Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:13 PM

8 posts, read 20,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by williebear12 View Post
what schools in horry are regarded the best???..and what family communities are located within these schools??..boys ages 8 and 12..so middle and high school would be my concern!!!..looking for a family community near the beach...thanks!!! retired nypd..and wife is currently RN...
Williebear,

I too am looking at a relo to MB in the next month or two and have been researching schools extensively. The only thing I have to go on is test scores, which my wife (an educator) tells me do not always tell the full story of a school. All us parents want to know is if our youngsters will have an opertunity to succeed and excel. Often times you will find larger schools test lower because of a wider socio-economic cross section, but will at the same time offer more AP programs and extras because of their scale.

By the test scores Carolina Forest, which is almost everything west of the intercoastal, north of 544, and south of 90 is the best.

St. James is probably the best on the east of the intercoastal (covering most of the coastal area south of Prestwick CC and all the way to the County Line) with Socasttee and Burgess being a close second and third.

Myrtle Beach is the worst by a good measure on tests, but it's also the largest covering from Market Commons up to North Myrtle.

I would love to here some local insight as to which schools offer the most AP courses and which have the most extra circular activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 09:10 AM

70 posts, read 163,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch4rliehus7le View Post
Williebear,

I too am looking at a relo to MB in the next month or two and have been researching schools extensively. The only thing I have to go on is test scores, which my wife (an educator) tells me do not always tell the full story of a school. All us parents want to know is if our youngsters will have an opertunity to succeed and excel. Often times you will find larger schools test lower because of a wider socio-economic cross section, but will at the same time offer more AP programs and extras because of their scale.

By the test scores Carolina Forest, which is almost everything west of the intercoastal, north of 544, and south of 90 is the best.

St. James is probably the best on the east of the intercoastal (covering most of the coastal area south of Prestwick CC and all the way to the County Line) with Socasttee and Burgess being a close second and third.

Myrtle Beach is the worst by a good measure on tests, but it's also the largest covering from Market Commons up to North Myrtle.

I would love to here some local insight as to which schools offer the most AP courses and which have the most extra circular activities.
THANKS..CH!!..lets keep each other updated on the school situation on this post..im in the early early stages of looking..dissapointed right now theres no youth ice hockey which my boys play..were deciding to relocate between upstate ny(family) or the warmer weather of myrtle beach(no family)..boys want to go to myrtle but weren't happy about the hockey situation!!! lol

Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
When you are looking it would help you to note that Socastee has a mailing address of Myrtle Beach. ( or parts of, not sure of its total area) Some homes come up as Myrtle Beach and are not actually. I have heard exactly what you have posted above( on schools) so I guess you are right on.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 PM

8 posts, read 20,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williebear12 View Post
THANKS..CH!!..lets keep each other updated on the school situation on this post..im in the early early stages of looking..dissapointed right now theres no youth ice hockey which my boys play..were deciding to relocate between upstate ny(family) or the warmer weather of myrtle beach(no family)..boys want to go to myrtle but weren't happy about the hockey situation!!! lol
That sounds good.

I too grew up playing youth hockey in the northeast, but down here even when you can find a program you are going to be spending major dollars just to travel with the team to find competition.

It is just going to be one of those regional sacrifices. Baseball and football are the major sports down here with soccer building a strong support group.

You may be losing hockey, but think of all the water based activities you are gaining. My suggestion is sign the family up for a surfing lesson as soon as you get settled. The waves aren't exactly huge, but there is usually enough of a swell to give you a ride. And its an activity that everyone in the family can enjoy together.

Either that or buy some jetski's and start exploring the intercoastal waterway.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch4rliehus7le View Post
That sounds good.

I too grew up playing youth hockey in the northeast, but down here even when you can find a program you are going to be spending major dollars just to travel with the team to find competition.

It is just going to be one of those regional sacrifices. Baseball and football are the major sports down here with soccer building a strong support group.

You may be losing hockey, but think of all the water based activities you are gaining. My suggestion is sign the family up for a surfing lesson as soon as you get settled. The waves aren't exactly huge, but there is usually enough of a swell to give you a ride. And its an activity that everyone in the family can enjoy together.

Either that or buy some jetski's and start exploring the intercoastal waterway.

sounds like fun!!!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM

62 posts, read 125,341 times
That's the spirit

My nephews play hockey $$$, select league so I understand the culture, costs & dedication.

I think they could have purchased 6 jet-ski's by now!

Best wishes with your decision!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:30 AM

249 posts, read 882,936 times
Default Meeting people

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC4 View Post
I actually like the fact that is will be "ghost town" for at least half of the year
I have another question, and please nobody take this the wrong way, as I do not want to offend anyone based on their age; as I read through different posts, I hear a lot about MB being an "older" town.. with most of the population being over 40. Now, yes 40 is still young but being 29 myself, and my husband being 31, will we have a hard time finding locals our age, who may share similar interests? Granted, we have 3 children so I'm not talking about bar hopping and such...

Try www.meetup.com

Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 PM

11 posts, read 25,935 times
Don't move here! I moved here in Myrtle Beach this March 2012. 1 block from the ocean, I am so unhappy. I have been a resident for 24 years and loved SC...Myrtle Beach, is a lawless state, their is no law here. It was a horrible mistake, God help me what was I thinking? I always vacationed in FL, cause I thought MB was too dirty. Why did I think it had changed? cause they put some nice hotels up? IDK. Someone going to tell me to back to where I come from, nods okay..I come from SC, will do. I would never advise moving to MB not even to my worst enemy. Locals are so mean, tourist are out of control, cause we have no law here. sales tax is 14cent on the dollar. no public bus that I've seen, I hear there is a trolley??? oh you will be approached if your female repeated and remember that can rape you, beat you, harass you, because there is no law. they don't like to do paper work. I felt safer in Mexico and that's a really bold statement. I hope I gave you insight of the real way of life her at MB. Sorry.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:49 PM

11 posts, read 25,935 times
agreed! don't move here

Old 06-17-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posnivy View Post
Don't move here! I moved here in Myrtle Beach this March 2012. 1 block from the ocean, I am so unhappy. I have been a resident for 24 years and loved SC...Myrtle Beach, is a lawless state, their is no law here. It was a horrible mistake, God help me what was I thinking? I always vacationed in FL, cause I thought MB was too dirty. Why did I think it had changed? cause they put some nice hotels up? IDK. Someone going to tell me to back to where I come from, nods okay..I come from SC, will do. I would never advise moving to MB not even to my worst enemy. Locals are so mean, tourist are out of control, cause we have no law here. sales tax is 14cent on the dollar. no public bus that I've seen, I hear there is a trolley??? oh you will be approached if your female repeated and remember that can rape you, beat you, harass you, because there is no law. they don't like to do paper work. I felt safer in Mexico and that's a really bold statement. I hope I gave you insight of the real way of life her at MB. Sorry.
wow!!! are u serious or is this a joke?? i have friends who are retired nyc police officers who have moved down close to myrtle beach (surf side) and i have never heard anything like this from them...curious your motives??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area