Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:12 PM

29 posts, read 64,749 times

Advertisements

Well, we are still looking for the right place. Today, we toured two open houses in Cypress River Plantation, off Hwy 707. Overall, we were impressed with the quality of the homes and with what we saw of the neighborhood. Neither of these homes was right for us, but there were quite a few others for sale.

We would love to hear from anyone who lives in this development or who migth be familiar with it. We had two red flags. Judging from the two homes we saw, it seems you get a lot for your money here compared to other places around Myrtle Beach. That's great, but I wonder why? Usually, if it seems too good to be true, it usually is. Secondly, there seemed to be a lot of homes for sale. Maybe that's just a sign that the housing market is not yet back up to speed? When we asked, the realtor said that river flooding was not an issue here, but I wonder. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 AM

39 posts, read 88,507 times
We are also interested in this community, especially as an alternative to 55 plus communities. Anyone know what the HOA is and any info regarding flood insurance requirements would be helpful.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:55 AM

790 posts, read 1,619,831 times
I am certainly not an expert on Cypress River but have looked into the development and talked to the agent who used to be on site. The HOA fees are $125/month. It is gated and has a full time guard at the front gate.

I have looked at several houses which were already built and/or in various stages of being built. The quality depends on the builder and in this development you can, generally, pick your lot and then pick your builder. So, for an already constructed house the quality can vary from house to house so look carefully if you are considering buying an existing house. I know that RS Parker is also building some spec houses on some lots. Their quality is good but not what I would consider excellent (not custom builder quality).

I don't know for certain about flooding but I would not think it would be an issue. There are various sites you can go to for maps on flood zones and I would trust those more than a realtor. You could also call an insurance agent and ask about insurance in the development...that would tell you pretty quick whether flood insurance is required.

Re the number of homes for sale...I know that before the housing collapse, lots in the development started at $100K...now you can get one in some parts of the development for as low as $20K. I'm guessing that there are a variety of reasons people are selling which could include job movement/transfer (the price range would attract many mobile executive types) and possibly not liking the change in the demographics of the neighborhood since the lots are a lot cheaper.

I liked Cypress River but it is a bit off the beaten path (could be a reason for lower cost/sqft) and it will be a huge development (number of homes) once/if it's completed. I didn't like the size...too big for me. Some people might be concerned with the number of empty lots and the slow pace of development. When lots don't sell quickly, developers sometimes bail/sell out to someone who might not have the same standards as were originally envisioned.

Hope this helps. It's a very nice development if you like what it's offering and the ongoing HOA costs.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:36 PM

29 posts, read 64,749 times
Thank you very much for the excellent info. Being out of all the action doesn't bother us, but I am a little concerned about the future plans to widen 707. That could be a problem for awhile. We also did not come away with the impression it was a huge development, but I confess we did not take the time to explore all of it. We'll definitely do that on the next visit. Again, thank you very much for your help.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 PM

Here's link to the site plan which will give you an idea of the size of the development. Site Plan | Cypress River Plantation The link also gives lots of other info as well.

As far as 707 widening, there are two ways to get there. At one end of the road, 707 is already widened and you go around the construction (get on Enterprise Road in Socastee). The other end (which is the more common way to get there) empties out on the section of 707 that is going to be widened.

Unless there is an open house, you cannot get into the development on the weekends without a realtor. They will let you in on the week days if you simply ask.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 PM

9 posts, read 38,749 times
Smile Ginabella

Hi, we also are interested in Cypress River Plantation. We are coming from MA. And do not know the area that well.
How far is it to the main beaches? Is this in the Carolina Forrest area? Is this development outside the city limits? Does any one know what the property taxes are?
We have relatives who just bought in the Dunes. How far is CRP from that area?
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Gina

Old 03-28-2014, 07:37 AM

It's about a 15 minute drive to the beaches. It's not in the CF area...it's about 10 miles south as the crow flies. It is definitely outside MB city limits and is governed by county and HOA rules. It is more in a rural setting although the development itself is nicely set up. But the drive to get there is rural. Property taxes depend on the value of the house but for a SC resident would probably run in the neighborhood of $800 for a $200K house...although houses in CR tend to run more than $200k. Taxes will definitely be cheaper than MA...LOL. If you build a future retirement house but are not a SC resident, count on taxes being about 3x what a SC resident pays. CR is about 15 miles from the Dunes Club...best route is on SC 31 from the Dunes to 544 to 707 to Bay Rd. SC 31 is being extended to 707 but that will not finish for a few years.

The development has a nice pool and storage area for boats. It's rather large so if you like small, intimate communities, it's not the place to be. It's about 5 miles to the nearest grocery, pharmacy, gas station, restaurants, etc.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:02 PM

CTyankee54
Thank you so much for all the great information!! Our thoughts were to purchase land possibly now and build in a year or two. Somewhere I read that there is no time frame on building on your lot in CRP. Tax base sounds good and you are definitely right on being way better than MA!!
We are spoiled though, we live in a coastal town just one mile from the beach. I guess we could handle 15 minutes away, not sure though. We definitely need to make a trip down to check out the area. The town we live in is rural which we love, but we are only 5 minutes from grocery, pharmacy PO etc. but 5 miles doesn't sound bad. You sound very familiar and knowledgeable of the areas in MB.
Do you have any suggestions of other developments they might be desirable. I have looked at the Reserve and a few others like that. We don't like the cookie cutter type developments and they do not offer the option of purchasing a lot now and building later.
Thank you in advance for any information you may offer us.
Gina

Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 PM

CTyankee54

My husband just presented a good question. Are the roads in the development complete, ie paved?
Some developments especially large ones develop only certain areas at a time as the lots sell, leaving dirt roads until each section is developed. Utilities being underground may not be finished until each section is complete. Any information on this??
Thanks
Gina

Old 03-31-2014, 07:35 PM

CTyankee54

Hi again, I am guessing you are a Yankee transplant from Connecticut, ha ha..Do you now live in SC year round. Regarding the taxes; we are definitely planning on being permanent residents of SC.
However as I mentioned before we are considering purchasing the lot now and build next year. Would you know how the tax situation would work in that situation? Still 3X more than a SC resident?
That probably sounds like a stupid question, but we are wondering if there is a different tax structure
For that situation.
Thank you..
Gina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area