Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 09:54 AM

27 posts, read 48,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
Ooops...I thought you were referring to International Golf course area in Murrells Inlet. I live about a mile away from there....NOT a mile away from Market Common. Sorry for the confusion.
Oh, I see. You're right, a lot of things to do in that area as well. The theater and bowling alley at the Inlet mall is top notch. I also love the new Planet Fitness in there. A totally different vibe when you are south of 544 that I could see being quite appealing as well. Just feels more relaxing and not as busy. Even if I don't buy a home in that area now I could definitely see myself starting to look for my next home there once the nest empties out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 05:48 AM

33 posts, read 72,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
Tracy, you truly lucked out. From looking at it, basically you and only 2 other houses in the entire community of 350 plus homes have a nice sized lot. BTW, nice house. :P

MC is a real nice place. Heck, if i was a single guy, i would look into one of those condo/townhouses on Howard
Ave. That place looks pretty cool. But, I'm a married dude. sighhhhhhhhhhhh...lol
Thank you! We love it so far!

Old 07-16-2015, 09:46 AM

Well it doesn't look like we are moving to the MC. We came close though. My wife and I agreed on the house we wanted and the lot we wanted to build on. We were willing to give in on some of the things that we didn't like (i.e. lot size, cookie cutter feel, etc.) and were even willing to go over the budget that we had originally set for the home. However the builder would not agree to make what we thought was a small change to the floor plan that would make a huge difference in our eyes. So in the end it called for just giving up too many things that were important to us. We will continue to look for a place that it close to the MC but it seems like living within walking distance just isn't in the cards for us.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:49 PM

809 posts, read 1,180,988 times
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I am curious though, what model were you looking at and what change were you interested in?

It can be frustrating, but when you find that house you want, you'll be elated. I think we all have to give up something when we buy a home. I never knew anyone that said they got absolutely everything on their wish list. Although, I have to admit, we came pretty close!!

Best of luck!

Old 07-16-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I am curious though, what model were you looking at and what change were you interested in?

It can be frustrating, but when you find that house you want, you'll be elated. I think we all have to give up something when we buy a home. I never knew anyone that said they got absolutely everything on their wish list. Although, I have to admit, we came pretty close!!

Best of luck!
You're right, we all do have to give up something when buying a home but once we got to a point where we felt that we were giving up on too many things that's when the deal fell through. I'm glad to hear that it worked out well for you. Luckily, there are still plenty of fine areas in which to live down here where I think we can find the balance we're looking for.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:40 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,529 times
We will be pulling into Pirateland next Monday. Looking at a few places over the next couple of weeks. Market Commons being one-but we really prefer to be further south away from the real traffic clogging that can happen in the summer months. We hope to make the move in the fall of 2016-jobs lined up and house in NY sold. We love the Surfside area as that's where we've always stayed. Only ventured into the city area once for the Gay Dolphin years ago, and we didn't even see the boardwalk yet.

Still debating about buying new. Not so sure on it. But anyway, to turn a key and just move in opposed to building from the ground up is very appealing. We aren't sure what new places have started in the area-we keep wobbling on the idea of a HOA. Not a huge fan, but we both know we will get older someday and it might be smart to plan ahead.

So where to look south of 544? We had seen older homes last year in Deerfield. But that just wasn't what we really wanted to do is remodel right after moving.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:36 AM

34 posts, read 109,932 times
I live in the Market Common area and it's great. It's a little taste of city in an otherwise suburban, small town landscape. But I rent and if I were in the market to buy, I would look elsewhere simply because I think it's overpriced for Myrtle Beach and you'll get a more house or a better bargain close by while still being within a reasonable driving distance.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:14 PM

43 posts, read 114,328 times
Everything is relative, right?

My wife and I moved from Boston to Market Common three years ago. Been renting here. Just closed on a new home in Beazer's Balmoral neighborhood a month ago. We're definitely in the minority (she's late 20s, I'm early 30s), but love it here.

For us, its 3x the space, for 1/2 the price. Just having our own yard, however small, is a bonus over 3rd floor condo, and still being close to things to do, stores and restaurants in Market Common makes it very convenient to walk or bike to do things; which is something you don't find much of on the Grand Strand: ability to get by without a car!

I have this discussion with new friends I've met here all the time. Yes, relative to many areas on the Grand Strand, Market Common may be 'overpriced'. However with everything it has to offer, and the rate at which homes are sold here, I have no concerns over my home value going down. Sound investment in my eyes.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:31 PM

174 posts, read 257,582 times
LogicX, congratulations on your new home. It's nice to hear positive things about MB. We checked out the Balmoral neighborhood and it sure looked nice. However, we were not ready to purchase at the time. We are getting closer to getting our home on the market, so we have hopes of moving to MB this year. It is so nice to hear that you are happy in the Market Common area. We, too are looking there. It's a little challenging for us since we are several states away and have to rely on emails and the kind people on this forum for info and recommendations. We are more than twice your age, so this is a real big step for us. Have only moved twice in over 40 years. But we are excited about warmer weather. Looking forward to getting away from snow and ice and CT taxes. I'm sure you can relate to both of these things. I'm curious as to what model home you bought. Hope you don't mind me asking. Enjoy a new year in your new home.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:23 PM

43 posts, read 114,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentraveler View Post
I'm curious as to what model home you bought.
We went with the Lennox. Easily the least-popular model in the community (there's only one other, which was a spec home). A modified version is called the Palmetto in other Beazer neighborhoods.

However I went with the three-car, side-load garage, and made some modifications:
  • Study with glass doors instead of open living room
  • Added door between master walk in closet and laundry room
  • 10-ft sliding glass door at rear
  • Extended width of driveway to 18ft the full length (I can now park 6 cars in my driveway, or three and still get in/out of the garage)

So its now a one-of-a-kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area