Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:10 PM

10 posts, read 22,546 times

Advertisements

The post is valid. *I* don't refer to myself as a Yankee...my point is that the differences in culture and lifestyle are perpetuated on BOTH sides of the discussion. I have met a number a NC/SC natives who harp very negatively on those "damn Yankees" whether it's folks here in person or things seen on TV. And yet, us "damn yankees" are supposed to gleefully embrace all things southern?

But yet again....you have missed the point. It's not about a southerner's right to like or dislike me or any other "damn yankees". I am born and raised New England (southeastern Massachusetts) with family still there. Like it or not, there are differences in culture and lifestyle between here and there, and trying to get to the root of those and understand if I am going to be able to make SC feel like home is what this post is about.

SouthernbyChoice cracked me up......because *I* am questioning things that are different and not to my liking, *I* have a bad attitude? Talk about proving my point....... Southern, perhaps you need to consider how you look to others with your kind and helpful words when you're advertising your very "southern-ness"...... Other have, on this thread and privately to me, commented on what a swell example of southern charm you have displayed.

And Vrexy comes along and feels the need to protect the entire nursing profession from my observations in the post WW3 "firing back"..... Rather a funny coincidence that a number of people since then have validated my concerns about healthcare in this area, isn't it? Gonna shoot at them, too, Vrexy? I hear there's a swell L3 trauma center in Ohio somewhere that could probably handle an influx of gunshot wounds.....

I am, at this point in time, going to stop following this thread. First of all, a number of people here and in emails off the board fully validated and supported the things I asked about and have understood what I'm finding difficult. Likewise, a few people have not managed to keep their comments civil or helpful and are choosing to take this to a personal level, which I refuse to accept. I have some of what I was hoping for in answers....the post about BBQ being "the" religion down here is an eye opener. And those who have shared my concerns about the quality of healthcare also added to my thoughts. To those of you with sincere help and honest concern, I thank you.

And on that note.....

I invite anyone who would like to continue this discussion to contact me via email on this forum. I am happy to discuss it privately. But I am NOT going to be anyone's public punching bag for asking valid questions and trying to find answers.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:35 PM

13 posts, read 42,050 times
Oh my, I just came upon this post. So this "Yankee" think is at the shore too? I have never been called a Yankee nor has my kids until we moved to SC (Fort Mill) from Ohio. We have not been here very long but I am concerned that we may have made a mistake. It's crazy because I tried to give my children a history lesson months before we moved about the beautiful state of South Carolina and all the wonderful history it has to offer only to be call a "Damn Yankee". We are going to still play it out until the end of the school year and see if we are a fit here. Best of luck to you. I really understand what you mean

Old 10-12-2009, 10:25 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,833,610 times
Quote:
ohiopolkadots wrote: I have never been called a Yankee nor has my kids until we moved to SC (Fort Mill)...
One thing sure, polkadots, you moved directly into the heart of the South. Being married to a gal from Fort Mill, I know the area has a fierce Southern pride. Fort Mill may not be far from Charlotte in miles, but in many ways, they are two different worlds. Some of us think that's a good thing...

I do find it interesting that when you signed up for an account on here yesterday, the username you selected ID's you as "Ohio" rather than "SC". Seems to be an odd choice for someone trying to integrate themselves into a new culture. Just a wild guess, but any chance your neighbor's attitudes toward you are a reflection of your attitudes toward them?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Teddyterp wrote: And they taught us that barbeque is something you eat, not something you do...
Southern101: A+

Old 10-12-2009, 10:46 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,548,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
One thing sure, polkadots, you moved directly into the heart of the South. Being married to a gal from Fort Mill, I know the area has a fierce Southern pride. Fort Mill may not be far from Charlotte in miles, but in many ways, they are two different worlds. Some of us think that's a good thing...

I do find it interesting that when you signed up for an account on here yesterday, the username you selected ID's you as "Ohio" rather than "SC". Seems to be an odd choice for someone trying to integrate themselves into a new culture. Just a wild guess, but any chance your neighbor's attitudes toward you are a reflection of your attitudes toward them?
Maybe, maybe not. I'm from Ohio and ran into some real issues in Concord NC when I first move there. Fort Mill however....none. Well except for the neighbor who hates everyone from the North but he's a drunk (ie: he's obviously miserable anyway).

I have either adapted, or just shut up about the whole N vs S issue...it gets one nowhere, and causes hurt feelings as well. I decided I don't need to "integrate" myself anywhere, I am me, take me as I am...however I do make a point of being nice to everyone and know what issues not to discuss and walk away from. Do I think there are things that need improved here? Absolutely, and I thought the same thing about NC (even more so) and in Ohio as well. Do I express them as general conversation to people? Nope.
I'll express those with my vote.

Gosh life is so stressful anymore ain't it? I just think fighting about an area of the country where one's parents birthed them, is unnecessary at best.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:24 AM

9,540 posts, read 16,545,845 times
Im from New England also. I don't live in SC or the the south. I live in Oregon. I will give you a different perspective on this. From someone that doesn't live in the region but can read between the lines so to speak.

No matter what you say or how you feel, you will most likely not be allowed to feel anything beyond what a native should feel. It will take a very kind hearted understanding Southerner to accept the fact that someone (non native) would and its completely normal to feel out of place. At least for awhile anyway.

The Southern USA is an entirely different culture than the majority of the USA. Is it so difficult to understand someone not from there, would feel out of place at least for that little while anyway. Give them a Bleeding Break. I have met tons of people from the South in New England. I don't remember anyone including me ever looking down on them because they had adjustment troubles. I distinctly remember being treated pretty poorly at Pease AFB in NH by several southerners from Ga that thought all of us New Englanders were racists. I hold no grudges towards them or the Southern USA and have visited numerous times. I like the area but not sure I could live there either.

To the OP from reading your Thread, I don't think you should remain there. I think your someone that is just not meant to live there and thats perfectly fine. I mean you could try the Atlanta area or Charlotte or even Raliegh. Im not sure though some of what your feeling now wouldn't follow you to those cities. You tried it and its not your region of the country. Thankfully your in a profession that you can pack up and leave, and most likely find another job very easily. I would chock it all up to a new venture you tried in life, and it just wasn't for you. I think that would be easier and more respectful to yourself than struggling like you are.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:23 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,697,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Myrtle Beach art - The Franklin G. Burroughs-Simeon B. Chapin Art Museum (http://www.myrtlebeachartmuseum.org/about_myrtle_beach.htm - broken link)

Also, there's Brookgreen Gardens.
I never thought of Brookgreen Gardens as a museum, but after considering this, Vrexy, I find that that is exactly what it is. It's a living museum of growing things - oaks with Spanish moss, flowers, etc. - and it's a sculpture museum of the finest quality. There's also a small zoo and a boat ride for those less "culturally" inclined.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Mrs. P wrote: I decided I don't need to "integrate" myself anywhere...
That's right, you don't. You can always be the person from wherever, living down here for the climate. We have many folks like that around here, most 'em in gated enclaves, who prefer to maintain their lifestyle as closely as possible to whatever it was before they moved here.

That's fine, BUT... those who make that choice have no business jumping on this forum and complaining about how the locals treat 'em. ohiopolkadots cannot have it both ways. She can be either the person from Ohio or she can work hard at integrating herself into the local culture. IMO, choosing "Ohio" as part of her userid is a mighty good indication of which she has chosen, either consciously or subconsciously.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:00 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,675,978 times
Default More museums.....

Yes, and thanks Dawne, for your reply. It (Brookgreen) really is a wonderful place and so is this entire area. So many things to explore and appreciate!

I think that, in general, you see what you look for. Look for good and you will find it and what's more ~ you will find it everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
I never thought of Brookgreen Gardens as a museum, but after considering this, Vrexy, I find that that is exactly what it is. It's a living museum of growing things - oaks with Spanish moss, flowers, etc. - and it's a sculpture museum of the finest quality. There's also a small zoo and a boat ride for those less "culturally" inclined.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:19 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,548,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
That's right, you don't. You can always be the person from wherever, living down here for the climate. We have many folks like that around here, most 'em in gated enclaves, who prefer to maintain their lifestyle as closely as possible to whatever it was before they moved here.

That's fine, BUT... those who make that choice have no business jumping on this forum and complaining about how the locals treat 'em. ohiopolkadots cannot have it both ways. She can be either the person from Ohio or she can work hard at integrating herself into the local culture. IMO, choosing "Ohio" as part of her userid is a mighty good indication of which she has chosen, either consciously or subconsciously.
And I agree with you, but when you've moved somewhere and within 48 hours of living there been insulted 2 or three times, it starts one out on a sour note. Thus was my experience in Concord NC. There was no reason for it at all, I simply went to a store and asked for an item, and was promptly insulted (that took a mere 4 hours after arriving). I did not demand the item, I just asked where it was (and yes they had it behind the counter).

I choose not to lose my self worth to please other people. I do chose to be pleasant and accepting of everyone around me, if they don't like me because of where I was born, I will not make an effort to further the friendship but rather move on and ignore it. Once I decided to do that, I became much more happier, as I realized it wasn't me, but it was the other person.

It's unfortunate, but yes things do happen to people who move here and through no fault of their own, they are insulted. Not a lot mind you, but yeah it happens. And it happens everywhere. Unfortunate fact of life.

Unfortunate for me, that my first impression of NC within 4 hours was a rude incredibly stupid clerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area