 or have someone with you who is I doubt it's for you.

I have friends that I met on another message board who have moved from N.E. to MB and they absolutely love it. I also have a friend from that message board who moved from PA and is in the health care field and she loves it there too.

I hope you are able to find (or make) your peace, and if you do find that all those little things piling up are just too much to overcome, then I hope you are able to find a place that does suit you, without winter.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:56 PM

7 posts, read 17,197 times
Quote:
Maybe this is less common and just my very personal experience, but I have also noticed a disrespect for and dislike of authority or rules. I have heard often, "no one s gonna tell me how to run my life or make rules for MY kids....." At a get together with a number of people who have children, I sat back and observed this same sentiment among a number of people, not just my friend. I heard people complaining about getting speeding tickets (could you not read the speed limit sign?) and complaining about public areas being non smoking. There were a host of other topics but the general theme to the complaints was about anyone imposing wills or laws upon anyone else. And paying taxes..."exactly what does the county do for ME that I should have to pay taxes???? What have the cops and sheriff ever done but give me grief?"
Sounds a little like a New Hampshire attitude to me: Live free or die!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area