Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:10 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,790,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbasmommy View Post
Well, things slow down a bit during the winter months but not really to a ghost town..not anymore...the golfers and snowbirds are in abudance during those months...now I can pretty much guarantee someone here on this board will disagree with what I am about to say...but so be it...I calls them like I sees them!!!!
This area is getting to be the Florida of the south...meaning retirees are flocking here left and right....due to weather, cost of living...etc....if I were you, I would reconsider Wilimington...plan a trip to Wilmington and then decide...I wish so badly I would have decided to go to Wilmington myself...we are in our 40's....the city is alive and thriving...we go to just get that "city feeling" at least once a month....unfortunately my hubby is paid more here in the position he is in or we would be moving....I bide my time until we move...which may be another 1 1/2 years....due to personal reasons...anyway, I digress!!! I am not saying you couldn't find younger neighborhoods but if you have a choice..visit each area and then decide....best wishes!!!

I agree!! Also Charleston. If I could do it over, thats where I would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 12:17 PM

790 posts, read 1,626,792 times
JMC4--I think finding people your age will depend on 2 things...1. the neighborhood you choose to live in and 2. how involved you get in your kids' schools. Schools are a great place to meet people of the same age group...get involved in the PTA, volunteer, attend events/concerts, etc at the school and you'll have lots of opportunities to meet people of similar age and probably similar interests since most people's lives revolve around their kids activities.

As far as a neighborhood, you have to be observant when you look through the neighborhood because, by law, your agent is not allowed to give you the demographics of the neighborhood. Are there swing sets, are there kids outside playing (although lots of kids don't play much outside any more), are there toys, balls, etc. in the yard, are there car seats in the cars in the driveways, etc? Stop and talk to people who are walking in the neighborhood or in their yards and talk to them about the age mix and about the neighborhood in general. When we were looking around, my wife was amazed that I would stop and talk to people to find out more about the area in which we were looking, but what better way to find out than to talk to the "natives" that live there. I'm very pleased when people stop in our current neighborhood and ask questions. I've been in their shoes and know it's helpful to get information. Don't be shy...just ask!

Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 PM

44 posts, read 128,076 times
Thanks everyone for your helpful input! Seeing as though Wilmington isn't too far from MB I will have to check it out on my next trip down...

Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,694,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbasmommy View Post
Well, things slow down a bit during the winter months but not really to a ghost town..not anymore...the golfers and snowbirds are in abudance during those months...now I can pretty much guarantee someone here on this board will disagree with what I am about to say...but so be it...I calls them like I sees them!!!!
This area is getting to be the Florida of the south...meaning retirees are flocking here left and right....due to weather, cost of living...etc....if I were you, I would reconsider Wilimington...plan a trip to Wilmington and then decide...I wish so badly I would have decided to go to Wilmington myself...we are in our 40's....the city is alive and thriving...we go to just get that "city feeling" at least once a month....unfortunately my hubby is paid more here in the position he is in or we would be moving....I bide my time until we move...which may be another 1 1/2 years....due to personal reasons...anyway, I digress!!! I am not saying you couldn't find younger neighborhoods but if you have a choice..visit each area and then decide....best wishes!!!
I agree retirees are flocking to Myrtle Beach. I think because of all there is to do here. The golf, the beach, the walkways at Broadway and Barefoot.
The Brookgreen Gardens, and all the State Parks. Not to miss the 100 golf courses and the many festivals going on in our local parks. Also the local festivals in Conway. Conway is a wonderful walking town of little shops with unique things and antiques also.
For a more city feeling I'd walk the streets of Market Commons and enjoy all there is to offer there. They have a great Barnes and Nobles and fantastic movie theater. For all ages of course.
When I want to feel more cityish I just go to Charleston and tour around.
A stop on Fridays at 3PM at the Citidel will get you a seat at their parade and it is very interesting to watch for sure. Your children would probably like to tour the citidel also and see the parade.
Winters here are busier then they use to be. The past three years or so have given us more locals to join in the surrounds of Myrtle Beach.
I love the people here especially the transplants I meet at the beach, the dog park, and in restaurants. The locals can't be more gracious and are always so happy and cheerful.
But, there are many family communities and the two I mentioned are just two of many.
I would say that the "Gates" and " The Lakes" also have a good number of children. The Lakes being in a more out of the resort area location.
There are a lot of positives and one being our weather which is tops.
Best of luck in your adventure of finding a new home.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:04 AM

44 posts, read 128,076 times
Thank you Summering for your positive feedback! I must say, MB has very friendly locals! I was very impressed, and honestly surprised (being a northeasterner myself!) at how friendly everyone was to us!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM

Yes, I am surprised everyday that I go out. Locals are just so sweet and kind.....I use to love the license plate that said " Smiling faces, beautiful Places" because that is how I feel about this area.

Sometimes the people we meet are new transplants. Sometimes it is someone thinking about moving here or perhaps a snowbird. All in all they want to talk, and have conversations, about your location. They want to know where you came from, and what brought you here.
It is such a pet friendly location here in the south end that many will discus their dogs and how they obtained them, trained them, or even showed them at one time or another.

Days are busy and nights are too.....This is a busy and fun place to live in. Our Myrtle Beach...

Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC4 View Post
Hello
My family and I are seriously considering relocating to the Myrtle Beach area from upstate NY. My husband and I are a relatively young couple and have three children; a baby and two young school aged kids. My parents recently relocated to Carolina Forest. I like the subdivisions, but am not sure if I like how they are all off of one main street (Carolina Forest Blvd). Maybe that is because where I grew up I used to be able to walk to a corner store. restaurant. and the ball field, etc. It's just... different. It seems like everything is all highway around there. Maybe that's just because I don't know the area well. We've also looked at Surfside Beach (loved it there) and Murrel's Inlet.
So my question is this: Where is the best place in those areas for us? It's hard to tell just by 'looks' of a neighborhood. Is there another area you recommend? I'm a registered nurse, so being near a hospital would be a plus. My husband is in construction. We would like to rent first, and then buy. Our price range for a home would be around $175k-200k. We would like a family friendly neighborhood with great schools. An area where there are many families with children would be nice. Low crime, and not in the middle of all the touristy things is also important. A beach within short driving distance is a plus.
The amount of researching I've been doing is so overwhelming, and the information is so conflicting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to hear positive and negatives about the areas I've mentioned, and also about other areas that I may be interested in that I don't know exist! Please help!
just moved to Loris, sc 23 miles from coast, but great small city with higher ranking school system. Love the area. also had to get SC nursing license. took about month you do need sc address and drivers license had to send lots of info to the board but they update what you need everytime you need to send something in. cost total was little over $150.00 I came from a non compact state so if your license is in compact state will be much easier.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:02 AM

People seem to love Loris. I have to visit there oneday and check it out. I have a lot of learning to do about my new homestate.
So far I have enjoyed so much here. There is never a dull moment.
Would Conway Hospital be the closest hospital to Loris? I know here in Myrtle Beach we have Conways Hospital, Waccamaw, and The Strand Hospitals. The Strand being the largest, and a trauma hospital.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,999 times
There is a hospital in Loris, it is part of McLeod Health. also short drive to Marion hospital and North Myrtle Beach.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:25 PM

70 posts, read 163,995 times
what schools in horry are regarded the best???..and what family communities are located within these schools??..boys ages 8 and 12..so middle and high school would be my concern!!!..looking for a family community near the beach...thanks!!! retired nypd..and wife is currently RN...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area