Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 06:26 AM

75 posts, read 97,873 times

Advertisements

While playing a round of golf the other day the starter informed me that 3 golf course he knew of will be closing in the coming 6 months. They are Beachwood Golf, Possum Trot and Waterway Hills. I had heard about Waterway Hills and it seems the land was sold to be developed. Anyone else confirm this or others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 05:43 PM

285 posts, read 641,428 times
Waterway Hills is the most likely candidate to close in the next 6 months, as the Lstar corporation is looking into buying the property and turning it into housing. Lstar is the same group that purchased the Grand Dunes development. There is another group interested in developing the land between Barefoot and Waterway Hills, but I'm not sure if that proposal intends to close the golf course.

Beachwood is the next likely candidate to close, but probably not within the next 6 months. They were actually looking to close down years ago but then the real estate market tanked and since then haven't heard much. I personally think Azalea Sands will close down before Beachwood since it's in worse condition, gets less play and has to resort to gimmicks (caddy girls, 8 inch holes) to get players. So I think Beachwood is safe for the next 6 months, but I think in the 1-5 year time frame it will be gone eventually.

IMO, no way Possum Trot will close any time soon. So I think the starter's info is off on this one. The course does so much business and has such a great practice facility that is constantly being used. I'd be VERY surprised if Possum closed for redevelopment.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:52 AM

leetchy,

Thanks for yuour thoughts on the matter.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:04 PM

Of course WIcked Stick is slated to close on May 11th.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:39 AM

Thank goodness.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:15 AM

59,434 posts, read 27,594,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetchy2 View Post
Waterway Hills is the most likely candidate to close in the next 6 months, as the Lstar corporation is looking into buying the property and turning it into housing. Lstar is the same group that purchased the Grand Dunes development. There is another group interested in developing the land between Barefoot and Waterway Hills, but I'm not sure if that proposal intends to close the golf course.

Beachwood is the next likely candidate to close, but probably not within the next 6 months. They were actually looking to close down years ago but then the real estate market tanked and since then haven't heard much. I personally think Azalea Sands will close down before Beachwood since it's in worse condition, gets less play and has to resort to gimmicks (caddy girls, 8 inch holes) to get players. So I think Beachwood is safe for the next 6 months, but I think in the 1-5 year time frame it will be gone eventually.

IMO, no way Possum Trot will close any time soon. So I think the starter's info is off on this one. The course does so much business and has such a great practice facility that is constantly being used. I'd be VERY surprised if Possum closed for redevelopment.
I just played Beachwood and it was crowded, as usual. In great shape.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:33 PM

L-star corp has just purchased Waterway Hills GC. They will develop this land into real estate eventually, however no closing date has been set and no development plans have been filed. The article mentions they will take a "cautious and measured" approach in re-developing the property. Sounds like the golf course will remain open for a while but will eventually close in the 1-2 year time frame as my best guess. Here's the article link:

LStar purchases Waterway Hills, may expand Grande Dunes | Golf | MyrtleBeachOnline.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area