Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,582 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of posts in different threads regarding the cost of living here compared to places like New York.

While it is true that income levels are generally lower here than in many northern states, there are certainly opportunities to earn a good income while enjoying the lower cost of living. It all depends on your occupation. If you are in hospitality or recreation (such as golf), opportunity is abundant. I am a real estate agent and I make good money even in a questionable market.

Also, a lot depends on your reason for relocating. If you are retiring and looking for a great climate and inexpensive real estate then this is the place. Compared to many places up north you can get much more home for your money down here and also enjoy a life of leisure with all the ammenities this area has to offer (without the crowds and chaos of resort cities that are more developed). This area offers great shopping, dining, nightlife and incredible golf!

So if you are considering relocating to the Myrtle Beach area consider the occupation you plan to pursue...if you are experience in the hospitality industry or recreation you will find an abundance of opportunity here...especially now with spring around the corner.

If you are retiring, this is the perfect place...since property is so inexpensive and you do not have to concern yourself with the pursuit of a career.

I've been here for six years and I love it. I live in a raised beach house about four blocks from the ocean. I can hear the ocean from my balcony and I'm buying a golf cart to cruise the neighborhood in (one of the primary modes of transportation here!). I find the people to be wonderful and the spring and autumn seasons seem to last forever! Winters are nothing compared to the New York and even Virginia winters I'm used to (Winter temperatures average in the mid 50's and we frequently see temperatures in the 60's and 70's)!

I guess every area is what you make of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 11,150 times
We are young boomers planning to retire and are considering 55+ communities at Lakeside Crossing between Myrtle Beach and Conway and Boiling Springs near Spartanburg. Can anyone tell me about Lakeside Crossing and Boiling Springs areas how those areas are for young retirees?

I am an event planner with some marketing materials design experience. Any suggestions for employers in the area?

Last edited by Wild Grammy; 01-30-2010 at 03:54 PM..

Old 01-30-2010, 05:09 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,677 times
Quote:
If you are retiring, this is the perfect place...since property is so inexpensive and you do not have to concern yourself with the pursuit of a career...
Tonite's toast: "May the last 100 miles of I-73 have only one exit, guiding all traffic directly to your driveway."

BTW, in the interest of full disclosure, I believe the forum guidelines suggest all real estate agents register appropriately, so that you are properly ID'ed: "Real estate agents should join the usergroup for them here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/profile.php?do=editusergroups. It will set your user title and add an icon next to your name, so you will get free advertising with your posts."

Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,033 times
Default Relocating

We are very fond of the the Myrtle Beach area and we planning to relocate soon.My husband will retire from NYC Corrections, but I may want to continue to working as a guidance counselor or teacher ( I hold both licenses). How is the job market? Can you give me any information on the quality of health care in the area? We will be visiting this August and I would welcome suggestions on neighborhoods to visit. We would enjoy an area with sidewalks and we require access to a lap pool and full service fitness center. We probably would prefer a townhouse. Thanks

Old 04-13-2012, 06:38 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
Quality of health care is great. Grand Strand Hospital is also a Trauma hospital.
Waccamaw Hospital is also here in the south end.
I would look into Tidewater Plantation for a home. They also have two pools there.
Other then that Island Green has an indoor lap pool and a fitness center. Island Green also has some townhomes. There is also outdoor pools.
Not sure about seeing sidewalks. They are not a common thing in most developments here.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:04 PM

790 posts, read 1,620,754 times
You should also check out Tuscany. Nice townhomes, pool, amenities center and fitness center.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:47 PM

7 posts, read 10,134 times
Default Also Curious

I am researching MB as a retirement area as well. I am looking for a neighborhood. I enjoy homes with character. So far, I love the cottages at the Market Commons, I am just concerned that my son who is 14 would hate it. Any great places for me to see? Thank-you.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 PM

790 posts, read 1,620,754 times
Actually, Market Commons is a place that I would think that most teens would like...lots to do, a park, baseball fields, soccer fields, etc....within walking distance (if he doesn't mind a little hike) to the beach. Lots of free activities/concerts during the summer. You would need to check out the actual neighborhood where the houses are to see if there are kids his age...could be mostly young adults or retirees in that area.

As far as homes with character...depends on your definition of "character." To some, it means an older home with lots of unique features...to others it means bigger/not cookie cutter...while to others it means the exterior can be plain but the inside is dressed to the max. Define character and I'm sure that folks on this board can give you some ideas.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,542,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit2412 View Post
I am researching MB as a retirement area as well. I am looking for a neighborhood. I enjoy homes with character. So far, I love the cottages at the Market Commons, I am just concerned that my son who is 14 would hate it. Any great places for me to see? Thank-you.
It is good to do research on your own. But finding a realtor you can trust will help a lot.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:53 AM

214 posts, read 649,663 times
Nice sales pitch, how do I contact you to buy a home??? ........that's sarcasm btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area