Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,360 times

Advertisements

Well ~ Let me say that you need to find jobs before you move and that having jobs will help you decide on locations to live. We live in Surfside Beach and love it here. We feel like we have moved to paradise. I think the cost of living is ridiculously low, especially compared to other places I have lived - mostly in the northeastern parts of the USA ~ many states: PA; MI; WI; OH; NJ; NY, etc. We don't miss the cold weather at all and if I never see snow again, I will not lose any sleep over it.

I also have a totally different opinion about the traffic in the MB area compared to most of the posters on this forum, but I moved from an area and have lived in areas where it can take you 2 hours to drive about 15 miles. The last place I lived before I moved here was in Essex County NJ. As the crow flies, we lived about 10 or 12 miles from NYC and used to go there all the time - maybe 3 times a week. Seriously, at times the traffic through either the Lincoln or Holland Tunnels was so bad that we ended up spending 2 or more hours to get into Manhattan. So when people here say that a traffic light makes them sit there for 10 min. - well, okay! Not so bad when you think of how it is in other places.....

The main thing I wanted to tell you is that I am also an RN and my husband is an MD. If you are seriously planning to move to SC start your RN license application NOW! SC has the most convoluted and crazy application process that I have ever seen in my life! I don't really want to work anymore, but I was thinking that I would get my SC RN license just to have one. When I looked at the application process, I changed my mind. I am keeping my RN license current in 2 other states, just in case. Also, my husband came here and took a job where he could use his NJ MD license and then decided that he also wanted to get a SC MD license. So he began the application process back in September of 2011. He still does not have his SC license! It is ridiculous! He has been licensed in many states, never had a single thing bad on his record and has has multiple "TOP DOC" awards in several states and many accolades. Taught at many schools and been the medical director of many programs. I used to teach nursing at WSU in OH and have an MSN. So just know that you will face an unbelievable amount of paperwork and bureaucratic nonsense when you apply for your SC RN license. Start now!

Best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:34 PM

44 posts, read 127,676 times
Ct, thanks for the clarification!

vrexy, wow thanks for that advice! I didn't realize the application process would be so brutal! I will look in to it tomorrow. And I will take your advice and start job searching; maybe that will narrow down a town for me. And you're right; compared to NYC traffic, I'm sure MB traffic seems great! Thanks again!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:40 PM

I hope that information about the application process helps speed up you getting your license. I was shocked when I looked at it! Hopefully you are younger (seems like you are) and won't have to go back 30 plus years to give them every single detail of your life!

Old 03-16-2012, 06:38 AM

Yes, I'm young Been a RN for 4 years now.. plan on geting my MS as well. Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 AM

Well, that's good for you as far as the application process. To get a license in SC, they want you to go back to the very beginning of your career and fill in every single thing you've ever done. We are older, so it's a nightmare. That's why I posted that about our history, etc. Also, for my husband, he has been trying to get someone to send, I don't know what kind of email to valididate "something" and the guy kept saying that they didn't have the email. After several phone calls, my husband finally said, well let's go through the alphabet and see if you can possibly find this email that I KNOW I sent you. Sure enough, there it was and had been for several months!

Also my nail technician told me that the application process for her license was equally bizarre. She said that she had to drive to the capital and get fingerprinted!!! In the face of that craziness, I've also read from other posters on C-D that there are a lot of nail places who hire illegal immigrants and have no checks and balances as far as hygiene, safety, etc.

Be persistent and don't get discouraged if the process is difficult!

Old 03-16-2012, 01:12 PM

Oh my goodness that does sound like a nightmare! I couldn't imagine having to go back 30 years and try to remember everything!

Thanks again

Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM

Yes and my husband has been practicing medicine for 43 years, all over the country. Some of the states he was licensed in, either don't keep records from that far back (because really, no one cares, except SC!) or they have these older records archived! Almost impossible to retrieve them since they really are no longer relevant to anything!

You most likely won't have any problems at all. What kind of nursing are you doing or are you interested in doing? Just curious.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:32 PM

I'm a OB/GYN nurse. On my unit we take care of postpartum women and post gynecological surgical patients. I am very interested in doing LDR, but the hospital I work for has separate units. I absolutely LOVE what I do, and will probably always do something in women's health.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 PM

3 posts, read 12,770 times
Hey JM! Congratulations on your impending move, and I hope everything goes well for you.

As for being able to walk to amenities, like grocery stores, pharmacies, etc., that's difficult to accomplish. You can minimize commuting by strategically picking your future house. Socastee, for example, has necessary amenities nearby, and is a short hop to MB, Conway, Surfside, and Murrell's Inlet. As for summer traffic, it's honestly no worse than most metropolitan rush-hour traffic elsewhere. Vrexy made a valid point regarding perspective. I have found that avoiding 17 Bypass during afternoon hours helps a lot. Hwy's 31 and 22 are great ways to travel. Also remember Grissom Parkway... it makes for easy travel within the city itself.

As for being near a hospital, again, Socastee is central to several. You're an OB/GYN nurse, and I am a former pharmacy technician. Waccamaw Community Hospital and Conway Medical Center are within 15 minutes drive of the township, as well as South Strand Medical Center. Grand Strand Regional and Seacoast Medical Centers are more north-end.... but yes, for sure, have your jobs lined up first. Also study a map, and learn side streets and alternative ways to get around.

I hope that helps! And take care!

Old 03-18-2012, 06:43 PM

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will have to check out the hospitals you've mentioned. I really appreciate it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area