Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 10:07 AM

37 posts, read 45,890 times

Advertisements

Market Common is "THE BONG"...where else can you go bar-hoppin with your golf cart, go to the movies..14 screens,
eat lunch or diner at so many different spots, live free concerts in summer evenings, dragon boat races in the lake,
I could go on and on...THE PLACE IS GREAT, GLAD I MOVE HERE.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 02:23 PM

174 posts, read 258,277 times
Cklinger116, although we're not there yet, I agree with your appraisal of Market Common. After several visits during the past year and a half, and enjoying the area, we decided to buy a new home in the area. When we last visited in May, we walked across the park and over to the Market Common shopping/restaurant area...it only took 10 minutes from where we'll be living. The convenience and the pretty walk cemented our decision. Looking forward to being a neighbor.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:39 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,704,766 times
I've been here 2 1/2 months so I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I love it. Yes the homes are close together, but I was living in a San Francisco flat, so to me there is more than enough room. Having everything close is very convenient. Running errands on my bike or golf cart makes things easy.
I'm not aware of any Market Commons area that doesn't have an HOA. Make sure you read and can live by the rules before you buy.
By the way goldentraveler, I pass by where they are building your new home on a regular basis. They are really moving getting things done.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:20 PM

174 posts, read 258,277 times
Thanks for the comment, Retire in MB. Our contractor has been in touch with us and will be sending us weekly emails with photos as the construction progresses. Hope these weekly updates keep me assured that all is going as planned. If I remember correctly, you live in Emmens Preserve. My BIL and SIL bought a home there 2 years ago. Lovely neighborhood and unbelievable pool! We've met some people who live there and they are warm and friendly. It gives us a good feeling about our decision to move to the area. As you know, Park Place is only minutes away from where you live, so I may indeed meet you one day in the near future. BTW, thanks for all your wonderful contributions to this forum. I look forward to reading all your posts have learned a lot from you.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:45 AM

43 posts, read 114,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKLINGER116 View Post
Market Common is "THE BONG"...

Got me there, even Urban Dictionary doesn't know about 'the bong', though I feel Market common is 'the bomb'!

Old 07-28-2016, 04:21 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,704,766 times
Since South Carolina has not legalized marijuana, I'm not sure what "the bong" means either

Old 08-14-2016, 08:52 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,455,978 times
Imo seems a little generic and not real like other local neighborhoods.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:31 AM

27 posts, read 48,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYellowHat View Post
My wife and I are wanting to move from the Longs area (which is almost in NC) closer to the middle or southern end of the Grand Strand due to jobs, schools, activities, etc. Being in Longs for the last 12 years we find that it is quite a hike to get to many of the places that we like to go so we often just stay home. One of the areas we like is the Market Commons. I like it, but my wife loves it. The biggest issue for me is the cost with living in one of the communities in the area that is within walking/bike riding distance from MC. It seems like as far as homes go, you pay more and get less. The homes within our price range ($300K-$325K) are all on very small lots. I found the same exact home that we were interested in further south near Murrells Inlet for $40K cheaper and it was on a much bigger lot. I know.....location, location, location. But at what cost? A $40K-$50K premium for living that close to MC seems steep to me. My biggest fear as that we sacrifice lot and house size for location and end up not doing all the "great" things that are available in the MC after a while. It's weird but isn't the whole idea with moving down south to have more space and be more out in the open? Why recreate the cramped feel of living in the big city? We have 3 kids (6, 11, 15) so we're looking at 2400 sq homes on small lots. I guess the question is once the whole "we live in Market Commons" thing wears off will we be happy?

Are there any MC folks here that have any regrets? Is it really worth it?

Well finally, over a year later we are moving to Market Commons....sort of. We sold our house in Longs and will be temporarily renting a place in MC. We are going to treat it as a "test run" of the area before we make our decision on where to purchase. I'll chime back in to let you know what I think of the area in a few months. Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:52 PM

161 posts, read 238,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentraveler View Post
SC here I come, I'm glad you are so happy in Murrells Inlet. We are looking for a single family home (one level), 3 BR, 2B, about 2000 sq. ft, in the price range of $250,000 to a max of $300,000 (preferably the lower end!). We would like a new home, or one that's "close to new". Would like city water and sewer, near a state park, with a low HOA. We have not visited Murrells Inlet but will next week. We want to be in a safe, friendly neighborhood and would like to meet people and enjoy our retirement. Don't need an "activities director", if you know what I mean, but would like opportunities to meet people. I've done so much reading and research and have talked to as many people as I can about "southern living", but I have so much more to learn. This is a big decision for us. I don't know enough about Murrells Inlet, or any other area along the Grand Strand, for that matter to know where to concentrate our efforts. But I'm sure we'll have a good visit and will seek out areas from Little River down to Murrells Inlet. Willing to hear your suggestions and recommendations.
we moved to Murrells Inlet ji June 2015 but built our home I the Meadows of St. Patrick and closed in June 2014 and we love it. Roughly 2200 of living space great lot, low HOA ($25 monthly, no clubhouse or pool which was not a priority for us) and we paid less tha $220K.
Not far from Huntington Beach State Park with its nature trails, bike paths, and a relatively quiet beach access!
Currently we know of one hose for sale although there could be others being sold by Gardn City Realty. The house is probably only a couple of years old as it was built when ours was by Flagship Construction.

618 Leprechaun Lane | Murrells Inlet Real Estate | South Carolina Real Estate

We love it here.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:46 AM

9 posts, read 12,392 times
Quick question, what are the bugs like in the market commons/houses/trails areas? Specifically mosquitos while out walking at night. Do you get dear flies during the day? Spiders in the eves? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area