Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 03:43 PM

31 posts, read 198,344 times

Advertisements

my wife and i are buying a second home in SC sometime in the coming year, with the intention of permanently moving when the youngest is out of HS.we are looking into murrells inlet, surfside, garden city, litchfield. Anyone with any insights into these areas, how do they compare with the island areas outside of Charleston? Will the older teenagers like the area, as well as a 13yr.old when we do visit in the summer and vacations.How is the living in these areas for the 50+ crowd? Thanks for the info everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2006, 05:06 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,486,871 times
Those are the places that I went to while growing up. Litchfield is probably the quietest, nicest place. The houses there are fairly large. I stayed there for a couple of weeks in the summer every year until I was about 16. If I were you, that would be my choice. Murrell's Inlet isn't a beach, it's a marsh - but it's quaint, with some good crab-shack type seafood places. I'd check out Pawleys Island, too.

Garden City would probably be equally expensive, but maybe not as nice. Most of the houses are a little more cramped, and it is geared a little more for high school age rentals, etc.. It used to be overrun by high school kids every Spring Break and First Week, that may still happen. But it still would be a perfectly good place. Surfside is similar to Garden City, maybe not quite as youth-oriented.

I haven't spent a ton of time at the Charleston beaches, but Isle of Palms is very developed and fairly new. Folly Beach is overrun with college students. Sullivans Island is my favorite in that area, it is a really small, really cool place.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:07 PM

59 posts, read 201,959 times
I just spent one month in Surfside, checking the area out. Housing prices in the following areas are out of sight for me: Murrells Inlet, Surfside , Litchfield, Garden City (new developments are 200+andhigher on the opposite side of the beach accesses aross the highway). Conway is more affordable, but growing fast and getting expensive in some areas. I liked Mount Pleasant and as far as the kids, it all depends on their interests. I might have to move to Surfside and I know I"ll miss the sophistication of city life a bit, but I guess it all takes time getting used to. I also hated being there during Bike Week and Black Bike Weekend, both weeks were full of motorcycles, loud noise, jammed traffic in all directions from Georgetown to Myrtle Beach, it was a mess. Most people leave or stay in during those two periods of motorcycle mania.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:46 AM

Thanks for the insights......what does mt.pleasant have that the other areas don't? Is it still beach accessable?

Old 09-15-2006, 07:28 AM

890 posts, read 4,332,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoe View Post
Thanks for the insights......what does mt.pleasant have that the other areas don't? Is it still beach accessable?
Mount Pleasant has a population of around 60k+. It also is loaded with your typical shopping and restaurant chains. Those other areas have much smaller populations and are not as developed. Yes, it has close proximity to the beach. IOP and Sullivan's Island.

Where do you live now?

Old 09-15-2006, 09:14 AM

we live at the jersey shore, so we want to be at easy access to the beach, but not necessarily on top of it. Do you know anything about john's island or james island? We don't want to live in a secluded area, at the same time, don't want to live in the middle of a tourist area, been there ,done that!

Old 09-15-2006, 10:24 AM

I wouldn't recommend James Island, I don't think it's the kind of atmosphere you are looking for. It is very crowded there.

It might be easier to determine an area based on what you are looking for.....house? condo? townhouse?.....and the price range. Keep in mind too that most all are going to have homeowner dues. The condos and the townhomes can get pretty steep. We were looking for condos in the Myrtle Beach area and the homeowners dues were anywhere from $300 to $700 per month.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:47 AM

we are looking for a house. we will be youngish (50"s)retired with older kids when we move down permanently in 6 yrs. want to be close enough to stuff to do, but don't want to live too close to a congested tourist area. we are considering from n.mrytle down to charleston area. Access to a nice ocean beach is very important, within 10 or 15 minutes. Thanks again all for your help!

Old 09-15-2006, 11:55 AM

Well you seem to be looking in all the right areas. Although in 6 years who knows what it will be like there. It just keeps growing and growing out that way. You might want to check out Edisto Island and Kiawah Island, both of which are within reason of Charleston. Good Luck!

Old 09-10-2007, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,714 times
Smile relocating to the Myrtle Beach area

MadJoe, as one who has lived East of the Cooper River forever, I would be glad to share advice re: where to consider moving. I am not a realtor, but a retired teacher who still loves the area. Mt. Pleasant has a lot to offer; however, the traffic has become something of a problem, depending on where you live. I am now outside MP in a waterfront community where the homes are not too pretentious and the living is easy. If you would enjoy the boating, crabbing, and fishing along the Intracoastal Waterway, this may be something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area